Not a bad price [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Not a bad price

Fwdftw
01-01-2011, 22:03
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DTIM4MOEODG&name=Delton+Inc.+MOE+Edition+DTI-15+.223%2f5.56+Rifle+OD+Green&groupid=208

delton MOE edition.. i know its not your milspec BCM etc etc etc but still not bad for the range shooter

mvician
01-01-2011, 22:19
and for a few dollars more you can have something a lot better....

trlcavscout
01-01-2011, 22:44
Not a bad price at all.

RMTactical
01-01-2011, 23:16
No not bad for a plinker. Easily upgraded though.

mjkeat
01-01-2011, 23:23
For the money it would cost to upgrade youd be spending more then if you would have just spent the extra $80 on something better to start with.

RMTactical
01-01-2011, 23:58
For the money it would cost to upgrade youd be spending more then if you would have just spent the extra $80 on something better to start with.

Not necessarily. It depends what you upgrade. Also let's say you upgrade the bolt. Well, now you have a spare bolt which everyone should have if they are a serious shooter anyways. My point is, you could do far worse. Its not a terrible gun and it has some cool upgrades already.

Broncbuster
01-02-2011, 07:32
Not a bad price. Nothing wrong with Delton. I have one I put together that has been 100% reliable and is more accuarate than some of my hi dollar rigs. Funny how I have never heard or seen a failure but people always have negative comments about these and most probably have never owned one.

Frog1
01-02-2011, 08:22
Del Ton is the hidden jewel in AR land. I built one just like the picture for $620.00. They use Mossberg barrels on the non-chrome lined guns. Most accruate AR's I have all have Mossberg barrels on them.

Save a hundred dollars and get one of their kits. Add the free float option, and you will have a tack driving carbine for about the same money. Great quality.

G26man
01-02-2011, 08:28

Isn't that pretty much always the case?

Dig the OD furniture.

mjkeat
01-02-2011, 08:30
Not necessarily. It depends what you upgrade. Also let's say you upgrade the bolt. Well, now you have a spare bolt which everyone should have if they are a serious shooter anyways. My point is, you could do far worse. Its not a terrible gun and it has some cool upgrades already.

Yeah but then your back to your back to where you started w/ an inferior bolt. If youre running your gun hard enough to brake a "good" bolt how long do you think the bolt you deemed "not good enough" and "worthy of replacement" will last?

I do agree you can do much worse but for the price of a new bolt you can have something that comes w/ grade A parts from the manufacturer. You'll have the piece of mind that comes w/ knowing your rifle is up for any challenge, was machined correctly w/i proper specs each and every time.

Ive thought about purchasing the same rifle from AIM but keep telling myself spend a little more change and get something a lot better. I also want to be able to run Wolf or Tula w/o voiding the warranty.

boomhower
01-02-2011, 08:35
1/9, non-chromelined? No thank. I hate the Spikes logo with a passion but I would spend another $80 and go with them. You can get an MOE kit for $100 for the lot if that's what you want. Spend the money on the heart of the gun first, then worry about dressing it up.

RMTactical
01-02-2011, 11:11
Yeah but then your back to your back to where you started w/ an inferior bolt. If youre running your gun hard enough to brake a "good" bolt how long do you think the bolt you deemed "not good enough" and "worthy of replacement" will last?

I do agree you can do much worse but for the price of a new bolt you can have something that comes w/ grade A parts from the manufacturer. You'll have the piece of mind that comes w/ knowing your rifle is up for any challenge, was machined correctly w/i proper specs each and every time.

Ive thought about purchasing the same rifle from AIM but keep telling myself spend a little more change and get something a lot better. I also want to be able to run Wolf or Tula w/o voiding the warranty.

You're overthinking things. Its a backup. Do you have a full size spare tire for your cars?

Plus, I wouldn't expect someone who plans on running their gun hard to buy this rifle. It's a decent rifle for a beginner. Someone who is just gonna plink or just wants to try out the ar platform.

TedG
01-02-2011, 11:32

+1 Do it right the first time and you'll save money in the long run.

mjkeat
01-02-2011, 11:33
You're overthinking things. Its a backup. Do you have a full size spare tire for your cars?

Plus, I wouldn't expect someone who plans on running their gun hard to buy this rifle. It's a decent rifle for a beginner. Someone who is just gonna plink or just wants to try out the ar platform.

I understand what you are saying completely. My point is whether you're just going to fire a few rounds a year the extra $ ( less than $100 ) would be money well spent in the long run. Lets say someone purchases the DelTon then decides they really want to get serious. That person would have to spend the $ to upgrade or purchase another, better quality AR. If they would have spent the extra $ in the beginning they would have saved them self close to a $1000. Whats $80 or so when you're spending almost $800. Buying the Delton has crossed my mind for a throw around but then I fall back on the "why not spend a little bit more for a lot more" way of thinking. Im a value shopper. With this DelTon youre giving up quality for some Magpul furniture. Its easier to save $100 for the furniture than another $800 for another AR when you out grow the Delton.

If he's just wanting to try out the AR platform I suggest renting from the range or barrowing one from a friend. I was shooting next to a guy just yesterday doing just that. I wouldnt hesitate to let someone, that approached me, fondle and put some rounds through any of mine.

You can get the Spikes complete mid length upper w/ buffer and MOE HG for $499 then add a BCM complete lower for $290 and have something that'll handle most anything.

Read this http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1300529. My DD, $499 Spikes, LWRC, build using quality parts from manufacturers w/ good reps have never given me a single problem. Other than putting a lower power trigger assembly in a x39 AR instead of a full power milspec trigger group. That was more of an ammo problem.

RMTactical
01-02-2011, 12:18
Yeah but let's be honest here. Most folks who buy a rifle, get it to the range shoot a couple hundred rounds maybe and put it in their safe for a year or more without so much as fondling it. There are more people out there like that than you'd think. Don't get me wrong. That's not a rifle id buy. But it would work well for the majority of people out there. If they ever decided to get serious it wouldnt take much to get it close enough to milspec that it would run very well.

At least, I myself feel confident I could get it acceptably reliable. Chances are, it will NEVER come to that.

En9999
01-02-2011, 14:38
1/9, non-chromelined? No thanks. I hate the Spikes logo with a passion but I would spend another $80 and go with them. You can get an MOE kit for $100 for the lot if that's what you want. Spend the money on the heart of the gun first, then worry about dressing it up.
You can call them and get a lower without the spider on it.

NeverMore1701
01-02-2011, 14:59
1/9, non-chromelined? No thank. I hate the Spikes logo with a passion but I would spend another $80 and go with them. You can get an MOE kit for $100 for the lot if that's what you want. Spend the money on the heart of the gun first, then worry about dressing it up.

I kinda like the darth vader logo, better than a deer :tongueout:

mjkeat
01-02-2011, 15:22
Yeah but let's be honest here. Most folks who buy a rifle, get it to the range shoot a couple hundred rounds maybe and put it in their safe for a year or more without so much as fondling it. There are more people out there like that than you'd think. Don't get me wrong. That's not a rifle id buy. But it would work well for the majority of people out there. If they ever decided to get serious it wouldnt take much to get it close enough to milspec that it would run very well.

At least, I myself feel confident I could get it acceptably reliable. Chances are, it will NEVER come to that.

I see where youre coming from. I guess my thing is I never know if the latest AR will be my last so I try to go as "big" as finances will allow w/i reason.

-------

Are these Deltons really MilSpec? For some reason I didnt think they were.