RIA feed problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RIA feed problems

GREY-GHOST
01-03-2011, 17:32
I have a RIA GI that I have ran just over 100 rounds through. I have found that even with ball ammo, the first round will dive into the feed ramp and not chamber if I pull the slide back to chamber. If I release the slide lock, it will usually chamber, but sometimes it won't. This happens when the mag is full. If I run 4-5 rounds in the mag, I don't have any problems.

I called RIA and they told me to run 500 rounds through for break in, running only 5rds at a time in the mag. I have read on here where some people run the same pistol out of the box with zero problems.

I found similar threads on other sites where the mag was to blame. A Wilson 47 d or mccormick mags fixed the problem. Others said to polish the feed ramp.

Has anyone on here had these problems or know what's going on?

btw I'm using the stock ACT mag.

samuse
01-03-2011, 18:04
Sounds like a mag problem.

Try a Checkmate G.I. spec mag.

Hound_dogs_01
01-03-2011, 18:16
ACT mags are some of the best mags you can buy IMO. Those and mec gar are great! I do like mccormick shooting stars also!!

Alex

glock21xxx
01-03-2011, 18:28
I switched to the CM mags and never had an issue at the range. HP's are a different story :/

Hound_dogs_01
01-03-2011, 18:29
I havent had a problem with either of my RIA's feeding with any mags i put in them....

Alex

BeckG19
01-03-2011, 19:29
Get one of these
Check-Mate .45ACP, 7RD, SS, Hybrid, CMF - Full Size 1911 Magazine (http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-7rd-ss-hybrid-cmf-full-size-1911-magazine.html)

SKU: CM45-7-S-H-CMF

these from here http://www.topgunsupply.com/1911-7rd-full-size/index2.html<http: www.topgunsupply.com="" 1911-7rd-full-size="" index2.html=""></http:>

Nakanokalronin
01-03-2011, 19:34
Sometimes a 1911 can be mag/follower choosy. I've never had a problem with any mag except some Wilson Officer sized mags in my Kimber UCII, yep Wilson Combat was a mag it did not like so its not always the answer. Kimpro Tac, Act, Metalform, Wilson Combat Elite and 47D, Colt factory, WWII Colt, etc I've had zero problems with. Try a quality mag and if it works, stick with it but don't hesitate to try other options.

TKR Reptiles
01-03-2011, 20:24
I had that issue with mine when I first got it... I tried a different mag in it and it worked great... I called Armscor and they sent me a new mag out and it fixed it all... Some times the mags come PACKED in grease, and just need a good cleaning...

TN.Frank
01-03-2011, 21:27
I always take my Dremel with the bullet head and some rouge and polish the feed ramp on any semi-auto that I buy. I'll normally do the under part of the slide where it rides the hammer and the hammer too just to slick things up a bit.
1911a1's can be mag picky so I'd try a few other mags, maybe a Pro Mag or Mec Gar before you do much else.

ilgunguygt
01-03-2011, 22:40
I always take my Dremel with the bullet head and some rouge and polish the feed ramp on any semi-auto that I buy. I'll normally do the under part of the slide where it rides the hammer and the hammer too just to slick things up a bit.
1911a1's can be mag picky so I'd try a few other mags, maybe a Pro Mag or Mec Gar before you do much else.
A dremel to the feed ramp of a 1911 is probably one of the single worst things an amatuer could do.

TN.Frank
01-04-2011, 06:31
A dremel to the feed ramp of a 1911 is probably one of the single worst things an amatuer could do.

Notice that I said use the soft bullet tip with rouge just to polish it, don't use the sanding drums. You're just shinning it up here, not taking off any metal. I've owned around 8 1911a1 style guns and did it to all of em' and never had a problem with HPs or SWC's.

samuse
01-04-2011, 06:54
I always take my Dremel and a Pro Mag...
:supergrin:

ArmoryDoc
01-04-2011, 08:25
Your mag spring has too much tension right now because it's new. Leave it fully loaded for a while so the spring can take its set. DON'T cut any coils ! Use different mags that are broken in and your issue should disappear.

GREY-GHOST
01-04-2011, 08:29
Thanks for the help. I'll try a different mag and see what happens.