quesion about handguard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : quesion about handguard

FireForged
01-05-2011, 16:00
Ok, I dont have a handguard removal tool for my bushmaster. I am confident that I can remove pull the retainer back far enough with a screwdriver and hand pressure but I have a question.

It is possible that the retainer tilt enough to bend the gastube? When I start to pull it back it kinda tilts then I stop. It doesnt seem to be pushing on the gastube but its hard to see.

If this is going to damage the gastube I will just order and dang tool so I can put equal pressure on boths sides. If it wont contact the tube, I will just put some muscle into it and pop this sucker off.

Ok I am sitn here with my rifle waiting on a response...... :wavey:

pag23
01-05-2011, 16:24
I recommend having a friend (or in my case, wife) help you with it. It is a little difficult at first on my Bushmaster especially with figuring out how the handguards go together (Sorry I am a AR-15 newbie).

Better than damaging a part.

trlcavscout
01-05-2011, 16:28
I dont think it would tilt enough to cause any damage. I have never had a problem caused by it. I dont have the tool so I do it by hand one side at a time on the tight ones.

zhix
01-06-2011, 13:00
Some are harder to pull off than others, but for me the the proper handguard removal tool was worthy investment at about $12.

cowboy1964
01-06-2011, 13:33
Use another person to help or just get the tool. The right tool makes life so much easier.

faawrenchbndr
01-06-2011, 13:40
Handguards are normally only hard to remove the first time.
If you buy the tool, it will sit in a box and never get used again.

Get a friend to help.
Muzzle down.
Butt against chest.
Pull up on delta ring.
Have second person remove handguards.