Lighter Spring for LWD G22 to G17 conversion?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lighter Spring for LWD G22 to G17 conversion??

ADK_40GLKr
01-05-2011, 15:53
JR
I just ordered a LWD 9mm conversion barrel for my G22. The purpose was to save $$ on ammo. WalMart has 115gr 9mm UMC cheap, but I read here that some 9's have trouble cycling 115 gr. ammo. So wouldn't a gun set up for .40 cal have even more trouble with light 9mm's?

The recoil spring on my G22 has "5579" embossed on the base of the plastic guide rod. It cycles my .40 UMC 180 grain ammo fine. (Throws the casings about 10 feet.) Will it be too heavy for 115 grain ammo in the conversion barrel? If so, what spring would you suggest? :dunno:

JR
01-05-2011, 16:49
About 1% of our 9mm conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of low powered 115 grain ammunition causing a Failure To Eject (FTE). A good example of ammunition that is “most likely to fail” is Winchester White Box (WWB). This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of. The fix to resolve this issue is quite simple:

1 Clean and lube your slide and barrel.

2 Shoot 1 mag to 1 box of good quality +P or +P+ ammunition through the barrel.

3 Try the FTF ammunition again. If it runs... great! If you experience more failures you will have a couple choices to make:

Fix A Reduce the recoil spring weight to 11 lbs. Cost is about $25 for stainless steel guide rod and reduced power spring.

Fix B Shoot 124 gr or a better quality 115 gr ammunition exclusively. The FTF 115 gr ammunition you are currently using is no longer a valid option.

What causes this problem? Several issues come into play.

1 The 40 slide and (40 conversion) barrel is thicker than any standard 9mm slide and barrel. This extra thickness equates to more weight. The combined extra weight taps the energy of the "weak 115 gr ammunition” to its complete demise. It simply lacks in power and fails to reliably eject the spent round.

2 Every once in awhile a Failure To Feed/Failure To Eject (FTF/FTE) is caused by a fit issue. We resolve fit issues by pumping +P or +P+ ammunition through the gun. This hot ammunition provides extra pressure and the pressure will positively align any and all components. Once they are all aligned there is no longer a fit issue. The FTF/FTE is usually resolved.

FYI: Several manufactures are currently producing low powered 115 gr 9mm loads. This ammunition is also known to produce failures in all standard model Glock 9mm pistols.
FYI#2: The G22 factory spring weight is 17 lbs. This is the same guide rod used in the G17.

ADK_40GLKr
01-05-2011, 17:16
Thanks JR. I bought a small box of 115 gr Winchester FMJ to try in it when the barrel arrives. I guess if anything's going to fail, that ammo will?

Is there any problem keeping the G22 ejector?

JR
01-05-2011, 17:20
Dont change anything. Drop the barrel in and load up a G17 9mm magazine. Take it for a ride and let us know what you think?

ADK_40GLKr
01-05-2011, 20:33
Will do, JR. The barrels are backordered 'til the end of January and the mags will be coming at the same time.

I'll give it a try and submit a range report.

Thanks again.

ADK_40GLKr
02-07-2011, 21:14
JR
By way of follow up, I ended up getting the G35-9 conversion barrel for my G22, and took it to the range today. It looks a little funny, but shoots well.

No malfunctions with 2 mags of 115 gr WWB OR a box of 147 gr Fiocci, but ejects were hitting me in the face and arm.

I posted to you a range report earlier today, but didn't mention this thread.

Do you think a lighter spring is called for?

JR
02-08-2011, 23:29
The FTF affects 1% of the conversion barrels. Yours is good to go, dont change anything.
BTW: Dont fix what aint broke