EMP CCW Set-Up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EMP CCW Set-Up

Sporwick
12-31-2010, 07:14
Those with EMP's, can you show me your carry set-up? I am picking this up this afternoon and it will eventually be a carried gun. I have been wanting one for a very very long time.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k77/Sporwick/IMAG0224.jpg
Picture from the seller ad and not my photo

Hokie1911
12-31-2010, 08:56
If I was to get one, I like the way Quack has his set up...minus the flat trigger (would use a Harrison M solid trigger instead.)

Davidson HLs
10-8 rear
EB single-sided safety
Flat baseplates
...aside from that, maybe a trip to SACS for some FS checkering and IonBond.

John Harrison does some AMAZING work on EMPs. I've seen a few that he's done and they are simply fabulous.

www.harrisoncustom.com

polizei1
12-31-2010, 08:57
I have a stock EMP 9 with a Milt Sparks VMII, and a Beltman belt coming. Also have 2 Logman modified mags. I still need a mag holder though...

Edit* Yea me and Hokie had a discussion a while back, but sending my EMP to John would cost me ~$1k...and I just can't swing that. Being my only 1911, I would probably rather save that for a TRP. But, I also have an outdated Harley that needs some upgrades too come spring time.

knedrgr
12-31-2010, 09:19
Quack's set up for his EMP9.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1009301811_fyEgU-XL.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1009303692_JWpWE-XL.jpg

Hokie1911
12-31-2010, 09:29
Quack's set up for his EMP9.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1009301811_fyEgU-XL.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1009303692_JWpWE-XL.jpg

That is damn near perfect.

Quack
12-31-2010, 10:22
mine... :rofl:

Wade-19
12-31-2010, 10:34
That is damn near perfect.

Yep, if I had an EMP I would want it set up just like that except I would have Chuck golf ball the front strap .

Sporwick
12-31-2010, 11:17
Sexy...very excited to get mine this afternoon. I carry my glocks in an MTAC but was thinking of either a VMII or a leather lined Tucker Answer. I like that trigger Quak and I definitely want to get rid of the ambi-thumb safety.

Quack
12-31-2010, 11:21
thanks!!!

what you're buying id pretty much ready to go, just add a holster. I use Ed Brown thumb safeties, because they are slim and reduce the over all width compared to the ambi. with the ambi, the width (at the widest part) is about the same as a Glock.

BuckyP
12-31-2010, 11:22
thanks!!!

what you're buying id pretty much ready to go, just add a holster. I use Ed Brown thumb safeties, because they are slim and reduce the over all width compared to the ambi. with the ambi, the width (at the widest part) is about the same as a Glock.

Does the EMP use the same safety as a "regular" 1911?

Quack
12-31-2010, 11:24
Does the EMP use the same safety as a "regular" 1911?

yes, everything from a 1911 fits, except the 15 "re-engineered" parts:
slide
frame
left grip panel
right grip panel
firing pin
firing pin spring
extractor
plunger tube
plunger spring
trigger
magazine tube
magazine follower
magazine spring
magazine base plate
magazine base pad

The EMP's grip frame (L) is about 1/4 inch smaller in diameter than the .45 ACP Micro 1911.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/STspemp_010807E.jpg

Chieftain
01-01-2011, 13:35
I have had my EMP for about 3 years, and bought my youngest daughter one about a year ago. She shoots a Colt Combat Elite for grins and giggles, and I wanted a CCW piece that would be the same operating system as her primary.

My daughter has tried my Glock 26, HK P2000sk, M&P compact, XD compact, Ruger SR9c, 'J' frame, and states they are all to "chunky" compared to her EMP. She stands 4'11" @ 23 .

I find the EMP to be the ideal compact Pistol.

Good luck.

Fred

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 20:02
EMP similarly set up to Don's except:
I would add FSC, bevel and flush cut SS, and change out the LD's. I like the feel of the VZ Aliens better, but might check into getting a custom set of gunners from Simonich. I would also go for a kydex IWB holster instead of leather. Either Shielded or CBST

Quack
01-01-2011, 20:04
EMP similarly set up to Don's except:
I would add FSC, bevel and flush cut SS, and change out the LD's. I like the feel of the VZ Aliens better, but might check into getting a custom set of gunners from Simonich. I would also go for a kydex IWB holster instead of leather. Either Shielded or CBST

i got that, just need to get around to finish it. and haven't sent mine in for checkering yet.

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 20:06
i got that and just haven't sent mine in for checkering.

Woops flush cut/bevel

Im used to putting orders in with WC and its just standard. You did yours yourself though, it looks good and i commend you on the effort.

Quack
01-01-2011, 20:08
Thanks!!!
it's not all the way down yet, still haven't decided if i want to have it flat like i did on knedrgr's mil-spec, or round it off. that's why there's a small amount left.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_1544.jpg

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 20:13
I do like it flat like that

Quack
01-01-2011, 20:15
yep...

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/springfield.gif

BuckyP
01-01-2011, 20:39
I have had my EMP for about 3 years
...snip...
My daughter has tried my Glock 26, HK P2000sk
...snip...
I find the EMP to be the ideal compact Pistol.

Fred

Fred,

How would you compare the EMP to the P2000SK size wise?

Thanks.

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 20:44
Fred,

How would you compare the EMP to the P2000SK size wise?

Thanks.

The EMP will be a little taller with the standard mag, but it is thinner than the SK. I carried mine around the house the other day and while i didnt see a big difference, i definitely already like it as much as my SK. After I shoot it, I know i will like it more cause the SK's trigger SUCKS A BIG ONE!! I sent mine out to get "smoothed up" too and it is better now but nowhere near nice

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 20:44
yep...

Very nice! Who's is that

BuckyP
01-01-2011, 20:48
The EMP will be a little taller with the standard mag, but it is thinner than the SK. I carried mine around the house the other day and while i didnt see a big difference, i definitely already like it as much as my SK. After I shoot it, I know i will like it more cause the SK's trigger SUCKS A BIG ONE!! I sent mine out to get "smoothed up" too and it is better now but nowhere near nice

Thanks for the info. Seems that flush mag mod (sorry, forget the name already :fred:) might help with the height.

Sorry to hear you don't like the your SK's trigger. Mine is smooth as silk with no mods. It is a well used LEM.

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 20:56
Thanks for the info. Seems that flush mag mod (sorry, forget the name already :fred:) might help with the height.

Sorry to hear you don't like the your SK's trigger. Mine is smooth as silk with no mods. It is a well used LEM.

Ya mine is DA/SA. I had a few LEM's and just didnt care for a 2 stage trigger so to speak. I've pretty much got away from HK's though. I got rid of my hk45, p30L, 45c, usp40, usp9sd and I am left now only with my P7(which is currently my EDC) and SK. Hopefully if the emp works out im going to get rid of the sk as well and be left with the P7 which i will never get rid of. I got away from Sig's and HK's because I cannot operate them. On both platforms, the slide fails to lock back after the last round and i decided i did not want to alter my grip to shoot those 2 weapon platforms. Now I just stick with Glock and 1911's, I do want to try some single action CZ's though. They look like an awesome gun for the money. We jsut started carrying them at our shop and their growing on me

knedrgr
01-01-2011, 21:03

Logman is the guy that does the EMP mag modification.

Quack
01-01-2011, 21:13
yep...

Springfield Custom Shop

it's like the one that i almost bought from Pro Armament

Sporwick
01-01-2011, 22:40
I am getting ready to shoot my EMP for the first time tomorrow. I am very excited and hope I wont be disappointed. I like to leather but I may go with a leather lined Tucker Answer for my EMP. I am used to a MTAC holster and like the mixed leather kydex. I would get an MTAC but I dont want to scratch up with finish with just the straight kydex.

Quack
01-01-2011, 22:43
check your extractor tension before you go to the range.
if the tension is correct, you shouldn't have any problems.

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 22:48
The Kydex wont put anymore wear on the gun then the leather will. I am contemplating a Tucker holster as well, but mainly because we are dealer's with them and I could get one of their products( which are awesome) significantly cheaper than I could get a CBST or MTAC, which are both awesome holsters as well. Dont let people fool you with comments that kydex creates more wear then leather. You might see some initially, but over the long haul the kydex will wear less. I personally could care less about holster wear. 1. It signifies sort of a "badge of honor" and 2. I refinish weapons so if something gets too bad, I'll just spray it.
If you have doubts, I can post pictures of my EDC for the past 7 months, HK P7, there might be one little mark in 7 months of carrying on the top of the slide. It has been carried in a Shielded, which is a CBST style holster from a forum member who started his own holster company.

PS.. I stand corrected, there is a very small wear mark on the front sight as well :)

Sporwick
01-01-2011, 22:56
rsxr...thanks for the info about the kydex. It makes sense. I use the MTAC for my glocks so it is known to me and is definitely cheaper and quicker than a Tucker. I will take it under advisement. Thanks again.

Quack
01-01-2011, 23:04
Leather (if not properly cared for) could cause more wear on your finish if it traps fine particles in it.

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 23:06
Leather (if not properly cared for) could cause more wear on your finish if it traps fine particles in it.

Also, holstering and unholstering causes the grains of leather to go one way or another, thus creating wear. A lot of the new finishes are so strong though, most people will not own a gun long enough to see the wear.

Sporwick
01-03-2011, 11:57
Shot the EMP yesterday. I got 7 magazines with my deal and 2 have been modified for flush fit. Both flush fit magazines were fine, however, the other regular mags had problems. I had failure to feed, failure to extract, etc... on all 5 of them. I did notice that the modified ones had a much looser spring than the non-modified ones.

Quack
01-03-2011, 11:58
the springs in teh new mags are most likely .40 springs. they'll just take some time to soften up. i don't recall if log man makes any adjustments to the springs, but he is the one that noted the .40 springs in 9mm mags.

Sporwick
01-03-2011, 11:59
the springs in teh new mags are most likely .40 springs. they'll just take some time to soften up. i don't recall if log man makes any adjustments to the springs, but he is the one that noted the .40 springs in 9mm mags.

Maybe loading them up and letting them sit loaded will help a little?

Quack
01-03-2011, 12:01
yep, but they will soften up with use.

Sporwick
01-03-2011, 12:03
yep, but they will soften up with use.

Thanks Quak. Good thing I work at a range on the weekends and can get easy shooting time.