chromed BCG [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : chromed BCG

RMTactical
01-05-2011, 17:54
For a long time there was talk about chromed BCGs being bad. Particularly because the bolt can be susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement. However my understanding is that if the chroming process is done properly this is not an issue.

Is anyone running a chromed BCG or even just a chromed bolt here?

tyger006
01-05-2011, 20:40
Tagged

CatsMeow
01-05-2011, 20:48
I used to have a Young Manufacturing National Match auto BCG. No problems whatsoever, and it's very easy to clean. Carrier key was already staked.

Hokie2000
01-05-2011, 21:02
I just ordered a Spikes Tactical chrome bcg from AIM Surplus today. I was on the fence on getting one but it was only $45 more (free shipping for the bcg) than the DD bcg and I wasn't ready to spend $225 for the nickel boron coated one. I'm planning on using it for my MK18 Mod1 build and I'm going to see if it will be easier to clean especially since I'm planning on getting a can for it.

AK_Stick
01-05-2011, 21:25
I have young BC's in a couple of my AR's. They work as well as the rest, and clean easily.

RMTactical
01-06-2011, 01:07
I just ordered a Spikes Tactical chrome bcg from AIM Surplus today. I was on the fence on getting one but it was only $45 more (free shipping for the bcg) than the DD bcg and I wasn't ready to spend $225 for the nickel boron coated one. I'm planning on using it for my MK18 Mod1 build and I'm going to see if it will be easier to clean especially since I'm planning on getting a can for it.

Funny you mentioned that. I ordered a Nickel Boron BCG from AIM for a new upper I have being shipped to me. I am eager to see what the hype is all about and it got me thinking about chromed BCG's.

boomhower
01-06-2011, 06:56
Easier to clean but other than that your not really gaining anything, or losing for that matter. I'm going whole hog and doing NiB as well. I hate the Spikes logo so I'm going with FZ.

Broncovan
01-06-2011, 20:36
Picked up a NiB bcg this summer. I've only shot about 400 rounds through it so far. No lube, runs great. Haven't bothered cleaning it yet, doesn't look like it needs it. Definitely worth the $$ IMHO.

durian00
01-07-2011, 04:45
First AR had a chrome carrier, over 2K rounds through it without issue. Bolt is fine.

Carrier cleans up really well and faster than my other carriers.

faawrenchbndr
01-07-2011, 05:49
Easier cleaning,......but a standard carrier group is very easy to clean.
The chrome BCG is not worth the added funds IMO.

MAJINKONG
01-07-2011, 19:27
O.T... Will chroming destroy the milspec finish (and the chrome lined inside carrier) of the BCG Or will just coat the original finish?