HP PC, No Sound On Some Files [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HP PC, No Sound On Some Files

dickmartin
01-01-2011, 16:30
I bought a new Hewlett-Packard PC running Windows 7 about six months ago. For the first month or two, I could get the sound on YouTube and .wmv files. Now I can't; these files are silent. The speaker works; I have the "system sounds" (beeps, chirps etc.) and get the sound on some moving-picture files.

What I suspect is that a software program that came with the computer was a "trial version" that expired after a certain period of time and the vendor is waiting for me to pay for a renewal. I have no clue what that software, or who the vendor, might be.

Any useful suggestions as to how I can restore full sound, or acquire the necessary software, will be appreciated.

IndyGunFreak
01-01-2011, 16:45
I bought a new Hewlett-Packard PC running Windows 7 about six months ago. For the first month or two, I could get the sound on YouTube and .wmv files. Now I can't; these files are silent. The speaker works; I have the "system sounds" (beeps, chirps etc.) and get the sound on some moving-picture files.

What I suspect is that a software program that came with the computer was a "trial version" that expired after a certain period of time and the vendor is waiting for me to pay for a renewal. I have no clue what that software, or who the vendor, might be.

Any useful suggestions as to how I can restore full sound, or acquire the necessary software, will be appreciated.

So you get no sound on Youtube? Are you sure you've not accidentally muted YT videos?.... I could see some trial program not working w/ WMV's, etc.. in that case, I would download VLC and see if it works...

dickmartin
01-01-2011, 17:22
I downloaded VLC and then re-started the computer. Still no sound.

IndyGunFreak
01-01-2011, 17:29
I downloaded VLC and then re-started the computer. Still no sound.

and just to clarify... if you play other file formats, you get sound? What happens if you play say, an MP3.

dickmartin
01-01-2011, 18:05
Don't know about MP3. i just tried a buffaloschips.com file and it provides sound.

dickmartin
01-08-2011, 09:22
IndyGunFreak & others - How can I check and determine if I have accidentally muted YouTube videos, and if so, unmute them? I haven't a clue.

Thanks

IndyGunFreak
01-08-2011, 09:32
IndyGunFreak & others - How can I check and determine if I have accidentally muted YouTube videos, and if so, unmute them? I haven't a clue.

Thanks

Go to a Youtube video (any video).... move your mouse over the video, so you can see the timer at the bottom, and look at the volume applet to the left of that (looks like a speaker)... If it has a red X on it, it is muted. Left click it to unmute.