Defensive Ammo & The Springfield 1911-A1 G.I.? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Ammo & The Springfield 1911-A1 G.I.?

Michigun
01-05-2011, 09:35
Ok guys… I just picked me up a hardly used 5” Springfield 1911-A1 ‘mil-spec’ G.I…. so what is the general consensus on my choices for 45acp defensive ammo for this bad boy…

Stick with ‘ball’ 230-grain FMJ?

… OR …

Is there a good option for an HP round that feeds well in one of these non-ramped G.I. guns?

Someone gave me a box of Federal’s 165-grain (EFMJ) Expanding Full Metal Jackets, but their flat nose is no better then the box of Winchester 230-grain Ranger-T’s I have laying around as well…(not sure how the EFMJ’s perform?)

How about Corbon’s 165-grain Pow-R-Ball ammo? (not sure how the these perform?) They sure would feed as well as ‘ball’ ammo…

Just looking for some input… thanks!

P.S. The original owner of my new-to-me G.I. had the slide milled out & a good set of sights installed, which is a HUGE plus! (Next on the list is to figure out a DIY grip safety ‘bump’ for this Spring’er…J.B. Weld?)

knedrgr
01-05-2011, 11:56
:needspics:

fuzzy03cls
01-05-2011, 12:11
?? Mine has a feed ramp? 06 manufacture. I feed it 230gr +P or non +P Gold Dots. Never had a problem with this ammo.

ctfireman
01-05-2011, 12:12
Powrball for me.

Michigun
01-05-2011, 14:20
:needspics:

Soon sir, soon! :cool:

?? Mine has a feed ramp?

Not mine... just the chamfer.

Powrball for me.

Reason?

GJ1981
01-05-2011, 14:24
Golden Sabers are pretty good for feeding in picky pistols. They have a more rounded nose then some of the more modern loads.

The big problem with them is they tend to have a very high muzzle flash in low light, or at least did. They may have changed powders, but I wouldn't know since I use Gold Dots or Ranger-T's.

Cerebrus
01-05-2011, 15:18
I like Hornady TAP ammo. It is 230gr of +p goodness. I have yet to have any feeding problems in either of my 1911's using it.

Michigun
01-05-2011, 15:32
...I wouldn't know since I use Gold Dots or Ranger-T's.

If this G.I. had a feed-ramp I'd be ALL OVER either of those loads... from experience YEARS ago now with another Springfield 1911-A1 I do know that I'll be keeping away from the Gold Dots... they were reliable 90% of the time but would hang up the other 10%... Gold Dots have a pretty aggressive HP design! (Love'em with any other pistol!)

Now, the Ranger-T's HP design isn't too extreme so I'm planning to try a box of those out in my Springer. (Just because I have'em already.)

I like Hornady TAP ammo. It is 230gr of +p goodness. I have yet to have any feeding problems in either of my 1911's using it.

Yes, but do your 1911's have feed-ramps?

Michigun
01-05-2011, 15:32
How about the newer Hornady Critical Defense 185-grain FTX load? It's profile is VERY close to a FMJ...

Cerebrus
01-05-2011, 15:34
Yes, but do your 1911's have feed-ramps?

Just the officer sized Kimber.. my SA Loaded eats it just fine without a ramped barrel

woodrowNC
01-06-2011, 11:58
i don't know if he's changed his opinion but a few yrs back clint smith said he didn't even bother with hollowpoints. that big ol ball was enough. said he didn't want any chances of a failure. i imagine he knows more about it than we do.

Michigun
01-06-2011, 12:24
Well... the Winchester Ranger-T's are out... I had 2 failures to feed in 50-rounds...

Federal's EFMJ did good... but that was only a 20-round test...

I went ahead & grabbed a box of Hornady's Critical Defense 185-grain FTX's... they did great as well... but that was only a 20-round test as well... however, with their profile I don't see having a problem with these...

... clint smith said he didn't even bother with hollowpoints. that big ol ball was enough.

Which has been what I have been thinking as well...

... looks like it'll either be 'ball' or the Hornady Critical Defense 185-grain FTX's for this G.I.!

GJ1981
01-06-2011, 12:34
If this G.I. had a feed-ramp I'd be ALL OVER either of those loads

I have to say you're making me think too hard. You're pistol should have a feed ramp, are you meaning your barrel isn't throated?

Dr. Strangelove
01-06-2011, 13:02
It's my understanding that there are two ways to do a feed ramp on a 1911.

http://38super.net/Extra%20Figures/feed-ramps.jpg

I believe having the ramped barrel isn't necessarily essential to getting HPs to load properly, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. I just use 230 grain ball ammo, so I'll just sit by and let someone with some more experience post their thoughts. :dunno:

tango44
01-06-2011, 13:07
Ball ammo for mine and no problems at all!

GJ1981
01-06-2011, 13:20
]

I believe having the ramped barrel isn't necessarily essential to getting HPs to load properly

Yep, I've had more issues with ramped barrels than standard GI's. A ramped barrel is more for aluminum frames and higher pressure rounds.

I think the OP is talking about the barrels throat, which would cause issues for feeding HP ammo.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/gallery/data/500/barrel.jpg

woodrowNC
01-06-2011, 16:06
Yep, I've had more issues with ramped barrels than standard GI's. A ramped barrel is more for aluminum frames and higher pressure rounds.

I think the OP is talking about the barrels throat, which would cause issues for feeding HP ammo.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/gallery/data/500/barrel.jpg
if i'm not mistaken thats colts new barrel on the right with the 6oclock undercut. i've got a 3 in new agent that i simply can't make choke on anything. good idea.

fuzzy03cls
01-06-2011, 18:52
So what do i got? It got it used & it looks like it was messed with. The trigger feels pretty good & has someones initials engraved inside the slide.
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab352/fuzzytheman/Guns/Picture004.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab352/fuzzytheman/Guns/Picture002.jpg

woodrowNC
01-06-2011, 19:01
So what do i got? It got it used & it looks like it was messed with. The trigger feels pretty good & has someones initials engraved inside the slide.

conventional feed ramped barrel. and that little .03,.04 gap between the barrel throat and feed ramp is very important.

The_Drizzle
01-06-2011, 22:43
I have an '09 GI. I put in a 18.5# recoil spring and have yet to find ammo that won't feed.

I usually keep it full of Winchester Ranger.

ETA: Pics!!!

Dr. Strangelove
01-07-2011, 11:36

Lets see some pics of the initials... Now I'm curious.

woodrowNC
01-07-2011, 13:07
Golden Sabers are pretty good for feeding in picky pistols. They have a more rounded nose then some of the more modern loads.

The big problem with them is they tend to have a very high muzzle flash in low light, or at least did. They may have changed powders, but I wouldn't know since I use Gold Dots or Ranger-T's.

remington hp's have always been that way. their ogive was always a little more rounded. if ever i had trouble feeding hp's, i'd try rems and problem solved. but to be perfectly honest now, i want hesitate to carry ball in a heartbeat. big hole, big shock, big blood loss. probably not optimum, but close. 3 of em anyway.

nastytrigger
01-07-2011, 18:00
Lets see some pics of the initials... Now I'm curious.

I'm curious too. I just took apart my SA Loaded because I remembered seeing some letters/numbers. Mine just has "124" scratched in; looks like a first grader did it... The letters are "U J S [space] DA". I'm sure they mean something in Brazil/Geneseo, but :dunno:

silversport
01-08-2011, 05:29
do the numbers co-witness to your serial number in any way???...the initials may be from who worked on it...

Bill

Jim S.
01-08-2011, 08:12
Without really reading all of the replies given to your question I would advise you go out and shoot different brands of good quality ammunition and see for yourself what works in your gun and what doesn't.
Never carry ammunition in a 1911 that you haven't proved to be reliable.
Otherwise stick with a good brand of FMJ and you can't go wrong.

ambluemax
01-08-2011, 08:54
Mine has shot every HP I've fed it. Not that I've tested a bunch, but enough that I've carried it for a summer. Generally speaking any quality HP should work. Pick out one that you like, take 100rds of it to the range and see what happens. I trust quality factory ammo until it proves itself otherwise. Most guns feed most brands/loads, some have specific ones they don't like. You just have to break down and try some and see what happens.

SiberianErik
01-08-2011, 16:30
One thing as far as your new 1911. These are not Glocks that feed any brand and any weight. I have had to do some experimenting with various ammo to determine what works best with what mags.

In my GI, I use Chip McCormick Shooting Stars (8 rd). It likes those where it hates the so called goto mag of mags, the Wilson Combat 47D. It refuses to lock back after the last round with those.

As far as ammo , after much research, the GI does not any 185 gr loads in FMJ or HP. It will take any 230 gr ball or Hp though, it really likes the Ranger SXT RA45T the best. I have tons of that thru mine and not one issue. For target I use the Rem UMC 230 gr.

Again each 1911 is abit different in its likes and dislikes but one you nail it down you are golden.

Jim S.
01-09-2011, 08:59

It looks like the normal Springfield barrel and feed ramp.
Also they do have the bad habit of scratching (engraving would be nicer) numbers and initials in the slide.
I think that most of the time it is to keep the slide and frame together after fitting.
I usually will smooth the raised portions of their scrathes so that they don't cause any problems.
I have a Mil-Spec that had the scratched in numbers so deep that the raised edges scraped across the disconnector and marred it.
Crappy way of doing this but they are cheap guns.

Michigun
01-11-2011, 10:06
... I would advise you go out and shoot different brands of good quality ammunition and see for yourself what works in your gun and what doesn't. Never carry ammunition in a 1911 that you haven't proved to be reliable.

Thanks for the advice bro, but I’m not rookie here... been doing the whole ‘gun thing’ since I was a young boy. The gun picks the ammo for sure!

My original question was in regards to the ‘standard’ barreled 1911 being designed around/for ‘ball’ ammo, & whether or not one should even take a chance with HP ammo.

I would not have even brought this thread up if there hadn’t been several new HP designs since my last ‘standard’ barreled 1911 that I had YEARS ago now... ya know? (That Colt 1911-A1 I had years ago wasn’t 100% reliable (almost, but not good enough) with HP ammo & its ‘standard’ barrel... it did however run perfectly with ‘ball’ ammo!)

So... what I’ve decided to do is to just stick with a good quality ‘ball’ round for any defensive work that my new-to-me Springfield may see... HOWEVER, I’m probably going to do a bit more testing/reading on Hornady’s new Critical Defense 185-grain FTX's as it pretty much has a ‘ball’ profile & looks promising performance-wise... I’m gonna pass on Corbon’s Power’R’Ball ammo though as it looks to be lacking in the performance area... I don’t see any other type of HP design out there that looks worth testing even.

stukibuilt
01-11-2011, 10:50
I prefer standard corbon or double tap ammo, but I run powerball in my "picky guns" to avoid any potential feed issues. That said, I wouldn't keep rechambering them, or any SD ammo due to increasing cartridge pressure and reducing the OAL of the round... Best bet IMO is to buy a box of any ammo you think you might want to run, and see what goes without a hitch. Then buy at least 200 and make sure it is as reliable as the first box. There are many situations I would rather have FMJ ball, but I always saw it as a liability if you had to use the firearm in a public area. Critical Defense seems like a nice round from the ballistic tests I've seen, but I would wait for more info before I carried it and felt confident. Speer is pretty much standard for LEO around here, or the Rem Golden Sabers. I like the gold dots if I had to choose between the two. Good luck! Mil-specs are great guns.

Agent6-3/8
01-11-2011, 11:00
First of all, which do you have? The Mil-Spec with the high profile 3 dot sights, lowered and flared ejection port, etc or the G. I. with the small sights?

First thing to to is to give it a good wringing out with 230g FMJ. (3-500 rounds is a good test. After than, select a quality defensive round and function test with that. You need to shoot at least 6 or 8 mags of the defensive ammo before drawing any conclusions and If you can afford it, shoot more.

FWIW, if you're not going to run a quality JHP then I'd stick with FMJ. I don't trust lightweight "novelty rounds" like Corbon Powerball and Federal EFMJ, etc to have adquate penetration to get the job done.

Ruggles
01-11-2011, 14:14
Noting wrong with some good ole hardball if that is what is most reliable in your 1911. :)

Michigun
01-11-2011, 15:04
First of all, which do you have? The Mil-Spec with the high profile 3 dot sights, lowered and flared ejection port, etc or the G. I. with the small sights?

Well it was a G.I. with the small sights, but the original owner had the slide milled out to install better sights. (Main reason why I purchased this Springfield.)

stukibuilt
01-11-2011, 16:31
So mil-spec sights? Novaks?

Michigun
01-11-2011, 17:01
So mil-spec sights? Novaks?

Not Novaks... don't know the brand of sights they are but here's a crappy pic I just snapped of my Springfield as she sits as of 2 hours ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/a1.jpg

FYI, see this GT thread for more info on my DIY Memory Pad/Palm Swell:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16628904#post16628904

quantico
01-11-2011, 19:35
It really depends on your pistol and how well the ramp was done along with correct springs and mag and link pin length. I like hydra shock. Golden saber. Gold dot. Corbon hp as well. Generally I run 185. To 200 grain hp in+ p. You can try some ammo with a new magazine and polish up your. Feed ramp with some flitz metal polish and see how it goes.

Michigun
01-11-2011, 20:26
You can try some ammo with a new magazine and polish up your feed ramp with some flitz metal polish and see how it goes.

Polishing her up with my Flitz & Dremmal was the very 1st thing I did on this G.I.... I also got a good deal on one of Kimber's new 'Tac-Mags' that I've also tested out in this 1911...