For a first time AR purchase [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For a first time AR purchase

gunslinger3
12-29-2010, 15:50
Would this be a good starter gun for my first?

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_MAZ-C1516SLORC.asp

bigdollars
12-29-2010, 16:44

Bushmaster is fine but you are probably better off just getting the rifle and then getting the red dot seperate. I don't know how good the one they are giving is.

eotech has some good red dots that are just a few hundred. aimpoint cost more but have a better battery life and are lighter.

ScrappyDoo
12-29-2010, 19:05
Yeah bro I just got a pretty awesome Bushmaster as my first AR and despite it being my "first" and it's a Bushmaster (which I like) instead of this board's undying love BCM or at least Colt/Daniel Defense, I consider it an awesome rifle and really short of it dying or breaking on me, it's going to be my carbine for a long while.

NeverMore1701
12-29-2010, 19:55
You can generally do much better for about the same money. Always good to get the best for the money, right?

KK40384
12-29-2010, 20:08
I'd look into Stag over Bushmaster in that same price range.

mixflip
12-29-2010, 20:25

Fisrt figure out if you want...

1/9 twist vs 1/7 twist rifling?
M4 feed ramps vs rifle feed ramps?
individual tested & inspected parts vs batch tested parts?
4150chromoly vanadium steel barrel vs 4140 cromoly steel barrel?

All these higher end features can be had for $100 to $200 more on a BCM or Spikes. If non of these features matter to you then go for it. Only you will know what you are going to do with the gun and if you aint gonna run it through the ringer then you'll be fine.

Camu Mahubah
12-30-2010, 02:40
You do realize the upper and lower on this rifle are made of "composite". Plastic pretty much. I know this is a Glock forum and all so nobody should really have hatred of the material but I'm just saying...

If you do buy it let us know... Run the heck out of it and see if it breaks!

KK40384
12-30-2010, 06:16
You do realize the upper and lower on this rifle are made of "composite". Plastic pretty much. I know this is a Glock forum and all so nobody should really have hatred of the material but I'm just saying...

:dunno:what are you talking about??:dunno:

K. Foster
12-30-2010, 07:31

In one word?......No.
Bushmaster does not have the best reputation. Their carbon guns have a horrible reputation. That gun has no provision for a front sight. The stock is the old style CAR and the scope is Chinese crap.
Look at Spikes before you buy that.

vafish
12-30-2010, 07:54

It's a Carbon-15 model.

From Bushmasters website:

Product Description:

The Bushmaster C15 Model 4 Carbines are a unique hybridization of traditional AR-15 type features with space-age Carbon 15 composite molded Receivers for light weight and rugged durability.

* Upper & Lower Receivers molded of durable, water resistant Carbon 15 Composite with Operational Controls same as any AR15 type firearm. Color Coded Safety Lever markings on both sides of Receiver for quick visual check of firing condition.

Beware Owner
12-30-2010, 08:14
I say Bushmaster is fine, I have one, no problems yet. However, they are right, if you can get a higher end gun, go for it. Stag, BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, Spikes. And get the scope separately.

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2010, 08:19

He is completely correct,....the model show is a Carbon 15.
I would not recommend it to even my Ex-wife

mixflip
12-30-2010, 11:41
LOL, ^ good comment. I have to use that one some day!

mjkeat
12-30-2010, 12:25
Im going to sound like a broken record but... Skip on the BM. Buy a BCM for roughly $810 then save for a red dot. A decent red dot can be had from PrimaryArms for $158 w/ a great QD mount.

zhix
12-30-2010, 13:18
Many of the major parts (barrel, bolt carrier group) for my own build I got from BCM, but if I was buying a complete gun IMO Stag Arms is hard to beat for the money.

KK40384
12-30-2010, 13:58
It's a Carbon-15 model.

From Bushmasters website:

I missed that entire paragraph. OOPS :embarassed:

mikekjg
12-30-2010, 14:00
Hile, Gunslinger...

Consider this...

BCM Blem lower from G&R Tactical for $250....add a stock of your choosing.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DMID%2D16

This upper is $520 including BCG and CH.

Add an MOE midlength handguard and a rear MBUS and you have a MUCH better rifle for maybe $100 more.

Camu Mahubah
12-30-2010, 14:12
I missed that entire paragraph. OOPS :embarassed:

It's easy enough to do. Cabela's had a special on them around Christmas time and I was thinking of buying one. Then when I started researching them I realized the gun wasn't exactly what I thought it was. I don't wanna slander the product in anyway. Just wanted the OP to know what he was buying. I wouldn't mind having one I guess if I found it cheap enough, but for my first AR, no way jose!

So I decided to roll my own! I built a nice one for $790 so it can be done relatively cheap and still use good parts.

NeverMore1701
12-30-2010, 14:52
Hile, Gunslinger...

Consider this...

BCM Blem lower from G&R Tactical for $250....add a stock of your choosing.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DMID%2D16

This upper is $520 including BCG and CH.

Add an MOE midlength handguard and a rear MBUS and you have a MUCH better rifle for maybe $100 more.

Exactly. I would have posted almost that exact same thing in my first post, but have been away from my computer, and the phone is a pain to post with sometimes :embarassed:

chineseboxer
12-30-2010, 15:56
i'd look into stag over bushmaster in that same price range.

+1!!!!

RMTactical
12-30-2010, 17:04
You can do better for the money. Stag and BCM both come to mind.