normal wear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : normal wear?

mserr
12-29-2010, 00:53
The end of my recoil spring plug is showing significant wear. Being my first 1911 I'm unsure if its normal or not. The barrel bushing has seemed to have rubbed off the parkerizing, and even slightly flattened some of the peaks of the knurling. Normal?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mserr/DSCN0829.jpg

CAcop
12-29-2010, 01:57
I've worn the ring around the plug before. The knurling gets worn when you don't push it far enough down.

mserr
12-29-2010, 12:13
yeah, the bushing requires a bushing wrench so it only gets pushed down enough with the wrench to pass it, nothing I can do about it I guess.

GJ1981
12-29-2010, 12:24
nothing I can do about it I guess.

You can take the slide off as a whole and reassembly in the same fashion. It's tricky at first but once you do it a few times it's pretty easy.

Doing it this way you can use your wrench with the barrel out of battery, and obviously, you don't have to worry about the plug.

Around the 6 minute mark shows this method

http://www.youtube.com/user/edbrown1946#p/a/u/0/WcPrJNoFJQA

Overall, the wear is totally normal. I don't worry about wear anyway so...

mserr
12-29-2010, 12:43
I wont care about it after I've had it awhile, its still new so I'm babying it. I'll just get a stainless plug if it starts to really bother me.

Quack
12-29-2010, 13:07
Or you could install a FLGR and not have scratches.

MD357
12-29-2010, 13:45
The end of my recoil spring plug is showing significant wear. Being my first 1911 I'm unsure if its normal or not. The barrel bushing has seemed to have rubbed off the parkerizing, and even slightly flattened some of the peaks of the knurling. Normal?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/mserr/DSCN0829.jpg

Only if you shoot your 1911. Crazy isn't it? :supergrin:

tango44
12-29-2010, 13:48
Perfectly normal!

Jim S.
12-29-2010, 14:38
If that is normal then is it also normal that a new (I'm assuming) Springfield Range Officer needs a bushing wrench to remove the bushing?
I would wonder about that.
It's a stainless bushing so I would work on it a bit to make it easier to remove without a wrench.
It doesn't have to be so tight in the frame that it requires a wrench.
Nice and snug on the barrel, and snug in the frame. But not wrench tight?

HAIL CAESAR
12-29-2010, 17:16
Only if you shoot your 1911. Crazy isn't it? :supergrin:

Perfectly normal!

I agree. The too best post yet.
And yes, pistols that get shot and torn down to clean do get wear.:rofl:

You should be proud because it looks used.

mserr
12-29-2010, 17:17
my RO bushing doesnt budge without a barrel wrench, even with the spring/plug removed I still have to use a barrel wrench to move it.

Jim S.
12-30-2010, 09:07
my RO bushing doesnt budge without a barrel wrench, even with the spring/plug removed I still have to use a barrel wrench to move it.

If you have never worked on a 1911 before then you have to find someone who has or have a gunsmith look at it for you.
I see no reason for the bushing on this gun to be that tight that it needs a wrench to get out of the frame.
Look at the shiney rubbed areas on the bushing.
You can use fine sandpaper to start polishing these areas and though it is a long and tedious process you will start to feel the bushing getting easier to turn.
Look into the slide and see if there is a rough spot in the groove that the bushing locks into.
If not then leave the slide alone and simply work on the bushing until it is easier to turn.
When you get it where you want it, don't forget the drop of oil on the outside of the bushing when reassembling.

mserr
12-30-2010, 13:09
It seems to be a bit easier now that I shot a few hundred rounds through it, still can't move it by hand though. Also relubed the whole gun with some new stuff I got, maybe that'll help. Right now I'm not planning on doing anything to it, gonna see if it'll loosen up with use first.

Jim S.
12-31-2010, 08:27
There isn't much going to help loosen the barrel bushing slide fit from use.
Maybe if you sat there and kept turning it with your wrench a million times.
There are high spots on the bushing that would need to be smoothed out.
You will see them on the bushing when you remove it from the slide.
It is also possible that the slide has a litle roughness in the bushing slot.
You can see that too if you look closely.
A bushing that is snug, but yet able to be turned by hand will not negatively effect the accuracy of the gun.
That is related more to the barrel fit to the inside of the bushing.
I have found that most Springers are not very snug in this area.
Not that it is not good enough for normal use though.
I am not telling you what to do but at least look at the outside of the bushing where the high points are being rubbed shiney.
Also look in the slide for a metal booger that shouldn't be there.
Other than that enjoy your new gun and shoot it a lot.
1911's get better with use.

cole
12-31-2010, 12:04
Consider it a tool and you'll be fine. I also fret more when it's new, but that wears off.