I want a SHTF, HD, do everything, plinker [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I want a SHTF, HD, do everything, plinker

rainman33
01-01-2011, 19:00
I know what I am looking for probably doesn't exist, so let me clarify. I want a good all around rifle. It must be capable in most situations, but obviously I hope all I ever do is plinking. I've narrowed it down to an AR15 Performance build in 6.8 SPC(18") , or a RRA LAR-8(16" or 20"). I know about ammo availability and prices. I looking for overall reviews and insight I may not have considered. Also, I'm 6'8" and 275lbs, so a bigger rifle, or recoil, doesn't bother me, and I'm looking for longer barrel lengths to make it more comfortable to shoot. Tell me your thoughts.

cowboy1964
01-01-2011, 19:16
I would never use a .308 for HD. A 6.8 SPC would be acceptable but there is nothing wrong with .223/5.56 with the right ammo. The one advantage of 6.8 is you could hunt deer. Since defense is my primary use I went with .223 but I would love to get a 6.8 upper at some point, esp when I start reloading.

rainman33
01-01-2011, 20:17
I would never use a .308 for HD. A 6.8 SPC would be acceptable but there is nothing wrong with .223/5.56 with the right ammo. The one advantage of 6.8 is you could hunt deer. Since defense is my primary use I went with .223 but I would love to get a 6.8 upper at some point, esp when I start reloading.

The LAR-8 for HD would be overkill (pun intended) for HD, and that's what the Mossberg is for - when things to bump in the night. I have access to my grandfather's bolt actions, but I want something of my own as an all around rifle. The .223/5.56 is a good round, but I do want a larger caliber to make it more adaptable to many situations. The LAR-8 looks like a lot of fun, but I can't find many recent reviews. Anyway, keep the comments coming.

Bushflyr
01-01-2011, 20:18
Go read THIS THREAD (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294551). Then get a Lightweight 14.5" BCM middy. In 5.56.

USMCSergeant
01-01-2011, 20:21
5.56 is perfect for all those applications.

NeverMore1701
01-01-2011, 20:24
5.56 is perfect for all those applications.

Yup. :cool:

doby
01-01-2011, 21:42
indoor ranges, training novices. The .22 unit is what makes the 223 AR so superior to all the other choices.

trlcavscout
01-01-2011, 22:42
Go read THIS THREAD (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294551). Then get a Lightweight 14.5" BCM middy. In 5.56.

Wish I had one!

RMTactical
01-02-2011, 00:05
Why not 5.56??

Bushflyr
01-02-2011, 00:07
Cuz it's weak. Real ninjas only shoot 6.7 Hypersteathxtreme.

At 33500 yards.

mjkeat
01-02-2011, 00:31
5.56 will sufice. Im a fan of 14.5" mid lengths. BCM, DD, or even Spikes would suite you. Just add a 13" rail. The 18 and 20" barrels wouldnt be ideal IMO for manuevering through a house. Im not up on the .308, sheet rock ballistics but I think you might end up repairing your neighbors interior walls.

I dont know your reach but Im guessing anywhere from the high 70s to low 80s. Id iimagine a 13"-14" rail would work.

AR15Performance makes good stuff.

MrMurphy
01-02-2011, 00:59
Get a 16" BCM or similar.

Guy in my unit was 6'8". You discover why collapsible stocks are a good thing.

lawman800
01-02-2011, 01:55
5.56 is way beyond proven for HD, SHTF, and especially plinking. You just have to do your part and pick the right ammo for each situation. While 62 grain M855 will do for just about all scenarios, you might also want the 77 grain for some applications or go to the boattail match ammo for some more long distance target practice.

T-Rod45
01-02-2011, 01:58
I just picked up an LWRC M6A2 in 5.56 for the above reasons... And I'm loving it...:cool:

faawrenchbndr
01-02-2011, 05:42
6.8 SPC is what I'm curently using.........I must be able to hunt with it. I found the .223/5.56 lacking.
I left the 5.56 behind, have the 6.8 for HD, use a dedicated 22LR upper for range plinking trigger time

Upstate Glocker
01-09-2011, 15:46
For what you want, unless you are set on an AR rifle design, consider a Marlin lever in .357 or .44Mag. They fit the bill just fine, esp the 44Mag which is probably better for hunting (the 5.56 is illegal for hunting deer in many states and is usually limited to hunting varmits/prarie dogs) up to 150 yards, is fun for plinking, and I can't imagine a better HD carbine than a 44Mag. The Marlin holds 10 rounds of thumping 240gr rounds.

MrMurphy
01-10-2011, 00:51
I have a Marlin .44. I wouldn't take a shot outside 100 yards.

And except on large animals, i'd rather have an AR (and do).

MCKNBRD
01-10-2011, 07:48
Sounds like you need a 16" in 5.56...and then get an upper in 6.5 (or Baer's new .264) with a 20" (ish) barrel. Might pick up a dedicated upper in .22LR for plinking/small game.

Yeah, its more expensive than just one AR, but you're wanting a wide range of capabilities.

Define the mission, then have the equipment match the mission requirements. You'll never see a B-52 in an air superiority role, and you'll never see an F-15 as a tanker...you've gotta work inside the box you're playing in.

Byrdman

trlcavscout
01-10-2011, 11:57

I just ordered one :)

Quigley
01-10-2011, 16:05
I have to agree on the whole 5.56/223 thing. Unless you plan on using it for deer hunting. The 5.56 is plenty for killing deer but it is just illegal to use .22 caliber rifles in many states. It is cheaper to shoot and ammo is plentiful than just about any other centerfire option. Sure 7.62x39 and 5.45 are cheaper if you get the cheap stuff but that is all imported ammo and there is no saying that importing ammo from Russia will be legal in 10years. I would rather stick with American made ammo calibers if I was only going to have just one. 5.56 will work fine for everything from plinking to HD/SHTF.

Note: Yes Winchester and a few other American brands make 7.62x39 but it is ridiculously expensive

Captains1911
01-10-2011, 19:39
With the ammo price and availability of the 6.8, unless you relaod, I would be very hesitant. Plus as others have said, there is nothing wrong with the 5.56 round, especially in the heavier weight bullets.

I would look at BCM, Colt, LMT and Spikes in a 5.56 mid-length version.

AlexHassin
01-10-2011, 19:51
I would say a nice lever action if your not married to an AR.

bluejackets92fs
01-10-2011, 19:55
You want an AR for Home Defense? Seems a little dangerous to me.

RMTactical
01-10-2011, 20:13
You want an AR for Home Defense? Seems a little dangerous to me.

If you're a criminal, yes... You aren't planning on breaking into his home are you? :supergrin:

mjkeat
01-10-2011, 20:14
If you're a criminal, yes... You aren't planning on breaking into his home are you? :supergrin:

:rofl:

bluejackets92fs
01-10-2011, 20:20

Nothing like 2800 ft/s of projectile inside of a house:whistling:

RMTactical
01-10-2011, 20:22
Nothing like 2800 ft/s of projectile inside of a house:whistling:

What should we use on criminals who break into our homes in the middle of the night? Bean bag shotguns and tazers?

bluejackets92fs
01-10-2011, 20:31
What should we use on criminals who break into our homes in the middle of the night? Bean bag shotguns and tazers?

Something that isn't going to penetrate 15 interior walls and end up in your neighbors house. I may seem bitter on this but my uncles neighbor was killed by a .223 last year because someone ND in their house and the round went through 2 floors and struck her upstairs. If you live by yourself in the middle of nowhere then use a flame thrower for all I care but I sure as hell don't want someone near me defending themselves with a .223 and running the risk of striking someone innocent because you want to be billy bad ass with your "short quarter setup" Ar15. I apologize for being bitter but it seems like that is an unnecessary risk to be taking IMO.

cmslone
01-10-2011, 21:25
Velocity is not the sole cause of penetration. Bullet construction and behavior play a role. Overpenetration of a HD .223 round is exaggerated if you look at the tests. Many JHP pistol rounds seem to perform closer to a FMJ once that hollow point is filled with a medium such as drywall. I'll try to find some charts.

Captains1911
01-10-2011, 21:27
Velocity is not the sole cause of penetration. Bullet construction and behavior play a role. Overpenetration of a HD .223 round is exaggerated if you look at the tests. Many JHP pistol rounds seem to perform closer to a FMJ once that hollow point is filled with a medium such as drywall. I'll try to find some charts.

This.
The .223 is not as bad HD round as many make it out to be. Not my first choice either.

RMTactical
01-10-2011, 21:37
Something that isn't going to penetrate 15 interior walls and end up in your neighbors house. I may seem bitter on this but my uncles neighbor was killed by a .223 last year because someone ND in their house and the round went through 2 floors and struck her upstairs. If you live by yourself in the middle of nowhere then use a flame thrower for all I care but I sure as hell don't want someone near me defending themselves with a .223 and running the risk of striking someone innocent because you want to be billy bad ass with your "short quarter setup" Ar15. I apologize for being bitter but it seems like that is an unnecessary risk to be taking IMO.

Sorry to break this to you but the same guns and ammo types that penetrate walls really well also happen to be the best at stopping bad guys.

Tons and tons of SWAT teams around the country use AR15 carbines when they go on raids, in Metropolitan areas. I know, I speak with these men on a daily basis. It's not often that you hear about them killing innocent people by spraying wildly with their AR15. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever heard of it...

cmslone
01-10-2011, 21:42
Sorry to break this to you but the same guns and ammo types that penetrate walls really well also happen to be the best at stopping bad guys.

Tons and tons of SWAT teams around the country use AR15 carbines when they go on raids, in Metropolitan areas. I know, I speak with these men on a daily basis. It's not often that you hear about them killing innocent people by spraying wildly with their AR15. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever heard of it...

Raises hand.

Some reading.

From Urban Battleground by Massad Ayoob

Ballistic Penetration In Gelatin

(Average penetration in bare ballistic gelatin)
.40 S&W 80 gr. JHP 14.2"
.223 Remington 55 gr. FMJ 14.3"
12 guage 00 buckshot 22.8"
12 guage 1 oz. slug 21.0"
(Average penetration in ballistic gelatin after passing
through typical interior sheetrock walls)
.40 S&W 180 gr. JHP 25.2"
.223 Remington 55 gr, FMJ 11.5"
12 guage 00 buckshot 23.2"
12 guage 1-oz. slug 23.4"

and

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=27

bluejackets92fs
01-10-2011, 22:20
I'm just saying I personally wouldn't grab my Ar when someone bust through my front door. If it is all I had then yeah but it just seems a little too risky. Also, to compare a member of SWAT to an average citizen is ridiculous. Especially in terms of firearm discipline.

lawman800
01-10-2011, 22:33
Also, to compare a member of SWAT to an average citizen is ridiculous. Especially in terms of firearm discipline.

Not if the citizen has a CCW license.:whistling:

bluejackets92fs
01-10-2011, 22:37
Not if the citizen has a CCW license.:whistling:

Seriously? I have CCW so does that mean I am qualified to be a member of SWAT?
Once again, comparing the 2 is ridiculous.

lawman800
01-10-2011, 22:40

Don't take it from me, ask the many CCW'ers who are on carry issues, gng, and even coptalk.

RMTactical
01-10-2011, 22:43
I'm just saying I personally wouldn't grab my Ar when someone bust through my front door. If it is all I had then yeah but it just seems a little too risky. Also, to compare a member of SWAT to an average citizen is ridiculous. Especially in terms of firearm discipline.

Not really. I have been to firearms courses with LEO's and SWAT team members. Anyone can be as well trained as one of them. In fact, the average shooting enthusiast (not talking casual shooters, I mean real enthusiasts) probably has as much or more range time than the average LEO.

Yeah, a SWAT team member would be hard to beat, but the average LEO? Not hard at all. Trust me, there are plenty of LEO's with rifles in their trunk and they shoot it maybe twice a year in some cases.

Lastly, 5.56 is not as much of a penetrator as it is thought to be by many. Like another poster already linked for you, studies have suggested that it is actually safer to shoot a criminal in your home with a 5.56 than it is with the standard handgun round, and that includes JHP's.

lawman800
01-10-2011, 22:56
Not really. I have been to firearms courses with LEO's and SWAT team members. Anyone can be as well trained as one of them. In fact, the average shooting enthusiast (not talking casual shooters, I mean real enthusiasts) probably has as much or more range time than the average LEO.

Yeah, a SWAT team member would be hard to beat, but the average LEO? Not hard at all. Trust me, there are plenty of LEO's with rifles in their trunk.

Unfortunately, that is true. Depending on the department, some LEO's get as little as 20-50 rounds a YEAR to qualify and that's all they get. We are lucky to have quarterly quals along with 50 rounds a month to practice. However, that is very easily topped by an avid shooter who goes to the range regularly. Heck, even casual shooters who shoot 100 rounds a month will have more rounds down range than us.

The only difference and advantage we have is the structure and the training that goes along with what we shoot. Compared to the average shooter that might throw 100 rounds down range at the indoor range without formal instruction or structure, we shoot our rounds with direct instruction and we get more than stand there and shoot static scenarios.

But if the civilian goes to any formal training sites regularly and keeps it up with regular practice on his own, he'll very likely be better trained than the average LEO that only does the minimum. Truth is, a lot of LEO's aren't avid shooters so they only do the minimum.

AlexHassin
01-11-2011, 00:13

Does that mean that my drivers license qualifies me to be a race car driver?

mjkeat
01-11-2011, 00:31
Has anyone read the article claiming LEOs hit % is lower than criminals? I think its on this site somewhere.

lawman800
01-11-2011, 00:54
Does that mean that my drivers license qualifies me to be a race car driver?

No, but every person that watched a few episodes of "COPS" or "Law and Order" feels like they can do my job better than me.:whistling:

RMTactical
01-11-2011, 01:02
No, but every person that watched a few episodes of "COPS" or "Law and Order" feels like they can do my job better than me.:whistling:

I don't mean to say I can do a better job of being a LEO just by stating that I can out shoot many LEO's.

The simple truth is as you say, many LEO's are not "gun guys", and even among those who may be, some don't have the time to get out and train all that much unfortunately.

The other side is, police work is not all about shooting.

lawman800
01-11-2011, 01:50
I don't mean to say I can do a better job of being a LEO just by stating that I can out shoot many LEO's.

The simple truth is as you say, many LEO's are not "gun guys", and even among those who may be, some don't have the time to get out and train all that much unfortunately.

The other side is, police work is not all about shooting.

No no no... that wasn't in response to you at all.:supergrin:

That was a general rant about how everybody out there thinks they know your job and want to tell you what to do.

You are right. Police work is actually 98% boredom and 2% action and out of that 2% when you have some action, very very very little of that will ever involve gun play. Most cops will go through their entire 20-35 year career without firing one shot in the line of duty other than for qualifications.

I have drawn my gun on many perps and came close but thankfully never had to shoot anyone on duty. Mostly, I get through my shift just talking to people and my gun never even has to leave the holster until I go home.

Streetking
01-11-2011, 02:03
skip the hype and go for the one you'll need in the long run. M1A .308. As far as HD goes get a pistol of your choosing and a shotgun

RMTactical
01-11-2011, 02:10
No no no... that wasn't in response to you at all.:supergrin:

That was a general rant about how everybody out there thinks they know your job and want to tell you what to do.

You are right. Police work is actually 98% boredom and 2% action and out of that 2% when you have some action, very very very little of that will ever involve gun play. Most cops will go through their entire 20-35 year career without firing one shot in the line of duty other than for qualifications.

I have drawn my gun on many perps and came close but thankfully never had to shoot anyone on duty. Mostly, I get through my shift just talking to people and my gun never even has to leave the holster until I go home.

Cool. I just wanted to make sure you knew I hold LEO's in high regard for what they do and have to endure. I have many friends in LE, sell a lot of stuff to LE, and rub elbows with them quite a bit. I've even done a ride along with a friend of mine on LVMPD.

In other words, I have a good idea of how it goes.

lawman800
01-11-2011, 04:16
Cool. I just wanted to make sure you knew I hold LEO's in high regard for what they do and have to endure. I have many friends in LE, sell a lot of stuff to LE, and rub elbows with them quite a bit. I've even done a ride along with a friend of mine on LVMPD.

In other words, I have a good idea of how it goes.

Haha... I've seen your posts and know you are on our side... but you will hear this undoubtedly when others read it... and I think you might have read it too before... but here goes:

*having friends in LE
*doing business with LE
*rubbing elbows with LE
*riding along with LE

=/= having any idea of how "it" goes

Just being honest here. You have heard and seen some of it, more than the average citizen... but you don't know how it goes. Honestly, I still don't know how all of it goes and I've been in it since 1994.

Not a knock on you at all, just being truthful.

KalashniKEV
01-11-2011, 05:41

A lot of SWAT teams were stood up after 9/11 to take advantage of "use or lose" Homeland Security dollars.

Feel lucky if your local SWAT team doesn't have a clueless chick or a total doughnut monster all ninja'd up on it...

AK_Stick
01-11-2011, 06:44

Could have just as easily been any other common caliber, since most of them out penetrate 5.56.

Infact, a miss from a handgun, is more likely to penetrate walls than a 223.

lawman800
01-11-2011, 09:00
A lot of SWAT teams were stood up after 9/11 to take advantage of "use or lose" Homeland Security dollars.

Feel lucky if your local SWAT team doesn't have a clueless chick or a total doughnut monster all ninja'd up on it...

Then there are the clueless chicks who are also donut monsters. We got those too. But not on SWAT. We call them dispatchers.

AlexHassin
01-11-2011, 09:57

I get the same thing, except its people that watch “ER” “House” or some other medical show.

trlcavscout
01-11-2011, 10:53

.40 S&W 80 gr. JHP 14.2"

That is interesting. Just from previous experience, military and plinking. I carry a Glock 22 for work and CCW and put a lot of rounds down range from full power HP/FMJ to reload FMJ. I have seen 5.56 penetrate walls/barriers and hit people, I am sure 40 has also?

I can tell you I have a set of steel plates that i have shot probably 3k times with 40 HP/FMJ, they have stopped everything, of course they knock the plates over. Then I shot one of the plates one day at 25yds with my AR and low powered 50gr HP from wally mart 200rd value pack and it left a big smokin hole in the plate and of course the plate still stood.

Also the distance that a round can travel that doesnt hit the target is a concern to me. So although nothing is perfect I will continue to grab the .40 for HD. Definitley interesting reading.

RMTactical
01-11-2011, 11:46

.40 S&W 80 gr. JHP 14.2"

That is interesting. Just from previous experience, military and plinking. I carry a Glock 22 for work and CCW and put a lot of rounds down range from full power HP/FMJ to reload FMJ. I have seen 5.56 penetrate walls/barriers and hit people, I am sure 40 has also?

I can tell you I have a set of steel plates that i have shot probably 3k times with 40 HP/FMJ, they have stopped everything, of course they knock the plates over. Then I shot one of the plates one day at 25yds with my AR and low powered 50gr HP from wally mart 200rd value pack and it left a big smokin hole in the plate and of course the plate still stood.

Also the distance that a round can travel that doesnt hit the target is a concern to me. So although nothing is perfect I will continue to grab the .40 for HD. Definitley interesting reading.

Yes, 5.56 can penetrate mild steel that something like a .40 cannot. However, drywall is another story, so is soft tissue.

You may not believe it but a hit in soft tissue with a 5.56 round that fragments is less likely to overpenetrate than a a hit with a .40. This is what happens to a 5.56 that hits soft tissue at high velocity.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/M193-1.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/m193frag.jpg

bluejackets92fs
01-11-2011, 11:52
My issue isn't penetration it is how far a round will travel or can travel after a bad shot or a pass through shot. I will continue to grab a 9mm or .45 over a .223 for this fact. I think there are many better options for HD over an AR is all I'm saying. If OP wants to do it fine, some 21 year old kid on GT isn't going to swing his decision.

RMTactical
01-11-2011, 13:02
My issue isn't penetration it is how far a round will travel or can travel after a bad shot or a pass through shot. I will continue to grab a 9mm or .45 over a .223 for this fact. I think there are many better options for HD over an AR is all I'm saying. If OP wants to do it fine, some 21 year old kid on GT isn't going to swing his decision.

I don't think you understand what we have been saying.

How far the round will travel and penetration are the same thing in this discussion. In other words, chances are lower that you will have collateral damage with a 5.56 than most other types of ammo, unless you only have AP ammo.

IMO, there is no better choice than an AR15 if you know how to use it.

Personally, if someone breaks into my house, I will likely grab the gun closest to me at the time, be it handgun, shotgun, AR15... but if I have a choice the AR15 is the easy choice.

NeverMore1701
01-11-2011, 14:49
I don't think you understand what we have been saying.

How far the round will travel and penetration are the same thing in this discussion. In other words, chances are lower that you will have collateral damage with a 5.56 than most other types of ammo, unless you only have AP ammo.

IMO, there is no better choice than an AR15 if you know how to use it.

Personally, if someone breaks into my house, I will likely grab the gun closest to me at the time, be it handgun, shotgun, AR15... but if I have a choice the AR15 is the easy choice.

That sums it up nicely for me :thumbsup:

Novocaine
01-11-2011, 16:26
When my arse is on the line I want the most effective tool for getting my arse off the line. There’s no such thing as “effective enough”. If I’m being shot at by a gent and I have an access to both .40SW with latest hollow points and PKM with APs said gent will be getting a burst of 7.62. I would hit him with minigun if I had one set-up and ready. Yes, it would put my neighbors at higher risk and it’s unfortunate.

The most effective weapon available to me at this point is AR. By effective I don’t mean terminal performance alone but bunch of factors including the fact of availability itself. So that’s what I’m using. By happy coincidence AR also is one of those firearms that would cause least harm to innocent bystanders in my hands. Definite bonus, just not a decisive factor.

tx787
01-12-2011, 16:53
Suggesting that a citizen shouldn't be allowed to use a 5.56 caliber rifle to defend their house is a slippery slope. People who ND and harm or kill innocent people should be prosecuted, people who intentionally shoot people they aren't justified to shoot should be prosecuted, people who want to responsibly own an AR15 clone should be allowed to do so as it is their constitutional right. It is also their right to defend their home with one if they chose to do so (in most states).

People have been killed by almost every caliber ever made and people have survived being shot by almost every caliber ever made.

I would rather get a FAL, M1A or AK if I wanted a caliber bigger than 5.56.

Overall, I think the 5.56 AR15 clone rifles are great SHTF, HD, plinking, do everything guns. I am still going to grab my AK if the SHTF and my G37 if something goes bump in the night, those are just my choices.

Teecher45
01-13-2011, 12:26
I have a an AR, I kinda like it, even if it is the poodle shooter variety. I load it with 75 gr. TAP's and feel okay.
But this was after I had the perfect all around, do (mostly) everything (I'm not gonna' shoot a grizzley with it) gun, a Marlin 30/30. Federal hunting rounds are about $10 a box at Wal-Mart. I got plenty of them too!
OP, I love my AR (Colt 6920), if you want one, go get it!

glock22357
01-15-2011, 08:09
I have a an AR, I kinda like it, even if it is the poodle shooter variety. I load it with 75 gr. TAP's and feel okay.
But this was after I had the perfect all around, do (mostly) everything (I'm not gonnan shoot a grizzley with it) gun, a Marlin 30/30. Federal hunting rounds are about $10 a box at Wal-Mart. I got plenty of them too!
OP, I love my AR (Colt 6920), if you want one, go get it!

You really like this.....
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/centerfire/zoom_336C.jpg

Better than this?
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/colt/colt_m4_6920.jpg

I can see one point to your choice.....30-30 is a beast compared to 5.56. I love GT, ya learn something new every day.

lawman800
01-15-2011, 18:17
You really like this.....
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/centerfire/zoom_336C.jpg

Better than this?
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/colt/colt_m4_6920.jpg

I can see one point to your choice.....30-30 is a beast compared to 5.56. I love GT, ya learn something new every day.

If you're not a guerilla fighter or insurgent, most civilian confrontations end without a shot being fired or less than a handful at most. Even most police shootings end with shooting just enough rounds to put down the threat, 3 if you do a failure drill.

The YouTube videos of the crazy police shootouts with hundreds of rounds flying are really pretty rare and not the norm. However, cops carry lots of rounds due to their constant exposure to the risk.

If you are not a drug dealer in danger of having a team of gunmen looking to rob you, you should be able to handle most threats with a good 30-30 carbine. I know I would be comfortable with it. Most folks will never have to get into a sustained firefight in their lives.

But if you have an AR and are comfortable with it too, then have at it by all means. As long as you're alive and the turd isn't that's all that matters.

Teecher45
01-15-2011, 21:54
lawman pretty much summed it up. I'll put it like this.
I like my AR, I love my Marlin.
This is not intended to start a pissin contest, just my opinion ONLY.

20South
01-15-2011, 22:18
lawman pretty much summed it up. I'll put it like this.
I like my AR, I love my Marlin.
This is not intended to start a pissin contest, just my opinion ONLY.

Hey nothing wrong with that. I have a buddy with a Marlin 30-30 that he has been shooting for close to 40 years I bet. Its his only rifle and he swears by it for anything.

Teecher45
01-17-2011, 17:53
Thanks 20, I got it from my father for my 13th birthday and I'm 42. It still has the 4X Redfield and see-through mount that come on it.I know where the bullet will be out to 200 yds with Federal 150's ($10 a box at wal-mart, and I have more than a few), it does not have the horrible cross bolt safety, and it has always gone bang when I have pulled the trigger. I love mine.