Sig P226 VS G19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 VS G19

glock21xxx
01-02-2011, 11:36
Not so much a "vs" per se, however, noticed a slight problem today. Maybe it is common and I just do not have enough experience with the Sigs and cheap ammo.

Went to the range, was firing my newly acquired P226 with no problems until I had (what I thought was a bad primer) occur. I racked the slide, sent the round to the floor and kind of forgot about it. Until about 20 rounds, when it happened again. So, moving on, I switched to the G19 shooting the same ammo and fired 40 rounds almost in a row with no problems.

Here is where it gets interesting. I was really curious and decided, hey what the heck, lets take one of the rounds with a bad primer and see if it fires in the Glock and of course it does.

I was firing that garbage Tulammo, have fired it through my G21SF, G23, G19, Sig P2022 without fail. The P226 would strike the primer but the round would not fire. I think it happened about 6 times out of 100 rounds.

I really love the P226 - It shoots really smooth and really tight groups with relative ease. I did not want to buy ammo at the range in fear of getting screwed on their ridiculous prices.

Can anyone shed some light on why this may be occurring?

Thanks in advance!

Cobra64
01-02-2011, 11:49
Not so much a "vs" per se, however, noticed a slight problem today. Maybe it is common and I just do not have enough experience with the Sigs and cheap ammo.

Went to the range, was firing my newly acquired P226 with no problems until I had (what I thought was a bad primer) occur. I racked the slide, sent the round to the floor and kind of forgot about it. Until about 20 rounds, when it happened again. So, moving on, I switched to the G19 shooting the same ammo and fired 40 rounds almost in a row with no problems.

Here is where it gets interesting. I was really curious and decided, hey what the heck, lets take one of the rounds with a bad primer and see if it fires in the Glock and of course it does.

I was firing that garbage Tulammo, have fired it through my G21SF, G23, G19, Sig P2022 without fail. The P226 would strike the primer but the round would not fire. I think it happened about 6 times out of 100 rounds.

I really love the P226 - It shoots really smooth and really tight groups with relative ease. I did not want to buy ammo at the range in fear of getting screwed on their ridiculous prices.

Can anyone shed some light on why this may be occurring?

Thanks in advance!

You may have a sludge buildup in the firing pin channel. Some folks drip lube in there and it eventually may eventually cause problems.

I've never had light primer strike issues on any of my six Sigs. When I detail strip the frame, I shoot Gunscrubber into the firing pin channel a few times and let it drain. Also, when you scrub the breachface, keep the muzzle-end down to prevent Hoppe's from entering the channel. Don't oil.

glock21xxx
01-02-2011, 12:36
That makes sense. I have not broken the slide down yet, just done a quick field strip and cleaning. I do know that the previous owner had a lot of lube in there, I actually wiped a lot of it off before firing the first time. It was literally dripping. I am more of a drop will do ya kind of guy.

quantico
01-02-2011, 12:44
My sigs have never had that issue. Springs get replaced as they get worn, but the earlier guess is a very good one. I would spray the firing pin channel out with some electronic parts cleaner / degreaser and start over with a small amount of lube that is light weight and have at it again.
That being said, crappy ammo is crappy ammo. I might be interested in finding an inexpensive target ammo that is not crazy expensive...Winchester white box / fiochi / PMC / seller & ballot have all been good for me.

HAMMERHEAD
01-06-2011, 11:33
I usually get better primer reliability with Sig and HKs than I do with Glocks. (I sometimes leave a primer high on my reloads)
+1 to cleaning the FP channel.

Cobra64
01-06-2011, 11:55
I usually get better primer reliability with Sig and HKs than I do with Glocks. (I sometimes leave a primer high on my reloads)
+1 to cleaning the FP channel.

If you leave a primer high on your reloads, you are most likely going to induce a misfire. The primer should be seated all the the way into the primer cup.

Years ago I was having a spate of misfires and discovered that it only occurred on Winchester and S&B cases where I was not seating the primers deeply enough. After collecting the misfires and reloading them, they fired off fine. Apparently the first pin strike seated the primers, the second strike ignited them.

I've since read verification of the above, and can argue that a pistol's second strike capability is a benefit to those who are not trained to instinctively "tap/rack/bang" to get the pistol running.

YMMV :)

dpadams6
01-06-2011, 16:52
sounds like the problem is that there was lube in there in the first place. i've always heard that you never put oil/grease in there. especially sigs, since they are far more difficult to clean out the firing pin channel than a glock.

Cobra64
01-06-2011, 17:27
sounds like the problem is that there was lube in there in the first place. i've always heard that you never put oil/grease in there. especially sigs, since they are far more difficult to clean out the firing pin channel than a glock.

:agree:

Too many "experts" drip, drizzle and spray crap all over, under, around and through their guns and wonder why they don't work.

On my pistols, the only part of a slide that gets any lube is grease on the rails.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P220/P1030204.jpg

Same on the frame.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P220/P1010448.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P220/P1010454.jpg

To each his own. :)

glock21xxx
01-09-2011, 12:49
Update - broke slide down, found lube in the firing pin channel and a little gunk. Cleaned, reassembled, and took to the range, fired 100 tulammo, 100 federal, 100 JHP's - not one issue.

thanks for the help fellas.

Cheers!