870 detent ball? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 detent ball?

XDfense
12-30-2010, 13:22
Hello all,
I'm considering purchasing this 18-1/2" barrel for my 870 express. My 870 gets absolutely no use now and I'm thinking of making it a tacticool HD weapon.

Remington 870 HD barrel 18.5"Cyl Bore 12ga : Barrels at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208991655)

When reading the description, it mentions a detent ball. What exactly is this and what is its purpose?

My end goal is to get an 18" barrel, Spec Ops Knoxx pistol grip stock, magazine tube extension, and side shell holder. Will this barrel pose a problem with the tube extension?

Thanks in advance.

glockfan9
12-30-2010, 13:59
looks fine to me.. I have the 870 express with the mag tube extension from remington and its fine.

aippi
12-30-2010, 15:31
Well, you could have asked the gun broker seller the question as I know him and he is a very bright guy, he is handsome and a true prince of the Realm a real ladies man as they simply love him to death........ The detent ball is used to retain the magazine cap on police and wingmaster models and retain the magazine coupling on the tube extensions on all models. If you are putting this barrel on a 4+1 shot Express it is just not and issue as the magazine cap will simply push the ball down into the barrel ring out of the way. You will need this barrel for later when you go to install the tube extension kit.

XDfense
12-31-2010, 08:29
Well, you could have asked the gun broker seller the question as I know him and he is a very bright guy, he is handsome and a true prince of the Realm a real ladies man as they simply love him to death........ The detent ball is used to retain the magazine cap on police and wingmaster models and retain the magazine coupling on the tube extensions on all models. If you are putting this barrel on a 4+1 shot Express it is just not and issue as the magazine cap will simply push the ball down into the barrel ring out of the way. You will need this barrel for later when you go to install the tube extension kit.

LOL. I would have but I couldn't remember my username and password and was too lazy to look it up.

I read in the description that you have the LE magazine tube extensions that you would throw in w/o increasing shipping. Can you shoot me a PM with how much those are? Thanks...I got a chuckle out of your response this morning.

sciolist
03-25-2011, 13:34
Is the detent ball really necessary? I think I understand how it is intended to function, but not sure it really works in practice.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Was cleaning my HD last night, and the ball (really a post) dropped out. I removed the spring and reassembled the gun with the extension firm finger-tight as normal. Seems like the barrel clamp is better able to resist the shock from discharging the gun than the detent. Guess I could put some blue locktite on the extension, but really seems unnecessary.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If anything, an aftermarket clamp with greater surface area and bolt more conducive to repeated removal seems like a better approach. JD?<o:p></o:p>

aippi
03-25-2011, 13:43
That little ball has been holding hundreds of thousands of mag caps and mag tube couplings in place for many years so it works pretty good.

You can sure keep yours on the way you say. I have. I put an 870 fully rifled barrel on one of my weapons to loan a friend to hunt with. The barrel was in place all season and that tiny little drop of blue loc tite did the trick. Or the wave washers works also.

sciolist
03-25-2011, 13:50
You just use an off-the-shelf wave washer over the male end of the tube?

Thanks, JD.