Shopping for my first AR? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for my first AR?

J. Parker
01-06-2011, 18:50
I've owned a bunch of guns but never an AR. My son-in-law picked up a new Bushmaster a few weeks ago and he's really happy with it. I would like to spend less than $900 or so. What would be a solid, reliable first AR-15?

~Thanks folks

Braden
01-06-2011, 18:53
This page has a lot of good information.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

Scroll down to the spreadsheet. Generally speaking, the farther to the left a gun is listed on the spreadsheet the better it is. You can read descriptions of all the features at the top and decide what's important to you and what isn't.

K. Foster
01-06-2011, 18:59
First, what do you intend to do with it? Personal defense, competition, range toy?
I recommend you take some time and research this. Read all the relevant threads here and on other forums. Look at the chart by Rob S and look at the features listed. When you have an understanding of what those features are and how they will or will not affect your use requirements, then you can make an informed decision.
While it may sound simple to just ask what’s a good brand? If you do your own research, you won’t have to worry about some 14 year old key board commando telling you “I’ve been a SWAT cop for 18 years and I only use DPMS ‘cause they’re the best!”

RMTactical
01-06-2011, 19:16
If your primary concerns are reliability and price get a BCM upper on a quality complete lower such as a Stag or spikes tactical.

THELimey
01-06-2011, 19:17
I've owned a bunch of guns but never an AR. My son-in-law picked up a new Bushmaster a few weeks ago and he's really happy with it. I would like to spend less than $900 or so. What would be a solid, reliable first AR-15?

~Thanks folks

John....my first choice is COLT,LMT or BCM or Daniel Defence or Noveske. I would then look at the next level including RRA, Bushmaster, Armalite and DPMS. Below that are many many choices.

I would recommend you build your own. Its easy and you will save a few bucks if you are not afraid of owning a "frankengun":supergrin:

NeverMore1701
01-06-2011, 19:28
If your primary concerns are reliability and price get a BCM upper on a quality complete lower such as a Stag or spikes tactical.

Can't disagree there.

farmer2
01-06-2011, 20:28
BCM or Daniel Defense. For 900 bucks you can get a midlength and have the best. A Rock river, stag or bushmaster will cost the same, but be half the gun. Obviously a colt would be a good choice as well, but it will cost you $1100. Parker you have sold and traded a lot of guns on this board, I know you can pick an excellent firearm....don't settle.