Help needed with night sights on AR for coyote hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with night sights on AR for coyote hunting

kaptain
01-01-2011, 11:56
Hey,

I have a RRA Elite Comp AR-15 that currently has a clunky NC star red dot on it and I was looking to upgrade to a night sight that I can hunt coyotes with.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1096/5143710134_f41c96d9d9_z.jpg

(I know now that my safety plug is in backwards, it was the first day I had the gun) I currently added a magpul ms2 sling with the asap ring for either side shooting. I also have a few more magpul mags and tsm rail covers on the way.

I was also looking to switch out my NC star to an Aimpoint M4 or T1 but I don't really know the differences. I would like to get a night sight that can be used with my other optic, which I think the m4 and t1 both do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

B.Reid
01-01-2011, 12:13
:wow:

doby
01-01-2011, 13:10
I"ve only used the Tritium dot iron sights. They do ok to 100 yds or so, if you can get a light on the critter, that is. With snow on the ground, a full moon is enough for such shooting.

AK_Stick
01-01-2011, 13:13
PVS-7 with laser, or 14 with a rifle mounted laser, or behind a NVG compatable red dot.

MrMurphy
01-02-2011, 00:02
Agreed.

If night vision is not available, either a solar powered feeder light and any optic of your choice, or a large (not rifle mounted) spotlight with red lens and a magnified optic.

kaptain
01-02-2011, 08:55
Agreed.

If night vision is not available, either a solar powered feeder light and any optic of your choice, or a large (not rifle mounted) spotlight with red lens and a magnified optic.

Hmm that brings up a thought. Can dogs / coyotes see the red light if you have a big spotlight searching for them? If they can't then it would be a cheaper alternative to use rather than a night optic that costs quite a bit.

edit: did a little reading, seems red will be a good spotlight to use.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=210373

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/DrP4.htm

AK_Stick
01-02-2011, 10:57
Red lights work, but NV can see quite a bit further. Especially good versions.

2K at TNVC.com will get you a dedicated NVG scope. Between 1.5 and 3.5 you can get a entry level, to current state of the art NVG monocular. Which you can either wear, and use a laser on your rifle, or put behind a red dot.

Jumper
01-03-2011, 07:43
There is also the Laser Genetics NX3 and NX5 long range laser Illuminator's. They can be weapon mounted and probably used with any conventional sight. Supposedly they illuminate out to 500yds. I've never used one but I've tried putting together a system for night hunting.

kaptain
01-03-2011, 08:21
There is also the Laser Genetics NX3 and NX5 long range laser Illuminator's. They can be weapon mounted and probably used with any conventional sight. Supposedly they illuminate out to 500yds. I've never used one but I've tried putting together a system for night hunting.

Can you post a link to some info about them, I did a quick search and did not pull anything up.

kaptain
01-03-2011, 08:21
Red lights work, but NV can see quite a bit further. Especially good versions.

2K at TNVC.com will get you a dedicated NVG scope. Between 1.5 and 3.5 you can get a entry level, to current state of the art NVG monocular. Which you can either wear, and use a laser on your rifle, or put behind a red dot.

I think 1.5 - 3.5 grand is a bit too much for what I'm looking to spend.

MrMurphy
01-03-2011, 09:15
The Laser Genetics gets a lot of talk on hunting forums, but i've yet to speak to someone I actually knew who used it successfully.

Kaptain if NV is out of range, get an illuminated reticle magnified scope, and look into red-lens spotlights or solar powered feeder/area lights.

AK_Stick
01-03-2011, 09:45
I think 1.5 - 3.5 grand is a bit too much for what I'm looking to spend.

Ok, I understand. What are you looking to spend?

Also, how are you hunting? from a vehicle, on foot?

If I was looking to use a spotlight, I would go with something like this,

http://www.king-cart.com/apc/product=/product_name=Lightforce/keywords=/exact_match=/next=15/return_page=

Look at the Lance 140 rifle scope mount.

I use the hell out of lightforce lights on my truck and ATV's and I love them, bright, lite, and sturdy.

Couple that with a good quality scope, and you'll want quality, because better quality scopes will transmit more light at low light, and night, with a lit reticle.

kaptain
01-03-2011, 10:37
The Laser Genetics gets a lot of talk on hunting forums, but i've yet to speak to someone I actually knew who used it successfully.

Kaptain if NV is out of range, get an illuminated reticle magnified scope, and look into red-lens spotlights or solar powered feeder/area lights.

The red lens spotlights are probably going to be the way I will go.

Ok, I understand. What are you looking to spend?

As I would not be hunting coyotes a lot I would say my limit to spend would be around $500-$750 for the spotlight and scope (might be a bit low to get good enough quality stuff. I would like to get the Aimpoint T1 or M4 but I'm not sure if those are going to work with the night shooting I would also like to do. I also realize those Aimpoint optics are around $500-$750 already so my budget can be flexible.)

Also, how are you hunting? from a vehicle, on foot?

I would be on foot.

If I was looking to use a spotlight, I would go with something like this,

http://www.king-cart.com/apc/product=/product_name=Lightforce/keywords=/exact_match=/next=15/return_page=

Look at the Lance 140 rifle scope mount.

I use the hell out of lightforce lights on my truck and ATV's and I love them, bright, lite, and sturdy.

Couple that with a good quality scope, and you'll want quality, because better quality scopes will transmit more light at low light, and night, with a lit reticle.

Thanks for the information, I'll look into a bit more.

MrMurphy
01-03-2011, 10:46
I've night hunted a coyote with nothing but a handheld streamlight, a Marlin .44 with XS ghost rings. Successfully.

That said, an Aimpoint or Eotech (having used them as well) will have to be just about on the dimmest settings still visible. I'm an Aimpoint fan, currently using an Eotech, and i've hunted coyotes at night with a weaponlight and Eotech. We didn't get any that night (they were in the area, just not the right field) but a 1-4X illuminated would have worked better, with a second guy on a large red lens spotlight.

Having a spotter/lighter works FAR better.

kaptain
01-03-2011, 15:38
Hunting with a friend would be more fun anyways when it coyote hunting I would think. I don't really need an aimpoint or eotech if the main thing I shoot with the gun is varmits and target shooting.