Anything To Be Said for a Side-By-Side? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anything To Be Said for a Side-By-Side?

50 Cent
12-31-2010, 21:42
Had an old Higgins that I sold to my uncle some time ago, have been without a shotgun for some time.

Was thinking of getting a classic double to get back into it. Any serious pros/cons (except price) over a pump?

Victoriagotagun
12-31-2010, 21:57
Are you thinking about using it for home defense, hunting, sporting clays, etc?

MrMurphy
01-01-2011, 00:13
If it's what's at hand, it can get the job done.

But i'd take a pump any day otherwise. Continuity of fire.

B Coyote
01-01-2011, 02:10
A well-trained, motivated shooter with a side by side is a far better fighter than a keyboard commando with a tacticool pimp-pump.

That said, why limit yourself?

bc

collim1
01-01-2011, 06:31
A SxS has a couple of advantages. They are shorter than a comparable pump or semi-auto of the same barrel length, and they have very quick follow up shots.

I would not hesitate to use one for HD, especially if it was backed up by a good handgun.

longbowshooter
01-01-2011, 09:51
Stoeger Uplanders are about the same price as pumps and can be used for hunting. People been using them for a long time for home defense. Clint Smith has a youtube video showing a single or double can be used effectively for HD or truck gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

50 Cent
01-01-2011, 10:00
Even been looking at YILDIZ O/U shotguns at Academy. My primary uses would be trap, maybe hunting. Dunno if I'd consider it as a primary for home defense (I live in an apt) as I have a G19 and a 686+ within reach. Also have a WASR stashed easily within reach for the times when I might find a Zombie rummaging thru my fridge :supergrin:

The Yildiz class have a pretty long bbl at 28" - a bit much for HD but likely good in the trap/hunting scenarios. I guess an advantage the SS's have is shorter bbl length.

longbowshooter
01-01-2011, 10:31
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_condor_competition_and_combo.php
Condor Competition - Sweet wood on it.
$629 MSRP

Aceman
01-01-2011, 12:32
Ungodly reliability. Only two shots. Tradeoffs with everything...

bug
01-01-2011, 14:41
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_gun_supreme.php

Look at the one with the nic/blue finish Nice!

50 Cent
01-01-2011, 18:10
That Stoeger coach gun looks REAL sweet!! Imagine in blued it would look real good. Bbl length looks pretty versatile too.

Do they have a good rep?

bug
01-01-2011, 18:47
Buddy of mine has one, we have put a couple of thousand rounds through it.
never had any kind of problem with it.

Other than it has solid wood stock that offer little protection against 3in mag 00 buck!:wow:
He used His for home protection when he had no other options. he did not feel unarmed.

His is the base model but is well made and can take a beating.

seamaster
01-04-2011, 00:33
That Stoeger coach gun looks REAL sweet!! Imagine in blued it would look real good. Bbl length looks pretty versatile too.

Do they have a good rep?

I had a Stoeger coach gun and it's the only gun I truely regret selling. Mine was the blued steel coach gun with nice walnut stock and reversed double triggers. Reversed double triggers on the coach gun are faster than a single trigger or any semi auto.

I plan to buy another one when I can afford it. They are awesome!

cyrsequipment
01-04-2011, 09:04
Reversed double triggers on the coach gun are faster than a single trigger or any semi auto.

I'm not doubting you on that statement, but I have no idea how that is possible...

-gunut-
01-04-2011, 14:45
Ungodly reliability. Only two shots. Tradeoffs with everything...

They are also about 4" shorter for a given barrel length compared to pump.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-08-2011, 12:05
2 rounds vs however many in the tube...If you're using it for HD and have to use more than 2 12G shells you're doing it wrong. I don't think I'll have a band of thieves in my place or have to defend against an army of wrong doers...so yea...go for it if it's what you like.

backbore
01-08-2011, 13:16
I wouldn't hesitate to use a double barrel for HD. They're fast to reload, and when you chop down the barrel to the shortest legal length it's several inches shorter than a pump or auto with the same length barrel! VERY manageable in close quarters because of the length and the light weight.

Lt Scott 14
01-13-2011, 21:22
Have an Interarms 20ga SxS doing HD/ barn duty. It has the hammers and dual triggers. Short barrel(18.5in to legal length) full stock w/ nylon ammo cuff. Have shot slugs, buck, and birdshot without any problems out to 15-20 yds. Hits paperplate everytime w/ some if not all lead buckshot. Not bad for recoil, wife has shot it a couple times in case I was out working.
Have 12ga pump and a single shot H&R for backup. For nightstand, we have a M10/ 38 spec 4in bbl(tapered) and a G19 9mm. We feel that HD is covered. Both sons can fire the M10, my old service revolver.

s

MacG22
01-13-2011, 21:31
If you've ever done shotgun training you'll run into your limitations with a SxS very, very quickly. They are fun, but as a serious defensive gun I think the tradeoffs are far too steep.

Get a Rem 870, Moss 590, Or Benelli Nova, train with them, and you'll have a very good defensive gun that can handle a range of loadouts and for a very decent price.

Booker
01-15-2011, 19:33
I believe that some of the special teams of the NYPD used SxS for many years and had excellent results with them.

I have a Russian made Remington SxS with changable choke tubes. I can configure the shotgun for a wide range of applications from hunting to home defense.

Not much out there can fire two rounds as quickly as a SxS!

Dual triggers allows the user to select which barrel to fire first allowing one to have two different loads chambered and ready to fire.

I've witnessed too many folks short stoke a pump and end up with a club!

MacG22
01-15-2011, 22:21
I believe that some of the special teams of the NYPD used SxS for many years and had excellent results with them.

I have a Russian made Remington SxS with changable choke tubes. I can configure the shotgun for a wide range of applications from hunting to home defense.

Not much out there can fire two rounds as quickly as a SxS!

Dual triggers allows the user to select which barrel to fire first allowing one to have two different loads chambered and ready to fire.

I've witnessed too many folks short stoke a pump and end up with a club!

Trying to compare a gun that has been improperly used (bad training) to one used as good as it can be is kind of a straw man.

If you consider the limitations of the SxS, even when used properly, it doesn't even come close to considering the limitations of the pump when used properly. You will get many more rounds on target over time with a pump than you will with a SxS, and further, you can do it while keeping your gun on target.

If you are short stroking your pump you need to train through it, not buy a SxS.

vafish
01-16-2011, 06:17

!

It was the NYPD Detectives that used SXS shotguns for years. Special teams used pumps or semi autos.

IF you are mostly using the gun for clay target shooting there is no downside to double barrel. I know of no clays game that requires you to fire more then 2 shots at a station. So reloading isn't an issue.

For hunting there may be some times when you wish for more shots, but most states game laws (and federal waterfowl laws) limit you to 3 shots total so you aren't giving up much.

For home defense I think the pump shotgun is much better, but the doubles will work just as well in the vast majority of situations. Anyone that doesn't think a SxS will work for home defense can be the first one through the door.

MAGICMANIA
01-16-2011, 06:33
A well-trained, motivated shooter with a side by side is a far better fighter than a keyboard commando with a tacticool pimp-pump.

That said, why limit yourself?

bc

:goodpost:

Danielrh123
01-19-2011, 20:25
Well is there anything more intimidating than looking at the business end of a double barrel shotgun i think not, but their not very good with follow up shots, not to bad with a stock shot shell holder though.

ChuteTheMall
01-19-2011, 21:02
You can't make that intimidating noise of racking the slide which creates fear in the hearts of evildoers.

Check out some cowboy action videos to see some fast SXS reloading and shooting. Some also use Winchester Model 97 pump guns, reloading and shooting one at a time against the clock.

My newest shotgun is a TTN/Cimarron like the top one below.
It's a modern replica of a 1878 Colt shotgun, and yes, you can leave it safely loaded indefinitely without cocking any springs, unlike the non-hammered SXS's such as Stoegars. It has no safety, doesn't need one.

It's not one of my primary home defense choices, but I enjoy it.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5189/cimarronsxs.jpg (http://img715.imageshack.us/i/cimarronsxs.jpg/)

The rabbit ears add plenty of style points.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3766/56682d37adff324214a6e40.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/56682d37adff324214a6e40.jpg/)