2011 - Mac Products The Target Of Malware Hacks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2011 - Mac Products The Target Of Malware Hacks

Pierre!
12-29-2010, 21:59
Yup - Heard this a couple months ago, but was waiting for additional info... so here is some additional news for the Mac among us.

Some say there are LOTS of Macs currently infected which will be used to start a flood of new exploits.

Okay Mr. Mac - Your turn on the firing line, and we will see how YOU hold up... :rofl:

The article is here:
More Mac Malware For 2011 (http://www.scmagazineus.com/more-mac-malware-common-on-2011-prediction-lists/article/193415/)

Happy New Year!
Hold On To Your Butts!

stooxie
12-30-2010, 09:22
:yawn:

Foxes guarding the hen house. This article is BS.

Say! Look at the quote I found on McAfee's own website:

"Mac users are not vulnerable to the same viruses and threats that have traditionally plagued PCs but the Internet has leveled the playing field. Mac users are now just as susceptible to online risks as PC users. With the rise in adoption of the Mac OS, hackers and thieves are increasingly focusing their efforts to develop attacks that will work on Macs."

So basically all the crackers (CRACKer is the right term, not hacker) can do is go phishing.

Please.

-Stooxie

Linux3
12-30-2010, 22:12
FUD!
I quote the link:
"Historically, the Mac OS platform has remained relatively unscathed by malicious attackers, but...the popularity of iPads (http://www.scmagazineus.com/search/iPads/) and iPhones (http://www.scmagazineus.com/search/iphones/) in business environments, combined with the lack of user understanding of proper security for these devices, will increase the risk for data and identity exposure, and will make Apple botnets and trojans a common occurrence," the company said Tuesday.

Ah, excuse me but Mac OS, i.e O.S. X is for computers. The IPad and IPhone run ios, a whole different operating system so they can not be lumped together.
Plus Apple computers use the Intel processor and the handhelds run an ARM CPU. OK Apple says it's a Apple A4 but trust me it's ARM so how can a bit of maleware that infects Intel affect ARM. Or vice versa?

Hey, all these companies like MacAfee and Norton see their market stagnating and they have to do SOMETHING! Why not FUD? They're good at it.

Pierre!
12-31-2010, 06:24
Anyway you slice it, it will shake out better for everyone.

I have no opinion, I run my MacBook and it's a fine little beast! Battery is just now giving signs of hiccups compared to the HP 8350p that required a new battery 6 to 8 months ago... Well built, reasonably fast... It's a good little machine, or I would have sold it long ago.

I would like to know that it really is Mac's turn in the crucible. I agree that all the additional devices are the draw - the phones, the iPad... with 65,000,000 more iPads on the production line, the attention of the criminals is now shifting.

This little article did raise one of my eyebrows: Apple Quietly Adds Anti-Malware Protection to OS X (http://antivirusmac.org/apple-quietly-adds-anti-malware-protection-to-os-x.html/)

2011 will be an exciting year... and we will get to see if this really does play out, or if it is indeed Marketing FUD!

Happy New Year!

stooxie
12-31-2010, 07:09
Not to split hairs but to me there is a big difference between "malware" and "viruses." Malware requires the user to download and run some program, it doesn't just happen from opening an email or mounting a disk like the classic viruses.

That said, Pierre's right, we'll see how it plays out. Just funny that people have been predicting Apple's demise in one form or another for for 30 years now, and I'm sure will do so for the rest of time.

-Stooxie

Pierre!
12-31-2010, 08:19
It's funny... I recall when the Apple platform was the ONLY operating system that was getting 'viruses'. Back in the early '90's...

Seems that Apple users were sharing their paid applications and developers were putting 'copy protection code' in to inhibit the 'Apple Software Sharing' parties that were happening.

Cleaned up a few Apples back then for sure... Plenty of worms running around, and you knew right away who was pirating software. :rofl:

W4CNG
12-31-2010, 21:36
My Imac and MacbookPro are running just fine with no virus protection software. My Windows XP and Vista machines get Virus Protection and Windows Fixes every week or so. Go Figure. When the Windows machines die, I will buy more Mac's.

Tsx
01-08-2011, 12:41
Mac can't get viruses, but malware is a whole different story. There are only a couple of malware problems for the Mac which get fixed asap by apple. The only way to get malware on a Mac is by downloading pirated applications ( you can't get malware by browsing the net or downloading regular stuff or clicking suspicious links).

A couple of years ago there was a version of iLife that was on those torrent sites for download and the person who put it on there had malware bundled with it, apple found out about it And updated there OS to disable that kinda malware.

Apples software is so cheap that there is really no need to pirate software.

GIockGuy24
01-08-2011, 13:17
Mac can't get viruses, but malware is a whole different story. There are only a couple of malware problems for the Mac which get fixed asap by apple. The only way to get malware on a Mac is by downloading pirated applications ( you can't get malware by browsing the net or downloading regular stuff or clicking suspicious links).

A couple of years ago there was a version of iLife that was on those torrent sites for download and the person who put it on there had malware bundled with it, apple found out about it And updated there OS to disable that kinda malware.

Apples software is so cheap that there is really no need to pirate software.

Mac software outside the US can be expensive. That's where most of of pirating is popular. Same with movie DVD's, a lot of trouble for little savings in America but in other countries they can be expensive and create a market for pirated copies.

JimmyN
01-08-2011, 14:26
I think technically it has to be self-replicating and spread on it's own to be a 'virus'. If you download and install it yourself then it's considered 'malware'.

Pierre!
01-08-2011, 20:05
I think technically it has to be self-replicating and spread on it's own to be a 'virus'. If you download and install it yourself then it's considered 'malware'.

HEY - Don't come around here talking logic... :cool:

Seems to me the subject does say 'malware'...

And it seems to me there was a recent 'critical patch' issued to Mac systems.

And... here is some more FUD (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/mac-apps-already-cracked-and-pirated-malware-likely-to-follow/10863) for ya... Some issues with the Mac App store?

And then Sophos came out with FREE AV/AM software (http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/free-mac-anti-virus/) (installed it today, forgot to scan... Hey, it's a Mac! Why Worry... but I'll let you know) that you can use for Home use - so one wonders what they know? I expect this kinda stuff (FUD) from McAfee, but Sophos seems a little different...

But hey, we will see in the upcoming year. Is it FUD? Yah, very possibly... but the recent popularity of Mac add on products may propel it into the spotlight!

Only time will tell...

HTH

wct097
01-08-2011, 20:13
Mac can't get viruses

You lost me there. Mac isn't immune to viri, it's just not a popular target. To say that a computer can't get a virus is ignorant. Why? Because it's Unix based? The first virus ever was Unix based. It's just a less likely target these days. But, for that matter, by your definition, I haven't seen a PC virus in almost a decade.

stooxie
01-08-2011, 20:25
You lost me there. Mac isn't immune to viri, it's just not a popular target. To say that a computer can't get a virus is ignorant. Why? Because it's Unix based? The first virus ever was Unix based. It's just a less likely target these days. But, for that matter, by your definition, I haven't seen a PC virus in almost a decade.

Unix based operating systems simply do not have the facilities for viruses to spread that were built in to Windows. What is that so hard for the world to grasp? I keep hearing this nonsense about how it's just a matter of attention.

The virus list for PCs is in the tens of thousands. Where's the virus list for Unix? Where's McAfee for Solaris or HPUX or AIX? There's no point.

-Stooxie

Pierre!
01-08-2011, 23:52
Okay, Macs may be invulnerable to viruses, but they sure can pick up Malware!

Sophos found 10 'threats' in roughly 3 different flavors on my MacBook:
Troj/JavaDl-P / L / M /
Troj/Agent-NBP
Mal/JavaKC-G

And, to make it all more wonderful - Must perform a *manual* removal of the 'threat'... No auto clean for these items. WTH?

Guess it's good I don't do Internet Banking off this little beast!

But you are right - No Viruses

Then again this thread wasn't about viruses originally...

Perhaps others will try a scan or two now.

HTH

Linux3
01-09-2011, 00:11
In 1988 Robert Morris unleashed a worm not a virus but even still the first virus was not on a Unix system but rather a PDP-10 in 1971. It was called the creeper virus by Bob Thomas. The REAPER was created to delete the Creeper. Funny, author of he Creeper is unknown.
The major point is that Unix / Linux systems improved and got more secure to where we are today. Windows? Well, shrug.

A major, major difference between Unix like systems and Windows is that *nix systems differentiate between executables and data.
Anything that gets moved or downloaded is by definition data on a *nix system. Data can not run. Only executables can run.
For a virus to infect a *nix system would require a user to download a file, change the ownership to 'root' (if and only if they have permission to change ownership) and then set the executable bit and run it as 'root'..
A *nix user can make a file executable only for their login account. Wipe your account if you must but it will not harm 'root'.
User space and kernel space (root) are very, very separate.
Now lets look at Windows. Gee, it's nice and convenient to download something and have it just run. Cool and why Windows get infected. The dumb bunnies don't know the difference between data and excutables and we want to make the user experience 'easy' who cares about security.
Plus, to make life even easier for Windows users lets put lots of user space hooks into the kernel of the O.S. Oh, goodie, a user can infect the kernel and thus bring down the system. But aint life easy!
Why do you think Firefox is more secure that I.E.? Because I.E. has hooks into the kernel and Firefox is just a user space app.

Sure popular has a little,very little, to do with infection rates. Pick on the easy target!
Most malware get created for profit. Well, the New York Stock Exchange runs on Linux. Banks and Wall Street mostly run on Unix and Linux. Don't you think with profit as a motive it would be better to crack these systems rather than you the home user?
Don't talk about Windows being the target because it's more popular than Unix. No, it's because crackers take what they can get.

stooxie
01-09-2011, 05:00
Okay, Macs may be invulnerable to viruses, but they sure can pick up Malware!

Sophos found 10 'threats' in roughly 3 different flavors on my MacBook:
Troj/JavaDl-P / L / M /
Troj/Agent-NBP
Mal/JavaKC-G

And, to make it all more wonderful - Must perform a *manual* removal of the 'threat'... No auto clean for these items. WTH?

Guess it's good I don't do Internet Banking off this little beast!

But you are right - No Viruses

Then again this thread wasn't about viruses originally...

Perhaps others will try a scan or two now.

HTH

Of course, Malware can affect anything but it's apples and oranges to me. Saying that a Mac is invulnerable to Malware is like saying there are no stupid people left int he world. We all know the answer to that.

If you download something suspicious and run it all bets are off for ANY operating system. Even then, like Linix3 says, the amount of possible damage differs from OS to OS.

-Stooxie