Those Magpul Plastic Front/Rear Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Those Magpul Plastic Front/Rear Sights

USMCsilver
01-02-2011, 19:41
I just picked up the MOE M&P AR-22/15 and it has those "new" Magpul sights on it.

I'll admit, when I saw them coming to the market, I was excited; I'd never seen a pair in person until I got this rifle the other day.

While they seem somewhat secure and sturdy, I do see them being more fragile than traditional metal sights. Granted, of course metal is more sturdy, but I guess what I'm getting at here is -- are there any KNOWN PROBLEMS with these sights?

The sight post on the front sight just seems like its dying to snap right off is something were to get inbetween the winged guards...

So -- what say ye? Good/bad or decent for $100 for a pair of flip-up sights?

bug
01-02-2011, 19:58
They are ok I have a rear on my BCM, and a stock front.

It works good but I am with you seems like it might not take a licking and keep on ticking.

TheBelly
01-02-2011, 20:47
I have a set on my spike's/ar performance 6.8 rifle. I thought the front sightpost was too wide, so I got a brownell's kit and put a thinner one. They seem to have fine accuracy.

RMTactical
01-02-2011, 20:54
My brother already broke one of the rear BUIS's, but Magpul did offer to replace it I believe.

I believe they are decent for the money.

mixflip
01-02-2011, 20:59
I like them but still prefer my Midwest Industry (Troy style) BUIS. I run a piston AR now so I cant use plastic on the FSB anyway. If I were building a super light as possible AR I'd consider the Magpul MBUS for sure.

Broncbuster
01-02-2011, 21:29
I have a rear on my AR. Been great so far. Seems sturdy enough for general use.

mjkeat
01-02-2011, 21:51
Polymer is a very durable material. Ive had no problem w/ mine.

furioso2112
01-02-2011, 22:40
OP seems to have the right opinion - yeah, they're going to break/scuff/melt faster than metal sights, but for a $100 set of back-up sights, made by a reputable company with a lot of great products, is your use likely to get into the "oh crap, not only has my optic/scope gone down, but now my back-ups are gone, too" scenario? That's the deciding factor. I use them on my competition AR, on which I also use a red dot on a QD mount and a scope on a QD mount. Between the 3 aiming items, I have spent about $1300. Plenty of people spend far more than that, but for what I use my guns for, I feel like I've spent about what I will ever get use out of. I have not wanted more expensive sights of any kind bad enough to buy them, although I certainly recognize and appreaciate them.

fuzzy03cls
01-03-2011, 08:34
I do see them being more fragile than traditional metal sights.
Sounds like you need to use then for a while to get over your pre conceived ideas.
Metal is stronger, but it would take a LOT of hard use/abuse to break the Mbus sights.

USMCsilver
01-03-2011, 08:49
Sounds like you need to use then for a while to get over your pre conceived ideas.

Indeed.

Again, I'm not calling them crap, they just seem more fragile than my ARMS #40's that I'm used to using.

Also, the front sight post still concerns me. I think I'll drop a metal one in there just to ease my concerns. I hate the idea of mine snapping off and then making it nearly impossible to get the remnants out in order to replace it.

I'm about to go run some rounds now through the little rifle:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_L8GXATjyrCE/TR5icu67kqI/AAAAAAAAA14/hCdtmlesdgo/s800/MP22.jpg

ArmoryDoc
01-03-2011, 09:38
I'm a Magpul fan but those sights won't be on my carbines. They are overpriced for what they are, which are range toys, IMO. Give me metal. On the BCM I run the LMT rear with post front and standard Colt sights on the 6920. No plastic sights for me.

RMTactical
01-03-2011, 12:45
Here is a picture of the one my brother broke while putting it back on his AR15 the other day. He is sending it in to Magpul.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/2010-12-31_10-02-51_657.jpg

Like I said, I think these are decent for the money, but I've never seen steel or aluminum break like that from being tightened too much on a rail. Not saying it can't happen, but obviously not as easily.

MisterPX
01-03-2011, 12:50
USMC, based upon the idea that they're getting used on a plinking rifle, they'll be fine. Heck, I've even got some for my range rifles. However, I personally won't run them on a "work" rifle.

RyanNREMTP
01-03-2011, 14:49
I like the one I have. I'm buying a front one this week when I get a chance to order it. Polymer is pretty strong but not unbreakable. Just like metal, just depends on what material and how it's treated. My AR isn't used as much as it likes but still gets some dings, bangs and other stuff.

FatBoy
01-03-2011, 15:13
Here is a picture of the one my brother broke while putting it back on his AR15 the other day. He is sending it in to Magpul.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/2010-12-31_10-02-51_657.jpg

Like I said, I think these are decent for the money, but I've never seen steel or aluminum break like that from being tightened too much on a rail. Not saying it can't happen, but obviously not as easily.

I have read/seen pics of the same type of issue from ppl "over" tightening them. That being said, I have a few on my ARs. Either as BU to my Aimpoints, or as range toys, but Troys F/R BUIS for my BCM middy.

FB

USMCsilver
01-03-2011, 17:37
My confidence has increased.

I noticed today that my FSP was screwed way out and that allowed me to screw it in a lot so it doesn't appear to be just hangin' out there so far.

And, during my screwing session, I was humbled to find a metal FSP. Quite enthused, I was. :)

So -- I'm happy. I guess as long as I don't over-tighten, or drop my rifle and have the sight snag on something and have it break off backwards, I should be pretty much good-to-go!

mjkeat
01-03-2011, 18:24
I dont see how over tightening causing the ear to break is the fault of the sight.

USMCsilver
01-03-2011, 18:43
I dont see how over tightening causing the ear to break is the fault of the sight.

Nobody said it was the sight's fault. I'm assuming Magpul is replacing it because they're a good company (and because it's $0.38 in material costs).

RMTactical
01-03-2011, 19:07

Neither do I. All it does is demonstrate how fragile these are in comparison to other materials, such as metal.

Gunnut 45/454
01-03-2011, 19:47
No plastic sites on my guns -EVER! Sorry old school! So my question - are they allowing these on Military used weapons? Not black ops folks regular military!:upeyes:

mjkeat
01-03-2011, 22:57
Nobody said it was the sight's fault. I'm assuming Magpul is replacing it because they're a good company (and because it's $0.38 in material costs).

They are a great company. They've sent me fasteners for free.

Neither do I. All it does is demonstrate how fragile these are in comparison to other materials, such as metal.

True. I honestly wouldnt have a problem taking them into combat though.

Novocaine
01-04-2011, 01:07
Why expect much from plastic? The premise of BUIS (or BUPS in this case, I guess :upeyes:) is just that: back-up. How often do you use your reserve parachute? It's a great marketing move by Magpul, they don't sell a product in this case, they sell a peace of mind. Magpul knows how reliable modern optics are, it knows most BUIS live out their entire life under an eyepiece of some red dot or 1-4X never to be used. It would not be the smartest move IMHO to stake your life on them but, as Magpul fairly deduced, the good news is that you rarely have to.

fuzzy03cls
01-04-2011, 07:44
drop my rifle and have the sight snag on something and have it break off backwards
You shouldn't have any problems with that. I've done it many times & they still work fine.