So, why not build off a Stag upper and lower reciver set? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So, why not build off a Stag upper and lower reciver set?

AFPD118
01-07-2011, 12:26
I own two Stags, this upper and lowers are well made and fit together so nicely.

Stag machines their own receivers, they make parts for others as well, so why is some other lower like Spikes, Aero Precision or CMMG etc for instance better than Stag?

Every review or article you read about Stag Arms says they pay attention to detail and make good parts.

Thanks for your valued input

faawrenchbndr
01-07-2011, 12:35
I'd use Stag receivers for builds.

KDawg0007
01-07-2011, 12:42
I found the only real difference with lowers is forged and billet milled, except for a few notorious manufacturers. Other than that it's just which roll mark you like the best. Stag should be a great foundation for a build. I like the M&P lowers.

AFPD118
01-07-2011, 12:53
ah yes, I had not thought of the roll mark.

faawrenchbndr
01-07-2011, 12:56
I tend to always use Stag lower parts kits.

mjkeat
01-07-2011, 13:33
I wouldnt think there would be a problem using their recievers.

MisterPX
01-07-2011, 16:26
Those companies you mentioned make quality receivers, and if they sell for a lower price, I'd buy one of them over a Stag. Think of it like this, 3 pretty much identical objects, one is $55, one is $48, and one is $52. Which owuld you buy?

AFPD118
01-07-2011, 16:44
Those companies you mentioned make quality receivers, and if they sell for a lower price, I'd buy one of them over a Stag. Think of it like this, 3 pretty much identical objects, one is $55, one is $48, and one is $52. Which owuld you buy?

good point

trlcavscout
01-07-2011, 18:49

The $55 one because obviously its better :supergrin:

NeverMore1701
01-07-2011, 19:15

Whichever has the least annoying rollmark, or cheapest shipping :supergrin:

surf
01-07-2011, 19:37
For many shooters who have a good understanding of a weapon and custom components within the weapon they may not care about who manufactures the lower receiver as long as it is quality material, built within proper spec with a good finish. Heck some don't even care about finish. Also as mentioned some might prefer the best looking roll marks, or how they are done. Of more importance is the quality of key or critical parts and how they were assembled to make the complete rifle.

However on the other side of things and another way to look at it, is if I use the following example....
I can build 2 exact same rifles, using the exact same parts with the intent to sell both of them. However I could use a lower produced by a mid level manufacturer on one rifle and I could use a lower from a manufacturer that is considered "high end" or "top tier on the other build. Mind you all of the other parts would be the same built by the same builder. I can tell you exactly which one I could sell for quite a bit more money. A good bit more money than the cost difference between the actual lowers themselves.

So for 2 receivers being basically equal in material and function, there is and there isn't a benefit to purchasing a certain maker over another. I will also say that even though a certain manufacturer produces parts for various companies, does not necessarily mean that they are all produced to the same specifications, with the same materials and with the same finish or quality of markings. So even though a certain "high end" rifle company may get parts from the same company making parts for another lower end company, the higher end company may call for a different process or may reject parts that another company may find acceptable.

KK40384
01-07-2011, 22:00
I used a Stag stripped lower for my build and the quality is good and mated well to a different brand upper.

ArmoryDoc
01-07-2011, 22:13
Stag makes good stuff. I have no problem with going with a Stag build.

RMTactical
01-07-2011, 22:19
A lot of stag parts are as good as anything out there.