palladium antivirus infection , help needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : palladium antivirus infection , help needed

Dyno
01-03-2011, 11:00
I have a work laptop that has gotten a dose of palladiun antivirus malware and I have not been able to shake it loose. Help needed......

I have not been able to start in safe mode and with my limited tech know how
I am stuck. I can start safe mode but I still get the palladium screen and it has stopped me from doing what little I know how to do.

Laptop is a Dell.

OS is XP Pro.

I would appreciate any help as I am just stuck.

Thanks , Dyno

corpseal
01-03-2011, 11:35
Try this: http://news.loaris.com/palladium-antivirus-how-to-remove-palladium-pro-scam/#more-2101

Good luck, and be sure and follow the instructions exactly. You will need a clean computer with no virus as part of the process.

Dyno
01-03-2011, 12:54
corpseal ,
Thanks so much for the help . I am down loading/update now, I will be giving it a shot and post back what happens............

Dyno

Drjones
01-03-2011, 15:08
If you can't even boot into safe mode, your system is probably pretty hosed.

I would pull the hard drive and either put it into an external enclosure or get a USB cable kit that can attach it to another computer, then pull your data off the drive and reinstall Windows.

The computer will run better and faster than before anyway.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you can't boot into Safe Mode, it's not a good sign...

Good luck & let us know if we can help further.

srhoades
01-03-2011, 16:43

I would pull the hard drive and either put it into an external enclosure or get a USB cable kit that can attach it to another computer, then pull your data off the drive and reinstall Windows.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you can't boot into Safe Mode, it's not a good sign...

Not necessarily true. Pull the drive, hook it up to a drive reader. Load the current user and software registry hives from the drive and delete the obvious infections from the startup entries. This should at least allow you to then boot into safe mode.

GIockGuy24
01-03-2011, 16:47
You could booting to the Avira Antivir Rescue CD.

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

instructions

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=82163

Pierre!
01-03-2011, 23:33
Mmmm... sounds like it's time to take off and nuke it from Orbit.

It's the only way to be sure...

Happy New Year! :cool:

Dyno
01-04-2011, 07:22

Drjones ,
This sounds great , however , I'm trying the easier stuff first as this is the best first effort for my low tech knowledge at this point. I'll post how things go.

Dyno

Dyno
01-04-2011, 07:28
[QUOTE=srhoades;16576389]Not necessarily true. Pull the drive, hook it up to a drive reader. Load the current user and software registry hives from the drive and delete the obvious infections from the startup entries. This should at least allow you to then boot into safe mode.[/QUOTE

srhodes ,
While this is great info it is way over my head , however , it is great stuff and I am glad the GT braintrust is close by if needed..........

Dyno

Dyno
01-04-2011, 07:33
You could booting to the Avira Antivir Rescue CD.

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

instructions

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=82163

GlockGuy24,
If my current efforts fail this will be my next shot. Looks great for my needs and low tech knowledge. Thanks for keeping in mind my limited know how with pc's.

Dyno

Dyno
01-04-2011, 07:41
Mmmm... sounds like it's time to take off and nuke it from Orbit.

It's the only way to be sure...

Happy New Year! :cool:

Pierre ,

Very true , and , I've had good luck doing just that on my personal pc in the past. However , this is a work computer that accidently got in the hands of
kids over for the weekend and I must make every effort to get it going.

Dyno

GIockGuy24
01-04-2011, 09:03
The Rescue CD has an update function. It may only work if you use a router signed on to DSL or Cable. It might be best to run a full scan without trying to update as the CD download is updated often and a recent download of the CD should be fairly up to date. The update function is great if the CD has been sitting around a while but trying to update without a proper connection can make running scan a bit more difficult as the CD looks for updates. A recently downloaded CD should already be up to date and not require updating. If you get hung up you can just reboot the computer with the CD again. Make sure the computer bios is set to boot from CD first.

Dyno
01-04-2011, 15:21
The Rescue CD has an update function. It may only work if you use a router signed on to DSL or Cable. It might be best to run a full scan without trying to update as the CD download is updated often and a recent download of the CD should be fairly up to date. The update function is great if the CD has been sitting around a while but trying to update without a proper connection can make running scan a bit more difficult as the CD looks for updates. A recently downloaded CD should already be up to date and not require updating. If you get hung up you can just reboot the computer with the CD again. Make sure the computer bios is set to boot from CD first.

Thanks for the help, I will for sure keep this as my backup plan.

Dyno

Dyno
01-04-2011, 15:29
Update ,
At this point the fix posted by corpseal has worked. I have installed AVG and Malwarebytes and run both to finish the cleanup and it looks like everything works.

My thanks to everyone for the help.

Best , Dyno

srhoades
01-04-2011, 18:16
If this is a 32 bit system make sure an run combofix as well. Although you will have to uninstall AVG first.

W4CNG
01-04-2011, 22:19
This is why I now have a iMac, Macbook Pro, 3 iPADS, and 4 iPhones. Lemme see here, no Virus Protection on the Mac's or the iPhones. Microsoft based computers need lots of protection for their wide open operating systems and the multiple holes in their operating systems that have to get fixed every 3-4 weeks!. Yes I still have two of those Windows machines and as soon as they die, the replacements will be MAC's!