shotgun cleaning kit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shotgun cleaning kit?

realitycheck390
01-03-2011, 13:26
Hey all, I didn't know where to put this. I need a shotgun kit for a 12 gauge. I bought a Manchester kit from Walmart yesterday and immediately took it back today. What a bunch of junk that thing was.
I have 25 bucks right now. I don't care what kind of kit it is. Just need to stay in my in my price range and for at least a 12 gauge. It can clean more guns also. So what kits do you guys have and what works best?
Snake bore, regular old rod and patch system?

aippi
01-03-2011, 14:54
7/16th hard wood dowl from Lowes, package of steel wool, roll of paper towels, a can of Rem Oil and a can of brake cleaner to use in place of gun blast. That is all that is needed.

Go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Install and cleaning" and make a polishing rod like in the pictures. Run that through you barrel, then some light oil and some wads of paper towels, you are done. You can blast out the trigger plate assembly and breech bolt about once a year with the break cleaner then let it dry and oil where required. However, if you get caught in the rain and the weapon gets wet or you drop it in the sand then do a complete cleaning.

GlockN9ne
01-03-2011, 17:01
I bought a Manchester kit from Walmart yesterday and immediately took it back today. What a bunch of junk that thing was.

What was wrong with it? I've been considering one of the packages, in fact, I almost bought one on the 1st. Didn't feel like walking to the other side of the store for just that, so I passed for the time.

Jon_R
01-03-2011, 18:04
Little out of your price range but this is what I use. ~$40 if I remember correctly.

Otis Tactical Cleaning System.

http://www.otisgun.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=B9DC009A351C4D44BE717B4E656E7CDA

It works for everything from .22 to 12 gauge. Once the brass brushes get worn I replace them with nylon ones. Once I used up the official patches I just get a bag of patches and cut slits in them to use with this. I also got a bore snake for all my calibers. Q-Tips from the dollar store, some hoppes, and an old toothbrush and you got a complete cleaning kit. All together a little expensive but if you have lots of different stuff it is versatile. If all you have to clean is shotguns then this is all more then you need.

I don't really like pushing things down my rifle barrels so I prefer the way this works where you pull it through.

fran m
01-04-2011, 19:42
Any kit will do. One thing additional to get is a box of Chore Boy COPPER, scrubbing pad. Cut some of the pad off, enough to wrap around any 12 gauge brush, and use this to clean the bore. It takes all fouling out of the barrel. Lead, plastic, powder residue.

Aceman
01-04-2011, 20:01
7/16th hard wood dowl from Lowes, package of steel wool, roll of paper towels, a can of Rem Oil and a can of brake cleaner to use in place of gun blast. That is all that is needed.

Go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Install and cleaning" and make a polishing rod like in the pictures. Run that through you barrel, then some light oil and some wads of paper towels, you are done. You can blast out the trigger plate assembly and breech bolt about once a year with the break cleaner then let it dry and oil where required. However, if you get caught in the rain and the weapon gets wet or you drop it in the sand then do a complete cleaning.

Just got done my annual weapon "once over and twice around"

But for day to day, a bore snake and a can of break free will go VERY far. Add a brush to that...wow. If that was all you did after every shoot, the gun would do great for a long long time.

realitycheck390
01-04-2011, 20:31
I want to thank everyone for your help. Sometimes its the simple things like just a toothbrush that you dont have to go out and buy one.
I went with this one, Kleen Bore Shotgun Cleaning Kit (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Maintenance/Cleaning-Kits-Accessories%7C/pc/104792580/c/104814180/sc/104270580/Kleen-Bore-Shotgun-Cleaning-Kit/742188.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/shooting-gun-maintenance-cleaning-kits-accessories/_/N-1102325&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104270580)

realitycheck390
01-04-2011, 20:49
GlockN9ne, to answer your question. First off it was missing a piece. Then I tried to screw all the rods together and one of them wouldnt screw all the way down like the threads were messed up. Then the adapter I needed for the shotgun wouldnt screw into the end rod. So I removed the third rod and just went with two and it screwed into to that one. Maybe I was doing it wrong, not sure how many ways there are to put rods together, lol.
Then the cotton swabs were just strings cut up and attached to the adapter, and they were just falling apart. I decided there was no way I was putting that in my barrel and leaving cotton everywhere inside my barrel. Im sure theirs some from the cotton patches I used but nothing like what that thing would've left.
Also if you pay close attention to other companys they are the exact same kit they just have a different name on it. They're all made in china. Cabela's has some with they're name on them.