Assessment of EMP 9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Assessment of EMP 9mm

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 18:34
Last night I was getting all of my gear ready for a local IDPA shoot this morning. I was loading up mags for my G34 and STI. I also cleaned the Glock because it had had about 1800 rounds through it without cleaning.
So I grab my comp bag in the AM and head to the shoot. I quickly find out that I had forgot to throw my glock and sti in the bag! All the loaded mags were there, but no gats!! While all my buddies are laughing at me, I remember that I threw my EMP in the bag in hopes I could run a mag or 3 after everything was over. So i hold it up and :dunno:( do one of these guys to my buddies) and decide instead of pouting, Id just run the EMP. On to the results:

Total during the match I fired 74 rounds. I had no FTF's(fires) and no FTE's through all the mags, but i did have some FTFeeds. I think it was because the mag spring's were too strong. Also the gun failed to go into battery 2ce and I quickly ejected the round instead of doing the correct assess before throwing it out. It must have been because of the intense stress i was under:rofl:

Accuracy: I am not sure if it'll group 1" at 25, but it is combat accuracte which is the only thing that concerns me. I havent stood stagnent on a line and tried to shoot for best group in about 4 years because I have learned that it is a waste of time. All shots were accurately on man sized target from 2yd-20yd's.

Manipubility: I ran the gun extremely well. Recoil is null and void with this gun, recoiling less than probably my G34. Time wise I was beating all of my friends that were shooting their FS 1911's, G34's, and M&PPRO's. I was not as accurate as some, but speed and semi accurate is better than accurate and slow in IDPA. Mag changes were not exactly smooth, but I also wasnt used to the smaller gun.

Overall, I am super impressed with this guy and know its going to stay with me for quite a long time!!! The failures are fine considering it was my first time running it and all i got to do was shoot some remoil in the slide and on the barrel hood. I will also load the mags up to cap and let them sit a bit and im sure the mag springs will work themselves out.

Changes and areas lacking:
First is the thing most of everyone mentions:lack of FS checkering. This is an easy, but not cheap fix that will be done SOONER than later most likely. I dont like the pattern on the LD's as much as some. I prefer a more aggressive grip even with a carry gun. The gun is fit well, but not great. I think for $1000, they could have done a little better job, but it is not a big deal whatsoever because the gun RUNS.
Im going to change the trigger to 10-8 flat, rear sight to 10-8, checker FS and MSH, flush cut SS, and replace the ambi with single side from WC. A lot of these options are just personal tastes and are not in anyway shape or form necessary for anyone else.

Given enough mags, I could easily shoot 500, heck probably 1000 out of this gun in one day comfortably. I will note that the Mec-Gar mags supplied with the gun are MUCH easier to load then standard 1911 9mm mags from any of the other companies out there!!! THE EMP ROCKS!

Quack
01-02-2011, 18:43
good to hear that it ran well for you.

seems like the newer production 9mm EMP magazines use the mag spring from the .40 mags.

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 19:08
good to hear that it ran well for you.

seems like the newer production 9mm EMP magazines use the mag spring from the .40 mags.

Must be! When I would remove mag to unload and show clear, a round would pop out of the magazine while removing!! I left them loaded for 3 days straight too!

Quack
01-02-2011, 19:15
Too bad you didn't meet up today. i had your gift (TGO-1) with me, but now i can't give it to you because it's used :rofl:

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 19:18
Too bad you didn't meet up today. i had your gift (TGO-1) with me, but now i can't give it to you because it's used :rofl:

I prefer used guns as gifts! We should try and plan a shoot after I get back from SHOT. We'll I guess we'll wait until i get the WC and NH. What happens when the NH gives ya a chub?

And too bad you didnt come shoot in >30 degree weather :tongueout:

Quack
01-02-2011, 19:19
met up with some people, so was a no go to the match for me today.

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 19:25
met up with some people, so was a no go to the match for me today.

Do any of the indoor ranges round your neck of the woods have indoor USPSA or IDPA?

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 19:26
And no photos of the range day?

Quack
01-02-2011, 19:32
nah, we were all split up and Lawdog & knedrgr had to take off. i did take some pics of alanjr's guns. The TRP-C and the R1 ran great. the EMP doesn't like SXT 127gr +P+, FTFeeds and FTFire. i still have the stock MS in there, so it seems that the SXT's have harder primers, BUT when they did fire, they didn't feel that bad and didn't blow up in Lawdog's hand. :animlol:

a GI that went through the SACS
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1144981895_kTqMs-M.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1144982822_KNLRo-M.jpg

and an older DW.
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1144984288_BSHDa-M.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1144984811_YQnG7-M.jpg

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 19:36
Pretty cool DW! Not crazy about the grips, but beautiful gun!

Have you finished all the work on the R1 or not started yet? Sorry if this has been covered, Im retarded

Quack
01-02-2011, 19:43
the DW is from the Bob Serva era.

the R1 is in progress and runs well.
need to get an EGW ejector, bevel/de-horn, checker the FS and back of slide, my 10-8 sight should be here tomorrow on tuesday, then get a gold/brass bead front sight and re-finish.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1136246867_TUAqy-L.jpg

also shot my first revolver today (6" S&W 686 .357Mag) and liked it. of the 6rds i put though it, i had 4 one hole shots, and the other 2 in another hole.
always wanted to buy a revolver, but never shot one to make me want to buy one. now i want one. looking at a 625JM since it shoots .45ACP and will keep me to 2 calibers still.

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 19:48
the DW is from the Bob Serva era.

the R1 is in progress and runs well.
need to get an EGW ejector, bevel/de-horn, checker the FS and back of slide, my 10-8 sight should be here tomorrow on tuesday, then get a gold/brass bead front sight and re-finish.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1136246867_TUAqy-L.jpg

also shot my first revolver today (6" S&W 686 .357Mag) and liked it. of the 6rds i put though it, i had 4 one hole shots, and the other 2 in another hole.
always wanted to buy a revolver, but never shot one to make me want to buy one. now i want one. looking at a 625JM since it shoots .45ACP and will keep me to 2 calibers still.

It's looking good! Ya revolver's are fun. I prefer ones setup for moon clips, but I still dont like shooting them anywhere near as much. Ive kicked around for a long time starting to shoot them in comp because no one does and I would have a lot of easy wins and probably be able to pick up sponsorship from someone but could never bring myself to do it.
Were picking up a 21 gun collection from a woman this week. All Colt 1911's/revolvers and Smith revolvers. All either NIB or shot very minimally supposedly. I'll keep an eye out for something that you might like.

Quack
01-02-2011, 19:51
THanks!!!

the 625JM uses moon clips. looking at one on GB that is setup and ready to go. has a trigger job on it bringing the DA down from ~12# to 7.5#.

let me know what you pick up from here. since it's a new year, i'm open to buying a Colt :animlol:

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 19:58
THanks!!!

the 625JM uses moon clips. looking at one on GB that is setup and ready to go. has a trigger job on it bringing the DA down from ~12# to 7.5#.

let me know what you pick up from here. since it's a new year, i'm open to buying a Colt :animlol:

LOL I will. I know there is a LW Commander and Gold Cup. I think there's 2 or 3 more and cant remember what they were. I dont know my Colt's very well. If you dont end up getting that S&W, I can put you in touch with a good friend and frequent customer who is a BIG revolver guy. He probably owns over 180 smith revolvers alone and thats not counting all the others. Hell the guy had 5 SW41's sitting in his safe! He is also a gunsmith/regional IDPA Director in OH and does absolutely AMAZING things with smith triggers.

BuckyP
01-02-2011, 20:23
Total during the match I fired 74 rounds. I had no FTF's(fires) and no FTE's through all the mags, but i did have some FTFeeds. I think it was because the mag spring's were too strong. Also the gun failed to go into battery 2ce and I quickly ejected the round instead of doing the correct assess before throwing it out.
...snip...
Overall, I am super impressed with this guy and know its going to stay with me for quite a long time!!! The failures are fine considering it was my first time running it and all i got to do was shoot some remoil in the slide and on the barrel hood. I will also load the mags up to cap and let them sit a bit and im sure the mag springs will work themselves out.

Excellent report. I am glad you are happy with it. I guess I'm a bit more critical, but I'd be leery about a gun with FTFs. I am hoping the break in, as well as leaving the mags loaded make everything OK.

I've been seriously thinking of getting an EMP to fill the carry role of my P2000SK. Hearing this, and that it doesn't like 127 SXTs makes it a hard choice. The P2000SK feeds everything and has never jammed or failed to go into battery.

Don't get me wrong, I am allured by the virtues of the 1911 (KC on my hip as I type). Would like to hear a follow up report after the mags and gun break in.

Quack
01-02-2011, 20:25
Excellent report. I am glad you are happy with it. I guess I'm a bit more critical, but I'd be leery about a gun with FTFs. I am hoping the break in, as well as leaving the mags loaded make everything OK.

I've been seriously thinking of getting an EMP to fill the carry role of my P2000SK. Hearing this, and that it doesn't like 127 SXTs makes it a hard choice. The P2000SK feeds everything and has never jammed or failed to go into battery.

Don't get me wrong, I am allured by the virtues of the 1911 (KC on my hip as I type). Would like to hear a follow up report after the mags and gun break in.

you can always send it in the SA if it doesn't work with SXT's or call them and see what they say before you buy an EMP. just tell them that a friend tried the SXT's, they didn't work and you were considering buying an EMP.

BuckyP
01-02-2011, 20:29
you can always send it in the SA if it doesn't work with SXT's or call them and see what they say before you buy an EMP. just tell them that a friend tried the SXT's, they didn't work and you were considering buying an EMP.

Good point. I could use Gold Dots, or I'm still considering the .40 (though now that I know it significantly heavier :sad: ). Or better yet, stop spending money on these addictive things. :alex:

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 20:35

I am not leery at all at this point in time. I have owned quite a bit of 1911's and some have needed broken in, others haven't. If I would judge pistol's by the first outing, I probably wouldnt have kept half the stuff I own. Your right, The SK hasnt failed me either. But it is a completely different platform. I could almost guarantee I could get your KC to fail in someway shape or form running it in matches. There are sooo many variables you dont see with other guns. Another factor and something I forgot to mention is ammunition. I havent shot anything factory religiously in over 4 years. We do all of our loads on a progressive and it is possible to have a bad primer, flipped primer, no powder, no crimp bullet here and there. Obviously no of these are factors with the EMP and they were magazine issues, but It would take a lot more than today to lose faith in the gun. I also normally break a gun down, grease and lube generously before shooting the first time. This one just got sprayed with some remoil. The EMP will be in the stable for quite some time, I can tell you that right now. If i do encounter a problem down the road or something doesnt get worked out, i have all the confidence in the world with sa to get it fixed. I personally only run PDX-1's through my guns, and i will try those out the next time i shoot it and i will make sure to provide a follow up report.

MD357
01-02-2011, 21:45

I've put all sorts of JHPs through mine and haven't had a problem yet. That includes Ranger, HST, Corbon, GS, GD and HS.

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 21:49
I've put all sorts of JHPs through mine and haven't had a problem yet. That includes Ranger, HST, Corbon, GS, GD and HS.

That is encouraging!! Hope I have the same luck! The EMP has the ramped barrel which is good. Lack of is why a lot of 1911's dont like JHP's

BuckyP
01-03-2011, 05:38

Yours is the .40?? (I think someone mentioned that.)

BuckyP
01-03-2011, 06:00
I am not leery at all at this point in time. I have owned quite a bit of 1911's and some have needed broken in, others haven't. If I would judge pistol's by the first outing, I probably wouldnt have kept half the stuff I own. Your right, The SK hasnt failed me either. But it is a completely different platform. I could almost guarantee I could get your KC to fail in someway shape or form running it in matches. There are sooo many variables you dont see with other guns. Another factor and something I forgot to mention is ammunition. I havent shot anything factory religiously in over 4 years. We do all of our loads on a progressive and it is possible to have a bad primer, flipped primer, no powder, no crimp bullet here and there. Obviously no of these are factors with the EMP and they were magazine issues, but It would take a lot more than today to lose faith in the gun. I also normally break a gun down, grease and lube generously before shooting the first time. This one just got sprayed with some remoil. The EMP will be in the stable for quite some time, I can tell you that right now. If i do encounter a problem down the road or something doesnt get worked out, i have all the confidence in the world with sa to get it fixed. I personally only run PDX-1's through my guns, and i will try those out the next time i shoot it and i will make sure to provide a follow up report.

I didn't mean you should loose faith in the gun. I just thought the praise was a little soon. I understand some 1911s don't work out of the gate. Trust me, I've had a couple of tough ones. I'm sure it will work out and be great. Looking forward to the follow up. :thumbsup:

So far the KC has been 100%, even with not so great mags. Admittedly, I did buy it used so didn't have it during the break in period. Only issue to date is 230 SXTs chuck the brass at my forehead. I was low on premium .45 ammo anyway, so I switched to Gold Dots and they run great. It too has seen a few IDPA matches and a lot of reloads. Some day I'd like to get an Aftec extractor for it and revisit the SXTs.

lawdog734
01-03-2011, 08:22
The rounds that choked quack's were the +p+ rounds not just regular sxt and yes all my fingers are still intact.

MD357
01-03-2011, 08:35
Yours is the .40?? (I think someone mentioned that.)

I own both. The 9mm was intended for my better half so I put it through the wringer aswell as my .40. If I carry something I test it with several types of ammo.

polizei1
01-03-2011, 08:57
Glad you like the EMP Rsxr22. I told my buddy the other day that I was going to run the EMP through IDPA (for my first time) hopefully this year and he said I was nuts. I'm sure he'll be running his loaded.

BuckyP
01-03-2011, 08:59
I own both. The 9mm was intended for my better half so I put it through the wringer aswell as my .40. If I carry something I test it with several types of ammo.

Of the two, which do you like better?

rsxr22
01-03-2011, 17:16
Glad you like the EMP Rsxr22. I told my buddy the other day that I was going to run the EMP through IDPA (for my first time) hopefully this year and he said I was nuts. I'm sure he'll be running his loaded.

Minus the fact of the shorter sight radius and it being a little harder to manipulate, I would say the EMP would be a fine gun to run in IDPA. The only thing is if you are competitive with the sport is that you have to run the gun in ESP. I wish they would add a CC division in for the guys who want to shoot the sport to improve carry and home defense skills.

Quack
01-03-2011, 17:20
the EMP would be a great gun for BUG matches.

polizei1
01-03-2011, 18:33
Well see, that's the thing...I want to do it to improve MY skills. I'll be competing for fun, but mostly just against myself. I'm not concerned with trying to win a competition at all. I was even thinking about shooting matches with my Milt Sparks for the draws, trying to hone the CCW skills.

rsxr22
01-03-2011, 19:57
Well see, that's the thing...I want to do it to improve MY skills. I'll be competing for fun, but mostly just against myself. I'm not concerned with trying to win a competition at all. I was even thinking about shooting matches with my Milt Sparks for the draws, trying to hone the CCW skills.

That is a great idea and good logic!! I got into IDPA with the same ideas using a G23, but then i started winning local matches more and more and being that i am very competitive in nature and played sports my whole life, i decided to take it more seriously and try to get a partial sponsorship. Mainly to cut costs on ammo and gear. Im shooting to get in with either WC or STI. Problem was I was not in OH for this years state matches and GA's talent pool is WAY bigger.

MD357
01-03-2011, 22:32
Of the two, which do you like better?

It just depends, I really like them both but I found that the 9mm found it's way under my shirt several times this past summer. It's just too easy to conceal and it's so light.