Convert or buy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Convert or buy?

trlcavscout
01-06-2011, 19:26
I have had this "thing" for a 14.5 middy. I cant decide what I should do though, should I just buy the barrel and tube and convert my 6920 or should I trade/sell my upper and get a BCM? I dont like mixing and matching on good guns but I cant afford to build/buy a complete upper. I know the difference and the difference wont make a difference at the distances I shoot, but I will build a rifle length one of these days.

NeverMore1701
01-06-2011, 19:29
I'd sell the whole Colt and buy a whole BCM. Shouldn't lose any money. Barring that, sell the Colt upper and get a BCM upper.

Bushflyr
01-06-2011, 20:25
Shoot the Colt and save your pennies. Skip the Starbucks and pack a lunch and you'll be able to afford a whole upper in no time flat. Then repeat and you'll be able to put a lower under it in a month.

If your 6920 shoots well you'll always regret it if you sell.

trlcavscout
01-06-2011, 20:29
Shoot the Colt and save your pennies. Skip the Starbucks and pack a lunch and you'll be able to afford a whole upper in no time flat. Then repeat and you'll be able to put a lower under it in a month.

If your 6920 shoots well you'll always regret it if you sell.

I am not a Colt guy anyways. It does shoot good though. I have no need for 2 AR's and my next projects are shotguns for me and the wife.

GAFinch
01-06-2011, 20:40
The 14.5" has a welded flash suppressor. You have to remove the flash suppressor during installation, so, therefore, the barrel alone is an NFA item.

Bushflyr
01-06-2011, 21:27
The 14.5" has a welded flash suppressor. You have to remove the flash suppressor during installation, so, therefore, the barrel alone is an NFA item.

Dude, :upeyes:. Please don't post retarded drivel like this when you have no idea what you're talking about.

TedG
01-06-2011, 21:33
A BCM upper is $385 and it is a quality hunk of metal. Like it was said earlier, save some more coin and do it right. Get the BCG too.

Glockdude1
01-06-2011, 21:41

You can buy a entire tractor trailer full of 14" M4 barrels, perfectly legal. No NFA paperwork needed.

If you decide to use any of the barrels, then a tax stamp would be needed.

:cool:

BBJones
01-06-2011, 23:01
You can buy a entire tractor trailer full of 14" M4 barrels, perfectly legal. No NFA paperwork needed.

If you decide to use any of the barrels, then a tax stamp would be needed.

Don't even need a tax stamp if a muzzle device of sufficient length is perma pinned.

Glockdude1
01-06-2011, 23:28
Don't even need a tax stamp if a muzzle device of sufficient length is perma pinned.

:agree:

Tax stamp only needed if barrel used was still 14" length, on a rifle.

AK_Stick
01-06-2011, 23:32

Only if it was installed, in an upper, on a non SBR' lower. Even then, its not as clear cut as you make it sound.

The ATF made the rules murky for a reason.

thisaway
01-07-2011, 18:40
IMHO, you should keep your 6920 upper and just pinch pennies until you can afford the BCM middy. The 6920 may have more resale value if it is complete.

mjkeat
01-07-2011, 18:58
If you spend $8 a day eating lunch at a fast food joint brown bagging it can save you $160 in a month. In 4 months you'll have $640. That'll buy your BCM upper w/ some left over.

GAFinch
01-07-2011, 21:25
Dude, :upeyes:. Please don't post retarded drivel like this when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Well, when I've thought about doing a 14.5" build a few months ago, both the BCM and Del-Ton websites said they were NFA items.

Bushflyr
01-07-2011, 22:16
Well, when I've thought about doing a 14.5" build a few months ago, both the BCM and Del-Ton websites said they were NFA items.

No, you should probably read a little closer. Could you show us where it states, as you say, that barrels are NFA items?

AFAICT Del-ton says nothing about NFA at all on the barrel pages, and on the upper pages they state, "SBR, M-16, or Pre Ban Pistol only!" Not taking into account the possibility of a perm'd FH.

BCM simply states, "NFA Rules Apply."

There's a rather significant difference between a "woman and child" and a "woman with child."

mjkeat
01-08-2011, 07:22
No, you should probably read a little closer. Could you show us where it states, as you say, that barrels are NFA items?

AFAICT Del-ton says nothing about NFA at all on the barrel pages, and on the upper pages they state, "SBR, M-16, or Pre Ban Pistol only!" Not taking into account the possibility of a perm'd FH.

BCM simply states, "NFA Rules Apply."

There's a rather significant difference between a "woman and child" and a "woman with child."

That would imply that w/o a perm muzzle device the barrel would be considered a NFA item when installed.

Bushflyr
01-08-2011, 08:22
A AR barrel is never considered the NFA item. (Unless integrally suppressed, but we're not talking cans here) A barrel, when less than 16", and installed on a rifle lower, then makes the rifle subject to NFA rules. Saying that the barrel is the NFA item implys that the barrel itself is subject to regulation which is flat wrong.

When dealing with the alphabet soup crew semantics matter and not knowing exactly what is legal, and worse, perpetuating incorrect interpretations, can get your tit in the wringer real quick. ;)

mjkeat
01-08-2011, 09:06
A AR barrel is never considered the NFA item. (Unless integrally suppressed, but we're not talking cans here) A barrel, when less than 16", and installed on a rifle lower, then makes the rifle subject to NFA rules. Saying that the barrel is the NFA item implys that the barrel itself is subject to regulation which is flat wrong.

When dealing with the alphabet soup crew semantics matter and not knowing exactly what is legal, and worse, perpetuating incorrect interpretations, can get your tit in the wringer real quick. ;)

It all boils down to the same thing once combined. No matter what part it is that makes it a NFA item, together it will get you in trouble.

If you want to try and pick apart others posts make sure yours dont have holes in them. You install a barrel onto the upper reciever not the lower.

Bushflyr
01-08-2011, 09:19
OK,:upeyes: when mated to an upper then installed on a lower. I figured most were smart enough to realize that an intermediate part was required. Should I mention the barrel nut also?

mjkeat
01-08-2011, 09:35
OK,:upeyes: when mated to an upper then installed on a lower. I figured most were smart enough to realize that an intermediate part was required. Should I mention the barrel nut also?

I could use the same excuse on my post in response to your alphabet soup crew comment. Like you said you must be specific when dealing with the alphabet soup crew, right?

Nothing personal against you.

To many guys going over to TOS and getting infected and bringing it back here.

GAFinch
01-09-2011, 13:59
So how would the OP go about converting his 16" AR to a 14.5" AR?

Glockdude1
01-09-2011, 14:19
So how would the OP go about converting his 16" AR to a 14.5" AR?

Simple.

14.5 barrel for a rifle, Fill out out approved Form 1, make out $200 check to the ATF, mail it in, receive Tax stamp, buy/install on lower receiver.

14.5 with 1.5" permanently attached flash hider: install on rifle, no tax stamp needed.