Question: do most ARs used by patrol officers have slings or no? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question: do most ARs used by patrol officers have slings or no?

cowboy1964
01-05-2011, 08:56
I don't see many patrol ARs but now that I'm thinking about it I'm not sure I ever see them with a sling.

cyrsequipment
01-05-2011, 09:01
I don't see many patrol ARs but now that I'm thinking about it I'm not sure I ever see them with a sling.

Yes and no...

Initially, most are not equipped with a sling. But, the first time an officer tries to actually arrest someone while trying to hold a rifle without a sling... he quickly gets one.

B.Reid
01-05-2011, 09:14
:wow:

mixflip
01-05-2011, 10:08
Yes and no...

Initially, most are not equipped with a sling. But, the first time an officer tries to actually arrest someone while trying to hold a rifle without a sling... he quickly gets one.

This ^. I cant tell you how many times I have to argue the value of a sling and not just for cops. Folks gotta learn some how I guess? Like I always say, a sling is to a long gun like a holster is to a handgun. Not absolutely needed but very appreciated when you really need it.

Bushflyr
01-05-2011, 10:25
^Most definitely. But, look at how most patrol officers use their rifles. They take it out of the rack, they point it at a building or vehicle for a while, then either SWAT shows up or they cover the guys with handguns that take down the suspect. Not that I see a lot of day to day operations, but it seems like most officers consider their handgun their primary firearm and a long gun more of a standoff weapon.

Again, I'm not a cop, but I would be really curious as to what percentage of regular officers grab their rifles on a regular basis.

cyrsequipment
01-05-2011, 10:43
The primary reason that most don't start off with a sling, is that it interferes with the racks and often gets tangled up in things in the trunk or car.

As for the numbers that grab their rifles on a regular basis? I'd hazard a guess that those that have ever been in a situation where they were outgunned, tend to grab it much more often. In any case, I'll also say that neither group grabs it enough.

JASV.17
01-05-2011, 11:42
I see a lot of them, and most do not have a sling. I don't know what, but I guess that maybe it has to do with getting it cleared over a goose-neck light, an MDT, mics and whatnot. Speaking of in-cruiser mounts, not trunk stored.

Bushflyr
01-05-2011, 13:57
Sounds like it would be a good argument for a few disposable rubber bands. Keep the sling tied up tight when it's racked then give it a tug and they break when you get it out of the car.

joe138
01-05-2011, 15:38
My thought is a sling for a rifle is just as important as a holster is to a handgun. It is the first thing I add to a rifle, I don't view a sling as an accessory. The sling is necessary when going hands on and for any other task that requires 2 hands.

cowboy1964
01-05-2011, 16:42
Personally I think a sling is a good idea, for rentention as well as being able to transition to the sidearm or other tasks. But like everything else it's mostly what one is used to and trains with.

Occasionally I'll see an AR on Cops and such shows. Next time I'll pay attention more closely.

Broncbuster
01-05-2011, 16:42
I feel a sling is needed as well. If you need to transition fast from a Rifle to a handgun then all you have to do is lower it. If you need to move --it goes with you. If you need to transition back-- it is right there ,not 30ft away. With all the slings out today there should be one that fits well over the uniform. Just my 2cents.

Broncbuster
01-05-2011, 16:43
just noticed we posted baically the same thing at the same time--lol.

RMTactical
01-05-2011, 17:00
Well maybe I am not the one to ask since most LEOs I come across are looking for a sling but in my experience most LEOs use a sling. I know that the FBI requires that all long guns have a sling too. No doubt it is an essential tool for all LEOs. Like someone stated already, its like a holster for your rifle but it is also much more. It helps with weapon retention when a criminal may be seeking to disarm the officer.

Alaskapopo
01-05-2011, 23:01

I require slings on all department guns and on personally owned guns used on duty. (rifles)
Pat

Goldendog Redux
01-05-2011, 23:34
The Colts in the armory for officers to check out for the day have basic slings. Any officer that goes to a call where a gun is mentioned and does not take a rifle is an idiot. I respond to people shooting (legally) all the time and you are damn straight I take my M4 and they know I have it. It is usually a pleasant citizen contact. Most of the time my M4 is charged and on my lap before I get there. Mine has a Vickers sling which is a great patrol sling IMHO.

MF

boomhower
01-06-2011, 05:57
Most of our guys do. We don't have mounts so they live in the truck where a sling getting caught is not an issue.

txleapd
01-06-2011, 07:32
I know that all of our department rifles have slings, and I'm pretty sure all personally owned rifles are required to have one. I've never seen one without a sling.

K. Foster
01-06-2011, 07:59
I’ve heard various reasons for not using them. Everything from “They get hung up in the car.” to “My dept didn’t issue me one.” None of the reasons are valid.
We have a lot of agencies train and qualify at our range. I require everyone to use some type of sling, even if it’s just a length of 550 cord. That way, it keeps everyone’s muzzle in a safe direction. I know a couple of ‘switched on’ county deputies that wear a single point all the time. If they need their rifle, they just clip it on.

Agent6-3/8
01-06-2011, 08:01
Sling on mine. IMO, a single point sling is a must.