Outlook keeps locking up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Outlook keeps locking up

Drjones
01-03-2011, 15:05
Hi guys.

Have an issue where Outlook 2010 keeps locking up & Not Responding.

Win7 Home Premium x64, new laptop with like 6GB RAM and a Core i3.

Outlook has 4 accounts configured on it:

1) Personal Gmail

2) Google Apps (configured as IMAP - same servers & settings as personal Gmail above)

3) Exchange acct. #1

4) Exchange acct. #2

I know that Outlook has never been (and still isn't) a great IMAP client - could that be part of the issue, as there are two IMAP accounts AND two exchange accounts, all in the same profile?

Have tried repairing it and also uninstalling Outlook and reinstalling it - just Outlook, not all of Office.

Here's what else is odd, is that it WAS working fine until recently. What seems to have thrown a wrench in Outlook is when the client installed SalesForce's Chatter desktop program.

That has since been removed, but the problems persist. Outlook totally freezes and we just have to close it out.

My personal Outlook is setup with an IMAP Gmail account and it will hang up periodically (just did) but it recovers fairly quickly.

Are the two IMAP accounts in combination with the two Exchange accounts just too much for Outlook? But why would it have worked fine and then suddenly stop?

Outlook does seem to work OK in Safe Mode, however.

Thanks

srhoades
01-03-2011, 16:28
My money is on a plugin installed by that Salesforce program. Go into Outlook options and see if it is there and disable it.

Drjones
01-03-2011, 16:44
I'll double-check, but I believe that the plugin has been disabled AND the software was removed in its entirety.

I also ran msconfig and there was still a box checked for it, so I unchecked that from startup.

Also considering doing a sweep of the program files folder and registry to see if I can manually remove any more traces of that chatter program....

Any other ideas?

Thank you!!

srhoades
01-03-2011, 21:09
You have the latest Office updates installed?

etravix
01-03-2011, 21:21
Try uninstalling this update if it's install.

2412171 update

Drjones
01-07-2011, 17:37
You have the latest Office updates installed?

Yep, we do. Will double-check that though.

Drjones
01-07-2011, 17:39

2412171 update

Ok, will try that now & post back results.

Thank you!!

Pierre!
01-08-2011, 08:23
How does it work in SAFE MODE?

I would provide the startup sequence, but I am on my MacBook and can't check... and I love ya man, but it's too early to get too ambitious! :yawn:

It's easy to find the SAFE MODE in Help.... It's there for you even though I am a *BUM* this am.

HTH

Drjones
01-10-2011, 22:18

2412171 update

Was not installed. Thanks though

Drjones
01-11-2011, 10:21
Ok, spent some time on this last night.

Removed the two Exchange accounts and Outlook seemed to function fine.

All the Exchange settings are of course correct, otherwise they wouldn't send/receive email, but something's still not right....

Any ideas? I'm also going to contact one of the Exchange hosts to see what they think.

Thanks