Installing ext. slide release - pin issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing ext. slide release - pin issue

505Gibbs
01-07-2011, 11:09
Hi JR - I have a new model 20 that I've tried to install an extended slide release on BUT I can't remove the pin with hand pressure and the appropriate size pin/punch.
I have the book and I've read and re-read a current thread on the subject as well as watching two You tube videos on the subject.
The pin doesn't want to budge even though I've wiggled it[the release] in the various directions suggested and even removing the upper small pin did nothing to alleviate/promote the pin movement.
I realize there's a groove in the pin that it rides in so I'm hesitant to use a small hammer and punch to try and start it because I'm afraid of 'capturing' the release in the groove as the pin moves[yes. I realize that's why they say to move it around for alignment]. Appreciate any suggestions since there's no way this pin is as 'free' as some would have you believe and maybe that is due to the amount of stack-up in the various parts making some more difficult to remove.
Thanks for your input.

JR
01-07-2011, 14:45
Try putting a little pressure on the trigger pin while you are moving the slide stop back and forth. Removing the LB pin will relieve a little pressure, sometimes this helps a little.

I have seen a few videos on the web (and for sale) where these guys whip out a hammer and drive the pin straight through. I never have tried that. I would be interested in checking the part for damage after witnessing such a move.

505Gibbs
01-09-2011, 13:18
Hi JR! I was finally successful by using a 3/32" punch that I put in my drill press and the lever handle provided just enough extra leverage to push the pin out far enough to remove and subsequesntly install the new extended slide stop[from Lone Wolf no less]. Took about 30 seconds!
So hopefully you can add that to your databank should the question be posed to you in the future.:phew:

JR
01-09-2011, 14:10
You shouldn’t need that extra leverage however.... what ever it takes. I recommend you inspect the part for damage. If none is present you are good to go.
BTW: New guns are often difficult to dissemble. The good news is: The more you take them down the easier it comes apart.

505Gibbs
01-09-2011, 14:38
You shouldn’t need that extra leverage however.... what ever it takes. I recommend you inspect the part for damage. If none is present you are good to go.
BTW: New guns are often difficult to dissemble. The good news is: The more you take them down the easier it comes apart.

There was no damage to the part removed! I moved the handle quite slowly trying to feel if I was meeting any resistance and I moved the old release back and forth as I was pressing down. Maybe I just got lucky but I knew I didn't want to force it.

JR
01-09-2011, 14:41
What ever it takes to get the job done