Put an Aimpoint Micro on my 930 SPX--- WOW! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Put an Aimpoint Micro on my 930 SPX--- WOW!

ScrappyDoo
01-04-2011, 18:32
I took advantage of MidwayUSA's sale on Aimpoint Micro R-1's to buy a pair of new Aimpoint Micros... one for my new Bushmaster and the other was going to be for my S&W M&P 15-22. Well anyway I also ordered a $60 Daniel Defense High Mount for mounting on the Bushmaster, but did not order a mount for the 15-22. I wanted to wait and see what I had as far as options and also cheap.

In the meantime I 'threw' my 'extra' Micro on the rail of my 930 SPX... Whoah! It's *PERFECT*.

I mean, I cannot stress how perfect it is. Literally, I am probably going to have to buy another now. I was *considering* buying another "just in case" because the price will never be LOWER, the Aimpoint Micro will never get old or stop working (so I am told) i.e. it will last forever, so it's not bad to have for a future purchase... I figured I would have it and if I ever get another rifle/etc. I would have one in the bank.

Now, I am probably going to not be able to take the 930 SPX's off. It's too awesome. Just wanted to let my fellow GT's know. It really is that cool. Ultimate point and shoot. And it allows you to keep the ghost ring aperture on there, just slide it forward. It's just perfect.

mdfd
01-04-2011, 18:39
thanks for the info - any pics of the two together?

I took advantage of MidwayUSA's sale on Aimpoint Micro R-1's to buy a pair of new Aimpoint Micros... one for my new Bushmaster and the other was going to be for my S&W M&P 15-22. Well anyway I also ordered a $60 Daniel Defense High Mount for mounting on the Bushmaster, but did not order a mount for the 15-22. I wanted to wait and see what I had as far as options and also cheap.

In the meantime I 'threw' my 'extra' Micro on the rail of my 930 SPX... Whoah! It's *PERFECT*.

I mean, I cannot stress how perfect it is. Literally, I am probably going to have to buy another now. I was *considering* buying another "just in case" because the price will never be LOWER, the Aimpoint Micro will never get old or stop working (so I am told) i.e. it will last forever, so it's not bad to have for a future purchase... I figured I would have it and if I ever get another rifle/etc. I would have one in the bank.

Now, I am probably going to not be able to take the 930 SPX's off. It's too awesome. Just wanted to let my fellow GT's know. It really is that cool. Ultimate point and shoot. And it allows you to keep the ghost ring aperture on there, just slide it forward. It's just perfect.

Aceman
01-04-2011, 19:03
Circle Dot FTW on an SG, just my preference.

ScrappyDoo
01-04-2011, 19:32
Sorry for the poor quality, just quick iPhone pics, couldn't locate my good camera.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8813/aimspx1.jpg (http://img832.imageshack.us/i/aimspx1.jpg/)

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8401/aimspx2.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/aimspx2.jpg/)

mdfd
01-04-2011, 19:55
that looks great! I can't seem to find the Aimpoint micro R-1 listed on Midway USA's site...?

ETA: ahh found it....wow! that's a low price!

ScrappyDoo
01-05-2011, 16:17
mdfd-- it was $299.99 which is basically half off. as i understand it, Aimpoint realized there was no reason to have both the R-1 and H-1 and the H-1 sold a lot better than the R-1 (silver color i guess, also a lot of peopl thought it was a lesser site and didn't realize they were IDENTICAL other than paint color) so R-1 is discontinued, and I hear that MidwayUSA made a deal to buy all of Aimpoints stock.

it REALLYT has grown on my to the point of, I am probably buying a THIRD Aimpoint Micro when they come back in stock later this month. it REALLY is that awesome.

I can't imagine not having them and I've had it all of what, a week, and mounted on the 930 SPX for 24 hours ? and PERFECT for HD Shotgun like my 930 SPX Because the Aimpoint is always on .... the battery lasts 5 years or even 1 year on the maximum setting (which is too bright to use really anyway)

mixflip
01-05-2011, 16:55
Congrats on the optics. I have been shopping around for an Aimpoint for my AT and my 930. I just need to recover from the holidays (financially). The size and ridiculous battery life are hard to resist.

mdfd
01-05-2011, 17:51
thanx Scrappy - pls keep us updated on the Aimpoint over time and use, thread subscribed....

ScrappyDoo
01-05-2011, 18:06
No problem.. Mix you have to get it for $300. Have to. Don't need a mount if using on the 930 SPX, need a mount for your AR... but still . Just get out your credit card and do it.

You will seriously thank me. have I ever steered you wrong?

mdfd
01-05-2011, 18:46
Hey Scrappy, the Midwayusa site says it was a one time run deal. You sure it will be available at the end of the month?

mixflip
01-05-2011, 20:56
Scrappy, I am selling stuff on craigslist as we speak... I'll have one soon enough. Keep us informed on how it performs on the shotgun.

G-Lock808
01-05-2011, 21:30
curious, what makes that better than a $50 red dot, or one of the burris fast fire's? really, I know nothing about optics...

ScrappyDoo
01-06-2011, 07:10
i was told the sale runs through 1/31 and they are out-of-stock, apparently they went through like a few thousand of these. I was told I think the 1/17 they're getting more and then that's it.

What makes Aimpoint better is several things: First and foremost glass clarity is much better than a cheaper dot, and it's battle hardened. I don't plan on going into battle but it's nice to know you could. And the battery usage is the best in the world... It lasts for 5 years Constantly On, on setting 8/12 or one year at max setting, ALWAYS ON.... So you never have to think about arming it etc. For a HD Shotgun or Carbine this is very nice. Those reason's are some of the reasons I always wanted an Aimpoint.

mixflip
01-06-2011, 11:57
Most understand that the biggest difference would usually be build quality.

Some folks have experienced failures in the Chinese made red dots due to the internal wiring not being built to the same mil-spec or super high standards of Aimpoints and other high end red dots. Yeah they look the same on the outside but the delicate reticle and wiring and electronics inside are where the real difference is and ultimately what you are really paying for. Adjustability? Nitrogen filled? clarity of the glass? battery connections? water proof? fog proof? shock proof? aluminum vs pot metal? All these things are just some of the difference.

Ad those issues with the violent recoil of shotgun use and you quickly see why a high quality optic might be a better choice? Do you need a $400 optic on your 22lr rifle? Probably not? But a shotgun or other centerfire rifle that may do double duty as a life saving tool...should have decent rugged optics.

Dont get me wrong, some of the Chinese made optics can hold up to hard core use but it can be a gamble to find out which ones are "just as good".

ScrappyDoo
01-06-2011, 14:01
My esteemed colleague mix said it very well. And I am all about value for long term. Barring a catastrophe causing me to sell all my firearms , the Aimpoint scopes I have will last my entire lifetime. And like I said , always on. So when I grab a shotgun OR a M4 for defending home and family , I know for sure I will have a perfectly clear and functional dot to put on that badguy before I send him to he'll wheere he belongs

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-08-2011, 11:42
Good times! I mounted my EoTech 553 on mine...sits a bit high for normal weld. May have to look into an aimpoint micro for it! looks good on your boomstick man.