New hard drive. No os recovery discs. Now what? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New hard drive. No os recovery discs. Now what?

chevydriver
01-04-2011, 13:35
I have a Lenvo desktop running Vista. I do not have any restore discs for it. I also have a Win 98 harddrive with no restore discs for it. I do not mind running either os. There is a program on the win 98 disc I would like to have.

I bought a new hard drive and want to install one of the os on it. I have the COA for both.

I also have a Win ME full disc. The new hard drive says it want to boot from the cd but it will not boot from the winme disc.

What should I do now?

Thanks for advise or links.

Mark

GenX
01-04-2011, 13:40
Throw the Windows ME in the trash, its not worth the time and effort. You can get the os from the manufacturer and reuse your license key, then upgrade to w7.

IndyGunFreak
01-04-2011, 13:48
I have a Lenvo desktop running Vista. I do not have any restore discs for it. I also have a Win 98 harddrive with no restore discs for it. I do not mind running either os. There is a program on the win 98 disc I would like to have.

I bought a new hard drive and want to install one of the os on it. I have the COA for both.

I also have a Win ME full disc. The new hard drive says it want to boot from the cd but it will not boot from the winme disc.

What should I do now?

Thanks for advise or links.

Mark

Honestly, before I even thought about using Vista, or even the more frustrating Win ME... I'd install Linux on it. Windows Me is what made me start looking into linux alternatives.

Look at it this way, the hard drive is blank right now... Give Linux a try.. If it doesn't work for you, then all you've wasted is a blank CD and a little time downloading the ISO...

http://www.ubuntu.com, download the 10.10, 32bit ISO (32bit generally offers the best hardware compatibility... so unless you need 64bit(ie, over 4gigs of ram), use 32bit.

Burn it as an image to a disk

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Run it from the CD, and see what you think... if you don't like it, no harm no foul. Feel free to PM me (or ask here) w/ any questions.

IGF

captainstormy
01-04-2011, 14:13
You need a full version on the disk to install it on a brand new hard drive. I'm pretty sure restore disks aren't full versions.

duncan
01-05-2011, 01:17
I'm with IndyGunFreak!

I tolerate my Win 7 machines but I've had way more crashes on that OS.

Miss Win XP - much more stable.

And truthfully, I'm running the newest Ubuntu linux distro (Ubuntu 10.10 - Maverick Meerkat) alongside Win 7 Starter.

It give you a lot more power and control of your OS environment and with OpenOffice - MS Office is not really needed.

Can be done.

GenX
01-05-2011, 08:05
I've had a month with w7 on a brand new super duper machine. Meh, the speed of the os underwhelms me. I still prefer ubuntu as well.

zackwatt
01-05-2011, 13:22
Time to try Ubuntu...

chevydriver
Well I have Ubuntu on the cd. Seems to load fine but it is asking for a user name and password.

I got the download from the links above. Any idea what the username aand password is?

Mark

duncan
I've had a month with w7 on a brand new super duper machine. Meh, the speed of the os underwhelms me. I still prefer ubuntu as well.

Try running Win 7 Starter. SUCKS!

Can't even change your wallpaper inside that OS on these netbooks!

zackwatt
01-05-2011, 13:26
Well I have Ubuntu on the cd. Seems to load fine but it is asking for a user name and password.

I got the download from the links above. Any idea what the username aand password is?

Mark

The username and password you want for YOUR computer...

P30
01-05-2011, 13:32
Another vote for Ubuntu. It ain't perfect, but neither is windows and Ubuntu at least is free.

IndyGunFreak
01-05-2011, 13:55

Mark

Did you install it? The Live CD shouldn't ask for a user name and password.

If you installed it, you should have given yourself a username and password during the install process.

IGF

GenX
01-05-2011, 20:01
Try running Win 7 Starter. SUCKS!

Can't even change your wallpaper inside that OS on these netbooks!

What is it? Can't you change to something with few more features.

wrenrj1
01-05-2011, 20:07
I had a HD go bad as well on a dell laptop, I borrowed a Vista OS from a friend to reload after installing a new HD (I'm a novice at this). It loaded, I then re-upgraded to windows 7 for which I had the disks for as I had previously upgraded.

Lesson learned, keep the frickin OS disks! Additional lesson learned buy a Mac, as I did for my home computer. Still have PC laptops, we'll phase them out eventually, just my .02.

Dragoon44
01-06-2011, 23:22
If you want to copy the vista OS from the old drive onto the new one you can use Runtime Softwares "Shadow copy" it is free.

http://www.runtime.org/shadow-copy.htm