Springfield's RO- All hype? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield's RO- All hype?

thatguybryan
01-05-2011, 10:32
First off, let me start by saying I'm not a 1911 expert by any means. In fact, quite the opposite is true; I'm looking into purchasing my first one here soon. I know I'm going to get a lot of negative feedback here soon :whistling: but here goes.

I've looked at a lot of different 1911's over the last few months (some of every major manufacturer) and I have shot quite a few.

I handled 2 RO's on Sunday and I have to say that I did not notice a difference in slide to frame fit between it and the NM loaded model. I haven't shot an RO (yet), but I think a lot of the hype surrounding the RO is just that-hype. Springfield put "budget TRP" in everyone's head and I think that it has fooled a lot of people.

Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe because I'm new to 1911's, but I have yet to see solid proof of the RO being any better than a loaded model. :dunno:

bobtail1911
01-05-2011, 10:35
Slide to frame fit is not an indication of whether or not a gun is going to be reliable or accurate. Almost all higher end guns have a very good slide to frame fit but that alone is not what makes a gun "good", however you might want to define that.

Big_Grumpy
01-05-2011, 10:57
I'm not sure what you mean by "hype", but if you look at it's features compared to similaly equipped 1911's, the price tag is really good. The only turn off to some seems to be the target sights and the parkerized finish.

You get a hand fit stainless match grade barrel, a forged frame and slide, adjustable aluminum trigger, beveled mag well, quality fit and finish, neat cocobolo grips, 3 mags, it's assembled stateside, and it's good to go out of the box. Springfield customer service (should you need it) is alleged to be excellent. Lifetime warranty.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/1911RO/1911RangeOfficer.htm

If it ain't your bag, and you think it's all "hype", that's your perogative.

MD357
01-05-2011, 11:18
First off, let me start by saying I'm not a 1911 expert by any means. In fact, quite the opposite is true; I'm looking into purchasing my first one here soon. I know I'm going to get a lot of negative feedback here soon :whistling: but here goes.

I've looked at a lot of different 1911's over the last few months (some of every major manufacturer) and I have shot quite a few.

I handled 2 RO's on Sunday and I have to say that I did not notice a difference in slide to frame fit between it and the NM loaded model. I haven't shot an RO (yet), but I think a lot of the hype surrounding the RO is just that-hype. Springfield put "budget TRP" in everyone's head and I think that it has fooled a lot of people.

Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe because I'm new to 1911's, but I have yet to see solid proof of the RO being any better than a loaded model. :dunno:

I think you're spot on. It makes no sense that these would be any better or worse than a loaded model. From everything I've seen they are equal. That being said, I think they are very competitive to 1911s set up in a similar fashion.

asiparks
01-05-2011, 11:27
Bobtail pretty much covered it, slide to frame fit is "meh" in terms of defining a good, reliable, accurate 1911. Because it's something that can be easily seen or felt, it's managed to become lodged in peoples brains as a way to distinguish "good fit" and "quality". Likewise the "wrench-to-turn-bushing". All that tells you is it's wedged into the slide, it's not a way to tell an accurate gun from a lousy barn door misser.

If they did a fixed sight version of the RO at around the same price point, it would likely do rather well....

thatguybryan
01-05-2011, 16:34
This is a message I received in response to my thread asking for opinions on 1911's under $800:

"Bryan, I saw that you were looking for a new 1911. I usually don't offer much advice here on the forum as I am new to 1911s (but not to pistols), but brother...I had to say something! I just picked up a Springfield Loaded, and it has to be the best gun for the money hands down. The fit is SUPERB! Tight slide to frame placement, titanium firing pin, aluminum vented trigger, commander style hammer, and just an all around well made gun. You WILL NOT regret getting a Springer Loaded. I am so satisfied with mine that I just had to say something!"

When I tinkered with my friend's 1911 LW loaded model, I basically had the same reaction as the guy who sent me that PM (thanks brendan)

After reading all the threads on every forum about the "holy grail of budget 1911's", I had to see for myself, and I must say I was rather disappointed.

I know that slide to frame fit is not an indication of much, but that is what many people are using as their basis for this comparison. I've read so many responses about how "tight" this gun is, but I don't believe this to be true at all.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the company or the gun, it's just that for all the praise towards the RO it was less than amazing. I realize I'd have to shoot one to get a full opinion, but I just don't think I (or most people) would ever be able to say for sure which is better without doing some serious testing.

The reason why I brought this up is not because people are saying good things about the RO; it's more because so many bad mouth the loaded model. I don't get it. The loaded model (IMO) is just as good (if not better) of a gun than the RO, for around the same price. And it comes with night sights.

If you were to add NS to the RO, it'd be a loaded with a few minor changes. That's my current opinion on it anyway; it's a loaded target minus a few options and plus a magazine.

Springfield makes a great 1911, and the RO is no exception, but I wouldn't dare call it better than a loaded, until we start seeing some solid proof.

I just wish someone would take both guns, a benchrest, and a 25 yard target and post some results.

Officer's Match
01-05-2011, 17:32
I'd be a lot more interested in looking for tell tale signs of a hard fit barrel in the lugs and link area. Perhaps I need to revisit the Loaded line, as in the past I've found them to be nothing special fit-wise.

Big_Grumpy
01-05-2011, 17:49
Sorry, I kind of misunderstood your initial post a bit.

I see where you're coming from, and I bet they're pretty much the same gun internally. Don't know though.

Springfield's advertising leads you to believe that the Range Officer is supposed to be TRP accurate by saying, "It is built with the same quality as the TRP and Trophy Match models, but Springfield has removed the "extras" that result in higher price."

If that's the case, it could be implied that a RO should shoot groups like a TRP.

So... I guess the question is... Does a TRP shoot better groups than a Loaded?

Officer's Match
01-05-2011, 17:52
Sorry, I kind of misunderstood your initial post a bit.

I see where you're coming from, and I bet they're pretty much the same gun internally. Don't know though.

Springfield's advertising leads you to believe that the Range Officer is supposed to be TRP accurate by saying, "It is built with the same quality as the TRP and Trophy Match models, but Springfield has removed the "extras" that result in higher price."

If that's the case, it could be implied that a RO should shoot groups like a TRP.

So... I guess the question is... Does a TRP shoot better groups than a Loaded?

It does in my experience. I think Loaded's use two piece barrels, at least last I checked (admittedly a good while ago).

samuse
01-05-2011, 18:26
It seems that there is a rash of good guns coming from Springfield lately.

Up until this past year, I pretty much assumed that any S.A. less than a TRP was gonna be a clunker in the looks and accuracy dept. I saw a lot of G.I.s, Mil-Specs and Loadeds that wouldn't make good base guns.

People who just started lookin at 1911s have skewed view on reality or they don't know what they're lookin' at.

The R.O. has the potential to be a nice gun or a POS, just depends on the luck of the draw.

Big_Grumpy
01-05-2011, 19:12
I suppose you could say that about just about any mass produced gun, or pretty much anything that's mass produced. You see reports good and bad about any manufacturer.

I'm "skewed" being new to the game myself, but I did my research for a few months before I made my decision. The majority of reports I read and heard indicated that Springfield is a fine 1911 manufacturer. It also made sense to me since they've also been in the game a while.

I've handled and shot a few different makers in the price range I was looking at though. I whittled down my wants and needs, and made my final decision.

If we're just talking about what's the best model value from Springfield, I feel that's comparable. When you throw in opinions about different manufacturers and models that fall in the same price range into the mix, doesn't it become a bit subjective? The little differences in each offering of the 1911 is crazy. I never would have thought such things mattered... FCS or no, beavertail, bobbed... etc... I decided upon what I thought to be the best all around value that fit the criteria I was looking for.

If I had money comin' outta my arse the choice'd be simpler!

But hey, if it's a POS, I'll move on.

Shortimer
01-05-2011, 19:27
I haven't really noticed most people bashing the loaded vrs the RO. I can only speak for the RO, as I own one. Personal opinion is that it is very accurate & has been 100% reliable including the 100 rds I sent down range this afternoon. I'm not a 1911 guru but I do know quality. For a production 1911 in the $700.00 range I think that its a good value. I'm sure their are things on other 1911s you can find more to your taste.

rsxr22
01-05-2011, 19:31
From what I have seen, I havent noticed anything better than the Loaded. So far the only SA's I've liked have been the Operators, TM, TRP, EMP, and Pro. I havent received my TGO-1 from Quack yet, but im sure ill love that as well

glock2740
01-05-2011, 19:35
I think you're spot on. It makes no sense that these would be any better or worse than a loaded model. From everything I've seen they are equal. That being said, I think they are very competitive to 1911s set up in a similar fashion.
Ditto.

bac1023
01-05-2011, 20:11
I have to say that I was more impressed with the RO I handled than I've been with the dozen or so Loaded models I looked at.

Granted, I don't own either and I only handled one RO.

I'm not a fan of the Loaded at all.

simulatedjim
01-05-2011, 21:00
I haven't handled a RO yet but their are definitely good and bad loaded models being made.

gocubs6
01-05-2011, 21:12

They are selling for the same price as a loaded around here. So, I don't think it is necessarily "better" than a Loaded. Just different. Many don't like the loaded because of the front cocking serrations and the deep rear cut serrations. The RO is basically and upgraded Mil Spec at a fraction of what it would cost anyone to do.

Big_Grumpy
01-05-2011, 21:23
I saw a post from Quack while searching around, and what he said made sense about manufacturing costs. It's allegedly give and take for Springfield for this model. The milling of extra external features vs. internal fitting. (TM, TRP, & Loaded vs. RO) But it is a bit of a leap of faith so far for the consumer right now as the RO is new(er), and advertising claims are high.

I just wish someone would take both guns, a benchrest, and a 25 yard target and post some results.
Like the OP said, I'd like to see a bench test, TRP vs. RO.

I took the leap and figured I couldn't go wrong. The RO seems like a really nice piece.

spartan985
01-05-2011, 21:48
I will let you know soon because I went out and purchased one tonight.

glock2740
01-05-2011, 21:49
The RO is no closer to the TRP than the Loaded. And that's a pretty good ways. Nice gun for it's price point, but, it ain't no TRP.

Hokie1911
01-05-2011, 21:54
The RO is no closer to the TRP than the Loaded. And that's a pretty good ways. Nice gun for it's price point, but, it ain't no TRP.

Well, why would you expect a TRP for $600 less than a TRP from the same company that makes the TRP?

Sort of like those guys that b1tch about everything their $500 1911 isn't. What do you expect for $500. Hello...if you want a TRP.....buy a TRP. :wavey:

Patrick R
01-06-2011, 00:27
I havent received my TGO-1 from Quack yet, but im sure ill love that as well[/QUOTE]

Bobby,

When you get your TGO bring lots of ammo. (Pull that handel another hour or 2.)

I'm wanting to shoot it alot. :wavey: And I have the indoor range!

B&B's ROs I looked at close are pretty good. Not as good as my TRP but at $600.00 less bucks still pretty good. A good 1911 model for the price point.

Springers prices have jumped a bit. With the goverments devalue of the dollar everything is more expensive.

Life is wonderfull, no?

asiparks
01-06-2011, 00:39
so, you guys saying that the RO looks better/worse than a Loaded or TRP, you guys are taking these guns apart then, checking the barrel feet for fitting and engagement on the slide stop pin, looking for a relief cut in the VIS, making sure the barrel lugs are properly cut and matched to the slide, mic'ing bushing fit etc ? Comparing sear noses and hammer hooks ?
Because you wouldn't just be holding them and saying; "yeah, but this ones better because it's got night sights...":whistling:

silversport
01-06-2011, 05:50
I wonder if this is the difference in the NM marked and Illinois finished pistols vs the N marked and Brazi finished pistols...are all the RO's NM marked???

It seems that the NM marked Mil-Specs and Loadeds get higher praise (but I don't know if it is totally true) but I do remember ordering a Mil spec with a buddy in 2005 and when each our pistols arrived, mine was NM marked and his was N marked...mine showed a different front sight profile, slightly lighter colored and smoother matte on the top of the slide and better finishing inside...as for shooting, they appeared to be equally reliable...

Bill

Officer's Match
01-06-2011, 06:07
so, you guys saying that the RO looks better/worse than a Loaded or TRP, you guys are taking these guns apart then, checking the barrel feet for fitting and engagement on the slide stop pin, looking for a relief cut in the VIS, making sure the barrel lugs are properly cut and matched to the slide, mic'ing bushing fit etc ? Comparing sear noses and hammer hooks ?
Because you wouldn't just be holding them and saying; "yeah, but this ones better because it's got night sights...":whistling:

An expanded and more explicit version of what I was saying earlier in the thread.

samuse
01-06-2011, 20:02

No, they're checking slide to frame fit and seeing what's Tactical and/or extended.:tongueout:

Hokie1911
01-06-2011, 20:05
No, they're checking slide to frame fit and seeing what's Tactical and/or extended.:tongueout:

Dude, if the RO had TACTICAL stamped on the dustcover....they would FLY off the shelves. :supergrin:

bac1023
01-06-2011, 20:54
Dude, if the RO had TACTICAL stamped on the dustcover....they would FLY off the shelves. :supergrin:

:rofl:

Cobra64
01-06-2011, 20:57

No doubt. Imagine if it were stamped...
O P E R A T O R

Hokie1911
01-06-2011, 21:23
...or TACTICAL OPERATOR. :tongueout:

Big_Grumpy
01-06-2011, 21:54
I'm thinking a simple rail... but hey we can go mall ninja, too!!

At least it doesn't have night sight sights, either...

It's as advertised, and meant for target use, really.

TSAX
01-07-2011, 02:29
I'm not sure what you mean by "hype", but if you look at it's features compared to similaly equipped 1911's, the price tag is really good. The only turn off to some seems to be the target sights and the parkerized finish.

You get a hand fit stainless match grade barrel, a forged frame and slide, adjustable aluminum trigger, beveled mag well, quality fit and finish, neat cocobolo grips, 3 mags, it's assembled stateside, and it's good to go out of the box. Springfield customer service (should you need it) is alleged to be excellent. Lifetime warranty.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/1911RO/1911RangeOfficer.htm

If it ain't your bag, and you think it's all "hype", that's your perogative.

Springfield does have excellent service and the sights can always be swapped out. For under $800 its not a bad deal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=209988196

BEER
01-07-2011, 22:49
First off, let me start by saying I'm not a 1911 expert by any means. In fact, quite the opposite is true:

honestly, you should have started and stopped there.

Hokie1911
01-07-2011, 22:52
honestly, you should have started and stopped there.

WINNER. :thumbsup: