First shotgun, school me. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First shotgun, school me.

spartan985
12-30-2010, 18:55
I have no shotguns and want/need one.

Dunhams has this 870 for $349.99
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

It really close to that except no rail and it has the stock/pistol grip combo.

My question is how much will I lose by having the 18 1/2 inch barrel? I know it will be better if I have to use it in the house, but will it still be ok for shooting clays for fun with my buddy? Will I need to change anything to shoot slugs or rifled slugs?

Also is $349 a decent price?

Jon_R
12-30-2010, 19:04
You are not loosing much on a shotgun barrel once you get past 14". Generally all you give up by going shorter is less capacity in the magazine tube. If it goes as far as the barrel the shorter the barrel the shorter the tube the less rounds in it.

The one on the link would be ok for casual clay shooting with friends. The one on the link will take a choke which can help with clays farther away vs. no choke shooting cylinder bore but that is not a deal breaker. I shoot clays with HD shotguns cylinder bore every now and then it is still fun.

I think the price is pretty good it depends on which model / package.

ETA Slugs will be fine. Rifled Slugs. You don't need Sabot Slugs.

Veedubklown
12-30-2010, 19:33
I find it difficult to shoot clays with my mossberg 500 with the 18" smooth bore barrel. Too much spread, at least that rem can take a choke. Also with ghost ring sights, the ghost ring tends to block out the clay in the sky when I go to lead it.

spartan985
12-30-2010, 19:41
I find it difficult to shoot clays with my mossberg 500 with the 18" smooth bore barrel. Too much spread, at least that rem can take a choke. Also with ghost ring sights, the ghost ring tends to block out the clay in the sky when I go to lead it.

The one i was looking at has no rail/ghost rings.

Aceman
12-30-2010, 19:54
870/500 doesn't really matter. But it sounds like you want a combo with an 18" and a 26/28 barrel.

Ferdinandd
12-30-2010, 19:59
I have the shotgun shown in the link. I took out the useless breacher (that they advise not using as a breacher) and use Rem-chokes. Works great for me. I'm reloading and tuning my own buckshot loads and having the option of changing chokes in addition to the many load components helps a lot in optimizing patterns at specific distances.

If you're not into the shotgun science as much as I am the 870 Tactical is still a good pick. Use the breacher thingy for HD use and buy a full or modified Rem-choke to install for shooting clays. I'll add that IMHO, shooting clays is a great practice for any shotgunning.