Saiga 12 ammunition [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 12 ammunition

pal2511
12-29-2010, 03:37
Bought the Saiga 12 gauge not too long ago and I just shot it the other day. Against everybody's opinions I shot it with the Walmart Federal Universal low brass ammunition. It cycled through 3 or 4 shots then kept jamming up failing to eject. I did not try it with the high brass because it was honestly getting too cold outside! Does anyone reccomend a certain brand of ammunition and type for general shooting of targets and possibly clays

Jon_R
12-29-2010, 06:21
I don't own one but I had a shooter a couple 3-gun matches ago that during a run he was having problems with cheap ammo and adjusted the gas system and then it was 100%. After the stage I asked why and he said he had forgot to change it back from the previous weekend when he was shooting buck.

Do they all have adjustable gas systems? Have you tried that?

We have ~3 S12 in our matches and they all run low brass stuff. I assume it to be cheap rounds.

Scattergun1187
12-29-2010, 06:23
Setting 1 is for Heavy loads(Less gas) and setting 2 is for lighter loads(More gas).
I was told never to use Walmart Federal Universal or you will have nothing but problems. Will at Red Jacket Firearms told me to use 1 1/8oz. shot for practice and nothing under this. Here is a link on Tromix's site that might help also.
You can also look into getting a MD Arms gas plug that has 4 settings. Instead of the 2 settings on the factory plug.

http://www.tromix.com/saiga-servicetips.htm

Raleigh Glocker
12-29-2010, 06:26
There is a Saiga forum where you will find all the info you need on this, but basically, you have a few things that get in the way of proper cycling:
1. Misaligned or misdrilled gas ports. Solution is to drill them out.
2. Rough parts. Solution is to polish them.
3. Not broken in. Solution is to run 300 rounds of cheap high brass before worrying too much about #1 or #2.
4. Didn't spend enough money on it in the first place. Solution is to send it and $900 off to Tromix or E-Tac and get a great gun back.
:)

pal2511
12-29-2010, 15:23
Setting 1 is for Heavy loads(Less gas) and setting 2 is for lighter loads(More gas).
I was told never to use Walmart Federal Universal or you will have nothing but problems. Will at Red Jacket Firearms told me to use 1 1/8oz. shot for practice and nothing under this. Here is a link on Tromix's site that might help also.
You can also look into getting a MD Arms gas plug that has 4 settings. Instead of the 2 settings on the factory plug.

http://www.tromix.com/saiga-servicetips.htm

Yes I saw that before...thats where I got the information not to shoot it but I decided to anyhow :)

I am going to look at the replacement gas port but I am gonna tear my gun down and make sure its lubed up properly and see how bad the oem gas port is drilled out. Hope its not too bad :)
I figured a couple hundred rounds of high brass should knock any burrs off the system

I was using gas port setting #2

pal2511
12-29-2010, 15:23
I thought I read that winchester AA works well on it

Draven21
12-29-2010, 18:14
None of the cheap birdshot worked perfectly in mine. A couple hundred rounds later, everything runs in it. I like Estate for cheap shooting.

chance3290
12-30-2010, 09:29
My 5 and 10 rounds mags ran fine with whatever. Then I put the 20rd drum in. First time I've shot it in a couple of years. It kept jamming. I'm hoping to find time to load up so AA and go shoot again to see if working or not.

cricketdave
01-01-2011, 17:00
hi, the remington nitro express works good in mine.

take it easy
cricket

bigdough666
01-02-2011, 16:56
EVERYTHING works in my Saiga 12. Never had it jam ONCE on me. I've fired just about everything, from the cheap Walmart low brass stuff to high brass magnum buck and slugs.

pal2511
01-03-2011, 05:16
Lucky!