Christmas present to me [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present to me

rock_jock
01-04-2011, 23:51
Picked up a M1A Scout over the weekend. I have been wanting a .308 SA rifle for awhile, but couldn't decide which one to go with. I have shot FAL's before and never been very impressed. I like the AR-10 ergonomics since they are so close to the 5.56 version, but their increased bulk makes them feel, well, bulky. Must be because I am so used to the AR-15 that a larger size just didn't feel right.

A few weeks ago I fondled a SCAR-17 and when I first picked it up, I thought I had found my true .308 love. They are undoubtedly the "coolest" looking of the group, but my infatuation turned sour quick when I dry-fired it. What an awful trigger, especially on a $2,900 gun. You think for a gun that costs so much and is fielded by our SpecOps boys that they could take an extra ten minutes of labor and clean up the most important user interface on a gun. Very disappointing.

Last week I looked at the M1A full size and the SOCOM version. I felt like Ms. Locks - "the first rifle was toooo big and the second was toooo small". Actually the former wasn't too bad, but the shorty one felt unbalanced.

I had just about given up when on a whim I stopped by my favorite outdoors/farmer's supply store. They had a Scout rifle with green furniture - just the length and color I had been wanting. Pulled it up to my shoulder and the weight and feel were wonderful. What really clinched the deal was an absolute perfect two-stage trigger - just a little take-up and a crisp break at about 5-6 lbs. That is the perfect weight for a trigger on a .308 SA rifle IMO. Anyway, I took it out this weekend and fired a full 20-rd mag. I had a couple of FTF, but I think that was due to my left gloved hand interfering with the op rod. It was so cold I didn't even take the time to check accuracy. There will be time for that later. For right now, I feel like my little family of EBR's is complete now that they have a true "big dog" in the safe.