City boy going hunting for first time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : City boy going hunting for first time

G23c
01-04-2011, 14:58
First time ever. born and raised in the city so no firearms or hunting as a child. Pretty exciting, heading down just north of Harlingen, TX tomorrow evening. Going with a friend that has had this lease for over 25 years. looking for nilgai, oryx; maybe coyote. Will post pix if successful, will post excuses if not. :supergrin:

smokin762
01-04-2011, 15:28
Congratulations.

I was raised in the big city myself. Now, I live in a slower paced area. My dad was raised out in the country so he showed my brother and me how to hunt and fish at a young age.

Everyday I hunted was a beautiful day even if I did not see any game. I love being out in the woods with nature and nobody else around, it is so peaceful.

If you enjoy hunting, you can always pass along your new skills to your kids someday. I will admit, my brother and I never cared for our dad because of how he was but I did enjoy the hunting and fishing with him. It is a skill that I will never forget.:cool:

BK63
01-07-2011, 19:58
I started a job 25 years ago and met a guy that came up here to CT from Philadelphia. He was a city guy born and raised. 25 years later we are good friends, he lives in the country, has all kinds of guns and hunts and fishes, something he never did before he met me. I don't think he'll ever move back.

duncan
01-08-2011, 05:19
I also moved from an urban area near Dayton, OH to Seattle where I can hunt everythig up to moose if I head up near Canada. Go hunting with your experienced friend and learn from him. And you can pass it on. My 15 year old knows how to find a school of fish and for unregulated species, we have pulled 300 yellow perch for two fish frys. My youngest wants to go out for spring turkey with me. Never went hunting with my dad but did see pheasant hunters in the rear of our property.

PlayboyPenguin
01-08-2011, 05:28
Have fun...nothing like experiencing new things. I am the opposite though. I grew up hunting. Now I just see it as getting up too early, sitting too long in the cold, getting too wet, and shooting at something that does not have a fair chance of shooting back. No thanks...I will sleep in and go to the butcher. :supergrin:

gjk5
01-09-2011, 19:01
good luck man, you will have fun, I grew up near there. throw hogs on that list for sure too. How far up 77 is it?

I am going on a hog/nilgai hunt at my buddy's place in June, probably about 40 mi west of there.

G23c
01-10-2011, 20:40
wow, what a blast! my friends got nilgai antelope and I got my first whitetail, a doe. 30.06 at about 85 yards. we were on the Yturrria ranch, next to the King Ranch about 10(?) miles north of Harlingen. definitely have a greater appreciation for hunting, hunters and nature.

sourdough44
01-12-2011, 04:16
Glad you were able to get some action. Now you can gear up/plan for next time.

alwaysshootin
01-12-2011, 05:35
wow, what a blast! my friends got nilgai antelope and I got my first whitetail, a doe. 30.06 at about 85 yards. we were on the Yturrria ranch, next to the King Ranch about 10(?) miles north of Harlingen. definitely have a greater appreciation for hunting, hunters and nature.

That is wonderful to hear, sounds like a great time! A memory you'll never forget!:cool:

G23c
01-12-2011, 20:58
Glad you were able to get some action. Now you can gear up/plan for next time.

good idea, everyone in camp was laughing at the duct tape covering my thorn ripped jeans.

timberwoof
01-12-2011, 21:47
Were you in a stand, jeep or stalking your prey?

gjk5
01-14-2011, 21:03

Nice, congrats! I know the Yturria's, great place to hunt. Tripod blinds?

G23c
01-14-2011, 23:38
no stand, we were in a jeep, then stalking. a lot of room to cover with varying terrain.