Once I sign the enlistment papers, how long before I can go to BT? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Once I sign the enlistment papers, how long before I can go to BT?

Kona
01-05-2011, 12:38
Just as it says ^^.

JBnTX
01-05-2011, 16:04
After signing the active duty papers and taking the oath, you'll be on a plane that same day.

Signing into the delayed enlistment program could take from weeks to months, depending on
your job and how fast you want to go.

Jeff82
01-05-2011, 16:05
Ask your local recruiter.

JBarbaresi
01-05-2011, 23:15
After signing the active duty papers and taking the oath, you'll be on a plane that same day.

Signing into the delayed enlistment program could take from weeks to months, depending on
your job and how fast you want to go.

don't know if you're joking but this is complete misinformation.

if your recruiter is worth a grain of salt you will be able to pick your job while sitting in the recruiting station and will know your ship date before you even go to MEPS (processing station where you do the physical and all enlistment related stuff). ship dates are job dependent; infantry might have a date leaving in march but aviation mechanic is not leaving until may. everyone enlists into the delayed entry program, whether it be for the minimum which is 7 days, or the maximum which is 14 months and usually reserved for seniors in high school.

most jobs right now are shipping in the march/april time frame. i would also recommend going to a recruiting office to have all your questions answered, and if anything sounds "off" you can bounce it off of us here for verification.

JBnTX
01-06-2011, 09:23
don't know if you're joking but this is complete misinformation.

if your recruiter is worth a grain of salt you will be able to pick your job while sitting in the recruiting station and will know your ship date before you even go to MEPS (processing station where you do the physical and all enlistment related stuff). ship dates are job dependent; infantry might have a date leaving in march but aviation mechanic is not leaving until may. everyone enlists into the delayed entry program, whether it be for the minimum which is 7 days, or the maximum which is 14 months and usually reserved for seniors in high school.

most jobs right now are shipping in the march/april time frame. i would also recommend going to a recruiting office to have all your questions answered, and if anything sounds "off" you can bounce it off of us here for verification.

Everything you just said is exactly what I said, only I used a lot less words.

Are you joking?:tongueout:

JBarbaresi
01-06-2011, 09:53
Everything you just said is exactly what I said, only I used a lot less words.

Are you joking?:tongueout:

maybe i'm not reading your post right, but both comments you made were incorrect the way i understand them.

no one gets on a plane the same day they enlist. everyone is part of the delayed entry program, its not an option.

the way you worded it sounded to me like you have the choice to either leave on a plane for active duty the same day or enlist into the delayed entry program and wait a couple weeks to months. sorry if that's not how you intended it to sound.

JBnTX
01-06-2011, 10:03

no one gets on a plane the same day they enlist. everyone is part of the delayed entry program, its not an option.

The Delayed Enlistment Program and enlisting on active duty are two different things.
Everyone takes the oath of enlistment for each one.

Everything you said about the delayed enlistment program is correct.

But on that day when your delayed enlistment time period is up and you take the "real" enlistment oath
and enter on active duty, your butt will be on a plane headed to basic training that day.

That's what I meant by leaving the same day.

The OP doesn't specify exactly what he means by,
"Once I sign the enlistment papers, how long before I can go to BT?"

Does he mean the DEP or enlisting on active duty?

JBarbaresi
01-06-2011, 10:10
The Delayed Enlistment Program and enlisting on active duty are two different things.
Everyone takes the oath of enlistment for each one.

Everything you said about the delayed enlistment program is correct.

But on that day when your delayed enlistment time period is up and you take the "real" enlistment oath
and enter on active duty, your butt will be on a plane headed to basic training that day.

That's what I meant by leaving the same day.

i understand that, but i'm not sure that is what the OP was talking about by "signing enlistment papers". for all intents and purposes to someone looking at enlisting into the military, "enlistment" occurs when they sign a contract into the DEP, even though they are not 100% committed to anything until the day they ship and take the second oath of enlistment, like you said. i was trying to keep it simple and not confuse him. if i was confused by your first post, i'm sure he was as well. now that we have that cleared up...

robin303
01-09-2011, 21:59
I signed up and did the MEPS thing but had to wait 3 months for my BT because of the MOS I chose. That was back in 88.

robin303
01-09-2011, 22:03
By the way I went to every recruiting place in town and pretty much all of them got tired of seeing me just to make sure we were on the same sheet of music.

Darkangel1846
01-16-2011, 12:54
The first time I was on a bus in 5 days, the second time I had to wait until Feb. the following year(they had to check my Lic, reference, job history by the FBI)...1st enlisted, the second officer.

lxAsTrOxl
01-19-2011, 12:14
As others have mentioned all MOS dependent.

I signed my contract back in the first week of September and leave the second week of February. Time flys by way too fast. My MOS: 11X (infantry)

Huey148
02-10-2011, 15:00
war of semantics going on here...

Yes, you enlist into the USAR DEP, and yes you sign more papers the day you ship "officially" enlisting you into the active Army...

The question has already been answered..you ship based upon your MOS chosen and training slot available....

Todays recruiters at the stations have access to data that tells them what MOS's the Army needs and when they need them so they can reserve one when you talk to them the first day I believe...

BUT....Kona, if you are having some personal hardships and need to leave as soon as you can you can talk to the MEPS folks and they can see about possibly bumping somebody off of a earlier training cycle if possible..they can actually do a lot there that all requires just some communication on their part...talking to branch managers and such...you would be amazed how many duty station choices or Airborne options are "created" after a stubborn recruit says "nah, you don't got that, I guess I'll just leave instead of enlisting"...then comes the "uh, wait a sec....." from them..