$1,000 (+/- $100) to Spend on ACOG - Which to Choose? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : $1,000 (+/- $100) to Spend on ACOG - Which to Choose?

MikeinCincy
12-31-2010, 11:45
Bought my first AR the other day...a Colt LE6940. The shop I orderd it through will have it sometime next week for me to pick up. In the mean time, I am trying to figure out what optics to purchase. My budget is roughly $1,000 give or take $100 or so and I want a Trijicon ACOG. Sooo, what would you guys choose? I am relatively new (obviously) to AR's and even more so to optics. So, any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

The Trijicon ACOG 3x30 TA33 looks good. But, I am not sure if spending maybe $100 more might be a better deal? Also, what is preferred in terms of amber/red/chevron reticle or dual illuminated red horseshoe/dot? Sorry for being such a noob. Your guys' help will go a long way.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

AK_Stick
12-31-2010, 12:29
Having used both a bunch of ACOG's I can safely say there are only two I would buy.

Firstly, in your price range, is the TA-31H. Larue sells it in your price range, with their excellent mount for 1,163. This would be my second choice, it has dual illumination, and the horse shoe reticle I like, as well as the additional ranging stradia for distance estimation.

If you could cough up an extra 200, or wait another month or so, the Marine RCO M-4 is IMO the best of the bunch, with the ranging stradia, dual illumination, and the chevron reticle that is great for targets out to 300m without thought.

As for a mount I would run either the GG&G accucam, or the Larue mounts.

If I could, I would be running one of those two here. Alas, I'm restricted to a red dot.

boomhower
12-31-2010, 12:35
I vote none. Learn to shoot proficiently with irons first. In the meantime save a bit more and have your pick of the litter.

AK_Stick
12-31-2010, 14:19
as long as you understand the irons, and can shoot with them if need be, I'd skip doing any real shooting with them. Just go straight to the optics.

MikeinCincy
12-31-2010, 14:37
Thanks for the help guys. I will certainly train with the irons before I use the optics, but, I still want to buy one. So, I will probably purchase the TA-31H like AK-Stick recommends. It is within my price range, available on Optics Planet, and it comes with a flat-top mount, which I am assuming is what I will need to mount on my LE6940.

AK_Stick
12-31-2010, 14:56
I would order it from larue tactical long before I went through OP..

I've head some true horror stories about dealing with them. Not to mention, the trijicon flat top mount sucks. Very easy to knock loose, and is not a return to zero. For 1163, you can have a solid optic, mount, and return to zero ability, should you take it off your rifle for whatever.

glock22357
12-31-2010, 15:13
Thanks for the help guys. I will certainly train with the irons before I use the optics, but, I still want to buy one. So, I will probably purchase the TA-31H like AK-Stick recommends. It is within my price range, available on Optics Planet, and it comes with a flat-top mount, which I am assuming is what I will need to mount on my LE6940.

I would suggest that you check out all of the different models and different reticles. While AK likes the horse-shoe reticle, you may find you want something different. The TA31CH has an illuminated cross-hair and bullet-drop compensating reticle, and that's what I would suggest. You also need to educate yourself on the BAC, or Bindon Aiming Concept, although if your purchase a BAC ACOG, it doesn't mean you have to use the BAC.

Be sure you know what you are buying, and all of the different models offered, before you purchase.

FatBoy
12-31-2010, 15:42
I have two ACOGs. I have a TA11D (red triangle) and a TA33-9 (amber chevron). I like the red triangle better. I bought the 33 w/o seeing one. My eyes see the red better, YMMV. I really like the idea of the "horseshoe", but I haven't seen one in person. My advice is to look at them before you buy to see which color your eyes see better.

FB

MikeinCincy
12-31-2010, 16:20
I would order it from larue tactical long before I went through OP..

I've head some true horror stories about dealing with them. Not to mention, the trijicon flat top mount sucks. Very easy to knock loose, and is not a return to zero. For 1163, you can have a solid optic, mount, and return to zero ability, should you take it off your rifle for whatever.

Pardon my ignorance, but, what do you mean when you say "return to zero"? :dunno:

NeverMore1701
12-31-2010, 16:33
Pardon my ignorance, but, what do you mean when you say "return to zero"? :dunno:

Means that if you take it off the gun, when you put it back on you won't have to re-zero it.

MikeinCincy
12-31-2010, 16:38
Means that if you take it off the gun, when you put it back on you won't have to re-zero it.

Ahh, gotcha. Makes sense. I have noticed as well that Larue sells the TA31H cheaper than Optics Planet (even with the Larue mount). Kinda sounds like a no brainer than to me to purchase it from Larue, eh? I have just never dealt with this Larue company and have always had good experiences with Optics Planet.

NeverMore1701
12-31-2010, 16:49
Ahh, gotcha. Makes sense. I have noticed as well that Larue sells the TA31H cheaper than Optics Planet (even with the Larue mount). Kinda sounds like a no brainer than to me to purchase it from Larue, eh? I have just never dealt with this Larue company and have always had good experiences with Optics Planet.

Can't possibly go wrong with LaRue.

MikeinCincy
12-31-2010, 16:56
Can't possibly go wrong with LaRue.

Awesome. Sounds like that's the route I'll take. Thanks for the help guys! :wavey:

MikeinCincy
12-31-2010, 16:59
Wait, one last thing. When I go to add the scope to my basket on Larue's website, it asks you to select either:

"LEVER MOUNT"
or
"VFZ MOUNT"

Not too sure what to select here for my Colt LE6940 (monolithic rail, if that makes a difference). I hate being so helpless, but, I am seriously new to this.

NeverMore1701
12-31-2010, 17:02
Wait, one last thing. When I go to add the scope to my basket on Larue's website, it asks you to select either:

"LEVER MOUNT"
or
"VFZ MOUNT"

Not too sure what to select here for my Colt LE6940 (monolithic rail, if that makes a difference). I hate being so helpless, but, I am seriously new to this.

Lever. The VFZ is ok, but not in the same class IMO. Just a different way of securing the mount to the rail.

MikeinCincy
12-31-2010, 17:04
Lever. The VFZ is ok, but not in the same class IMO. Just a different way of securing the mount to the rail.

Perfect. Thanks a ton! Happy New Years! :cool:

Broncovan
12-31-2010, 22:14
I would suggest that you check out all of the different models and different reticles. While AK likes the horse-shoe reticle, you may find you want something different. The TA31CH has an illuminated cross-hair and bullet-drop compensating reticle, and that's what I would suggest. You also need to educate yourself on the BAC, or Bindon Aiming Concept, although if your purchase a BAC ACOG, it doesn't mean you have to use the BAC.

Be sure you know what you are buying, and all of the different models offered, before you purchase.

This!

I much prefer my TA31F to my buddies TA31 w/doughnut reticle. Since you have the opportunity to get any reticle you want, look at all of them and get the one you like the most.

I like the Chevron for a couple reasons.

The tip makes a good zero point for 100 yards.

The bottom of the chevron is equal to 19" @ 300 yards.. 19" is the average width of a male torso so it aids in ranging targets if you know what width various items are.

The only thing I don't care much for is the short eye relief. I've gotten bumped a couple times, but not hard enough to do any damage. It does remind you to maintain good basic shooting techniques though!

Oh, and get the LaRue mount! They offer the QD lever model as well as a new less expensive VZF mount if you don't require a quick removal option. I have the lever model on mine, mostly because I'm lazy and if I want it off, it only takes seconds and the return to zero is amazing.

I love my ACOG and wouldn't have any other sight on my 18" middy, period.

lawman800
12-31-2010, 23:26
The red reticle really "pops" in daylight. It was amazing how awesome it was. Get the triple illumination reticle with tritium, fiber optic, and battery backup.

MrMurphy
01-01-2011, 01:07
The only reason the VFZ was developed is there are some people who just do NOT want the lever option, and it costs a little bit less.

Get the lever.

Call in, and ask for Tyler or Alfred. Both have used ACOGs on the 2-way range as far as I can remember.

Deployment Solu
01-01-2011, 06:37
TA01B. My intermediate range .308 ACOG. I do need the better mount though!!!

MikeinCincy
01-01-2011, 08:49
Thanks for the help everybody! I went ahead and ordered the TA31H with the Lever mount last night from LaRue. Not sure how long it will take to get to my front porch, but, I won't have my rifle until next week, so, it really doesn't matter. I am more than grateful for your guys' help and I can't wait to get my new toys next week!

Eurodriver
01-01-2011, 09:16
Good good good choice. Larue is top quality. Its not as well known outside black rifle circles, your average deer hunter may have no idea who they are, but their mounts are the best of the best. As a matter of fact, many hardcore AR enthusiasts feel that if you mount any optic on the AR platform without a Larue mount you are wasting your time.

NeverMore1701
01-01-2011, 09:44
Good good good choice. Larue is top quality. Its not as well known outside black rifle circles, your average deer hunter may have no idea who they are, but their mounts are the best of the best. As a matter of fact, many hardcore AR enthusiasts feel that if you mount any optic on the AR platform without a Larue mount you are wasting your time.

They would obviously be wrong, but LaRue is top notch.

Eurodriver
01-01-2011, 15:06
They would obviously be wrong, but LaRue is top notch.

Sorry, I was just speaking from personal experience in Iraq and Afghanistan.

VPD4327
04-04-2011, 20:59
I just bought a TA-31G (horseshoe) and a CAN'T WAIT till it gets here!!

Eurodriver
04-05-2011, 10:44
If you could cough up an extra 200, or wait another month or so, the Marine RCO M-4 is IMO the best of the bunch, with the ranging stradia, dual illumination, and the chevron reticle that is great for targets out to 300m without thought.

As for a mount I would run either the GG&G accucam, or the Larue mounts.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4166/1002098w.jpg

I picked up another RCO M4 just a few days ago. Now I have 2 ARs with RCOM4s, and one with an RCO A4. Now that I have the actual optics I'm going to be buying the mounts AK Stick described. Its the perfect platform unless you're room clearing. (I'm not)

I love the RCO M4. Many don't because of the short eye relief but the Trijicon optics with better eye relief weigh a ton and are huge. The RCOs are the perfect size, weight, magnification, illumination, I mean they just don't get any better. Put red on target and engage for anything out to 300m.

txleapd
04-05-2011, 18:11
Sorry, I was just speaking from personal experience in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A there many "hardcore AR enthusiasts" in Iraq and Afghanistan? I've always felt that people who carry a gun for a living are slightly different from enthusiasts... But that's just me.

On a side note... LaRue actually made hunting scope mounts before ever getting into the 'red dot' optics mount business.