So we're taking the plunge and moving... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So we're taking the plunge and moving...

reptiman
12-30-2010, 13:52
The wife and I (along with our 4 yr old son) decided that we are going to leave Oregon and get a fresh start and new life in GA. We have been there before on our honeymoon and I was stationed at Ft Benning and Ft Stewart so I am familiar with some areas.

We will be leaving OR around the end of Feb to give us enough time to tie up any loose ends, get our stuff togther, etc.

Anyway, we are completely open to anywhere to live (except metro ATL) and I guess Im just looking for recommendations, advice, areas to avoid, any job leads...

Hope to see you guys soon :)

2@low8
12-30-2010, 13:58
I live and work near Athens, GA. We have the University of GA as the major employer. Land and homes in Oconee Co, Ga, just south of Athens are selling cheap right now due to hard times for builders and banks. Even cheaper is Barrow County (Winder). It is between Athens and Atlanta but it has fallen on hard times due to construction failures.

North Georgia Mountains, (Clayton, Cleveland, Blairsville) are nice areas but work will be hard to find.

South Georiga has gnats and gators so avoid anything south of I-16.

Hunting and shooting facilities abound here in GA and we have a fair selection of local gun shops as well.

SCC
01-04-2011, 17:05
kennesaw is a nice place to live

Mrs. Algaroth
01-04-2011, 22:38
kennesaw is a nice place to live

I can second this - my family and I have been living in Kennesaw for 11 years and this area is really nice. Acworth, too. Violent crime rates are REALLY low. There's also a decent number of shops around here and even a few ranges. By the way, there's this neat law in Kennesaw where it's illegal NOT to own a gun.

Stay away from Dekalb/Gwinnett counties, and especially stay out of the perimeter. I love the area roughly 30min+ NW of Atlanta (northern cobb county, cherokee county). I feel safe here.

I feel personally the Northeast and East side of metro atlanta have a pretty high crime rate...at least from the patterns I see in the news. My husband grew up and lived in Snellville for 27 years and he can attest to that place (and anywhere else in Gwinnett, really) being shady.

Roadkill_751
01-05-2011, 19:16
Pickens or Forsyth County.....:thumbsup:

FillYerHands
01-06-2011, 10:38
Kennesaw or Acworth are worth looking at, except they are technically Metro Atlanta.

I grew up in Cobb County then moved away after college. When we moved back after 17 years, I took a long look at where we wanted to live. Between job opportunities, schools, taxes, and crime rates, we settled in west Cobb.

You need to decide how important the schools are to you. If you can afford private school then the issue is to live near the one you like best. We are very involved in our kids' lives, and that gives us an advantage in the government schools, but we went with high test scores any way, since to me that's also an indicator of teacher and administrator commitment.

For me, the other areas to look at would be north of us along I-75, Cartersville, or Dalton. But don't overlook Augusta or Savannah either.

Send me a PM and I can give some more advice for where to get some guidance.

XDfense
01-06-2011, 11:12
I currently live in North Gwinnett County near Buford and Suwanee. This side of the county is very nice as well as Forsyth and south Hall county. Housing is going to be fairly affordable any where you go because of the huge inventory on the market. The Buford school district has been very good from what I can see. There are parts of Gwinnett county I'd stay away from, but for the most part, it's nice.

ATL Peach Girl
01-08-2011, 03:23
Reptiman.........

here is a link I use often for houses in Georgia.......

www.AtlantaMLS.com

If you find a place, enter the address at: www.Zillow.com to see what the home sold for previous, and surrounding home values too.

AtlantaMLS.com is a multi-listing service and you can search for the type of home you want, county, etc........

The guys here have mentioned that Forsyth county is good, it is, up I-575 there are some nice houses, and you get more house the further out you are. Woostock is a nice town, as is Kennesaw as someone mentioned. Canton is a nice town too.

There are many foreclosures in the south part of the city, in places like Fayetteville. I know some folks at my work who have gotten 10 acres in Fayette County with a house on foreclosure for cheap.......

Avoid SW Atlanta......lots of crime there. Avoid the Jonesboro area.....that's down the airport, and rough....rough. Also up in Gwinnett County, in the town of Doraville in NE Atlanta, it is gang ridden and lots of crime.

Taxes are sky high in the counties of Fulton (that's Atlanta), Dekalb (pronounced Dee-Cab---not Dee-Kalb) county is sky high taxes. I think Gwinnett County has higher taxes. Cobb County has pretty low taxes.....

Another place to look, and it is a booming area is the town of Hiram up in Paulding Couty, it is NW of the city. That place has taken off, lots of new brand name stores. I think taxes are tolerable.

Get a map to see where I am talking about with all these cities and counties. Hope this helps.

cptslick
01-08-2011, 07:49
I live in the Augusta area. There may be something here you are interested in. Here are a few links and judge for yourself. Good Luck.:wavey:
http://www.augustaga.gov/
http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/GA/City/AUGUSTA/
http://www.homefinder.com/GA/Augusta/
http://www.homesandland.com/Real_Estate/GA/City/Augusta/Page.html

cpelliott
01-13-2011, 12:36
What type of work do you do? It's obviously best to live where you can find plenty of work in your trade. Since private school costs several hundred thousand dollars from K-12, finding a good public school district is also important. Once you know the area of Georgia that you are interested in, go to http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ to research test scores. Check out georgiapacking.org for info on our firearms laws.