Just Got A Mossberg 590 Mariner for Xmas, now I have some questions... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just Got A Mossberg 590 Mariner for Xmas, now I have some questions...

MaximaDrvr
12-29-2010, 13:12
Well some of my questions are basics, and some are preferences.
I have handled many break-barrel shotguns, but this is my first pump.
It will be 80% HD, beside my glock. I've already got 00 buck for it.

I see people taking about a 590, and a 590A1. I only see a 590A1 listed on their website. Is the difference only in the length of what people type, or is there an actual difference?

The gun has a 20'' barrel and an equal length mag tube. I was looking for a longer barrel so I could take this to the fields for clays. I can't find any. Do they sell 28'' barrels for the 590? If not, does a 500 barrel fit?

The gun only has the front bead sight and nothing in the rears. Should I worry about adding different sights? The receiver is tapped for a pic rail or sights.

Are there any necessities that I will need and haven't thought about or don't have?

Thanks from the SG noob.

glockfan9
12-29-2010, 13:20
i can't asnswer anything mossberg specific but to the others..

The gun only has the front bead sight and nothing in the rears. Should I worry about adding different sights? The receiver is tapped for a pic rail or sights.

not needed, especially for home defense, if you plan on shooting clays or anything else maybe some ghost rings?

Are there any necessities that I will need and haven't thought about or don't have?

each person has a different opinion but for a HD shotgun only things i would really call necessities would be maybe sling, tac light, maybe side saddle..
- good luck!

NAS T MAG
12-29-2010, 13:55
Here is my Mossberg that is only meant for HD. Laser, light, Sidesaddle and 00 shot. It sets next to my recliner.
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/NAS-T-MAG/Mossberg500TacticalCruiser.jpg

MaximaDrvr
12-29-2010, 14:38
Thanks.

Here it is in its brand new glory.
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww83/MaximaDrvr/DSC05535.jpg

ZekerMan
12-29-2010, 14:51
Thats a nice Virgin Mariner!! I would get a sidesaddle for starters.

dorkweed
12-29-2010, 14:56
Thanks.

Here it is in its brand new glory.
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww83/MaximaDrvr/DSC05535.jpg

My advise to would be this......................practice with it "as is"!!!! You don't need all the "tactiCOOL" gismos on a shotgun for HD. By practice, I mean go to a trap/skeet range and put 500/1000 rounds thru it to get proficient with it. Then you'll probably want to get into the "scenario based" shooting. Do a search here and you'll find plenty of info. Just my .02 cents. But given inflation and such, my .02 cents ain't worth crap now!!

MaximaDrvr
12-29-2010, 15:06
I'm familiar with this "as is" approach.
I already do the GSSF matches with my glocks and those are as plain as can be.
I have some ARs that love killing paper, though they have some add-ons.
Honestly, I was just surprised that there was no rear sight. I'm sure I'll end up killing clay in the not to distant future.

BTW, I'll give you a penny for your two cents.

Sheepdog Scout
12-29-2010, 15:43
The 590/590A1 etc are all listed on Mossbergs website, it's just not laid out very well. You have a very good shotgun right there, especially for wet environments. The main differences between 590 and 590A1 models are that the A1 models have a few extra metal parts, as the 590 have plastic. The trigger guard and safety are metal on the A1 and the A1 has heavier/thicker barrel.

MaximaDrvr
12-29-2010, 15:47
Thanks.
Any idea on the longer barrel or interchangability (is that a word?)

Victoriagotagun
12-29-2010, 16:02
I see people taking about a 590, and a 590A1. I only see a 590A1 listed on their website. Is the difference only in the length of what people type, or is there an actual difference?

The gun has a 20'' barrel and an equal length mag tube. I was looking for a longer barrel so I could take this to the fields for clays. I can't find any. Do they sell 28'' barrels for the 590? If not, does a 500 barrel fit?

The difference between the 590 and the A1 models is that the A1 models have a metal trigger guard,safety,and a thicker barrel. They do not make a 28" barrel that will fit a 20" A1 model and 500 barrels will not fit. The longer 835 barrels will fit an 18.5" A1 model though.

You shouldn't be worried about adding different sights just yet. If the factory stock is too long for you then you can think about adding a Mossberg Bantam stock or a Hogue 12"LOP stock. A white light wouldn't be a bad choice either if this is going to be used for HD.

Sheepdog Scout
12-29-2010, 16:26
Thanks.
Any idea on the longer barrel or interchangability (is that a word?)

You're outta luck on that I believe.

KK40384
12-29-2010, 20:23
As far as barrels go you're out of luck. If you're going to use it for HD the only additions I would suggest is a side saddle and a good light and spend the rest on ammo and practice shooting and reloading drills.

dc2integra
12-29-2010, 21:14
Have you ever considered a knoxx spec ops recoil reducing stock?

glockfan9
12-29-2010, 21:24
^ I know I have, got my 870 two days ago and im gunna try to get one at the gunshow this weekend. one afternoon of shooting 3" shells made the decision for me lol

Chuche2
12-29-2010, 22:08
I put the 12" LOP stock on mine and a fiber optic front sight. Hi-Vis makes them and they snap in the barrel and index on the front bead. I also added a side saddle shell carrier.

MrMurphy
12-30-2010, 01:28
You don't need 3" magnums for defense.

Low recoil Federal, Hornady or Remington buckshot is the way to go.

glockfan9
12-30-2010, 09:35
You don't need 3" magnums for defense.

Low recoil Federal, Hornady or Remington buckshot is the way to go.
ya i learned that the hard way, first time shooting was with 3" mag 00 buck, not fun lol
- gunna pick up some 2 3/4 asap.

Aceman
12-30-2010, 12:53
Well some of my questions are basics, and some are preferences.
I have handled many break-barrel shotguns, but this is my first pump.
It will be 80% HD, beside my glock. I've already got 00 buck for it.

Yes - A1 is the higher end version. Sturdier. Marginally.

No and No. the 590 is EXPLICITLY a HD/SD shotgun. Not in anyway intended for sport. No choke, no barrels over 20" Absolutely the wrong gun for multi-purpose. That said - no reason NOT to shoot trap with it. Just not the tool of choice. Go buy a used 500 w/ 28" barrel.

No worry. As an HD gun - you could add a red dot or ghost rings. I like a circle dot for SG actually. But at indoor social ranges, you'll be fine with the bead.

#1 Tac light. I like a tri-rail on the mag tube with a Surefire G2 led. Cheap and extremely functional. essential for things that go bump in the night and target ID.
#2 Speedfeed stock or side saddle. Nice to have extra/optional ammo like a slug or two available.
#3 Low recoil buck for indoor work
- I like a sling for various reasons, but the call is 50/50 on bonus/problem for those.

Practice, practice, practice, and develop an HD plan for the home. Then practice that too.

Jon_R
12-30-2010, 18:38
I got a 590, 590A1, and a Mossberg 500 Mariner. :) I like them.

If you want to shoot some clay for fun just shoot it as is. It is not great for clay but it can bust them. If you want something a little better for clay but cheap just pick up a Maverick 88 or 500 field.

Look for an IDPA Multi-gun or USPSA 3-Gun match to get some more practical shotgunning in.