Magpul quality question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magpul quality question

maverick9614
01-07-2011, 14:50
So I purchased the MIAD grip and was less than impressed. While it felt exceptionally solid, the fit and finish of the surfaces mating to the rifle left a lot to be desired.

I had to shave off small tags and sand places just to make it fit. It honestly looked like a cheap Chinese casting before going to finishing.

Is this standard for all Magpul polymer products or is this just a one-off?

Bushflyr
01-07-2011, 14:55
What lower were you putting it on? Magpul typically fits pretty well, but I've had to slightly modify the web area for some lowers.

faawrenchbndr
01-07-2011, 15:56
Wow,.......I've installed 8 or 10 MIAD grips, none were as you described.
All fit snug, no mods needed.

What receiver do you have?

Bushflyr
01-07-2011, 16:19
A couple of the billet ones. Don't recall which exactly, maybe POF.

maverick9614
01-07-2011, 16:40
It wasn't the receiver, it was left over pieces of plastic from the mold. There were little ears sticking out about 1/16" in several places that had to be trimmed and then sanded.

Honestly, it reminded me of putting models together where you pop plastic pieces out of one big sheet.

B.Reid
01-07-2011, 16:43
Sounds like you got the bad one. I have three AR's all have MagPul furniture, never saw anything like that.

mjkeat
01-07-2011, 17:34
I have a 4 ARs all with a surplus of Magpul items and all were great.

bowtie454
01-07-2011, 17:34
I've put them on three AR's. Two of them had the casting flash you are referring to. I was less than impressed with the finish of the grips when they arrived, but they function well and it didn't take much to clean them up.

crazymoose
01-07-2011, 17:37
They make pretty good stuff at a pretty good price. Even if you have to spend 3-5 minutes cleaning up molding lines with an x-acto knife, I still think it's a good value.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

BCSO
01-07-2011, 18:00
be careful where you buy your magpul stuff....there are peopleout there making cheap knock offs for airsoft.

that being said, all my magpul stuff has been great.

mjkeat
01-07-2011, 19:50
be careful where you buy your magpul stuff....there are peopleout there making cheap knock offs for airsoft.

that being said, all my magpul stuff has been great.

Forgot to mention the airsoft version. He could have recieved some of that.

surf
01-07-2011, 20:00
I was gonna say, does it say Made In China? Where did you purchase from? There are unscrupulous sellers who are hawking knock off stuff as the real deal. Not saying it isn't possible but I have yet to see one single genuine Magpul item come out of a box like has been described. And I open many boxes.

BBJones
01-07-2011, 21:20
Sounds like you got a cheap copy.

RMTactical
01-07-2011, 22:20
Magpul makes pretty good stuff. I am not a big fan of the MIAD personally, but most of their stuff is pretty good.

lawman800
01-08-2011, 00:21
I have a MIAD, didn't really like it but it went with the Magpul theme of the build. I prefer the Hogue grip myself but my MIAD was first quality.

Even their Magpul airsoft line is pretty solid stuff, albeit quite expensive for airsoft accessories. If it ain't good, they don't put their name on it. However, you might have received a knock off from China. They would do something like that and with the proliferation of airsoft, it just might happen.

RMTactical
01-08-2011, 03:02
Let's get a picture of this MIAD. Did it come in Magpul packaging. I'm not saying that this is not a chinese knockoff, but I haven't seen chinese knockoff magpul stuff... yet...

I really like Magpul, their stuff is quality, but they are not above making a mistake.

maverick9614
01-08-2011, 04:37
I believe it is genuine magpul and not some knock-off. It has the genuine logo and the packaging looks legit. How would I know it's airsoft product? The product installation instructions were for an AR.

I'm inclined to agree with bowtie454. Think I just got a rough one. I'm going to keep the thing regardless, and with the number of replies I get attesting to their quality I think i will go ahead with my Magpul themed build.

humanguerrilla
01-08-2011, 04:53
Magpul's licensed airsoft kit is Magpul PTS. If there is PTS on any Magpul product packaging don't buy it for a firearm. There are still some other copies but you'd think they come from foreign stores. My MIAD and MOE had good fit and finish.

mjkeat
01-08-2011, 08:31
I believe true Magpul stuff is marked on the item itself. It should say Magpul in the casting somewhere.

timberwoof
01-08-2011, 09:27
I've had several things from MagPul and never a complaint. I've always thought they had very good quality.

FatBoy
01-08-2011, 10:33
So I purchased the MIAD grip and was less than impressed. While it felt exceptionally solid, the fit and finish of the surfaces mating to the rifle left a lot to be desired.

I had to shave off small tags and sand places just to make it fit. It honestly looked like a cheap Chinese casting before going to finishing.

Is this standard for all Magpul polymer products or is this just a one-off?

All the MagPul stuff I have has been top notch out of the box. Maybe you got taken, maybe you got a piece that skipped QC. :dunno: There are all kinds of knock-offs out there. DD, LaRue, Aimpoint, and MagPul. Post some pics of the grip, packaging, and where you got it. If it is real, you could have sent it back and they would have taken care of ya.

FB

RMTactical
01-08-2011, 10:58
I believe it is genuine magpul and not some knock-off. It has the genuine logo and the packaging looks legit. How would I know it's airsoft product? The product installation instructions were for an AR.

I'm inclined to agree with bowtie454. Think I just got a rough one. I'm going to keep the thing regardless, and with the number of replies I get attesting to their quality I think i will go ahead with my Magpul themed build.

I would contact Magpul. If it's theirs they will own up to it and get you a good one.

NeverMore1701
01-08-2011, 11:02
I've only had a few things from Magpul (2 MOE grips, an MOE and an enhanced trigger guard, a set of midlength MOE handguards, an ASAP, an MS2, and a bunch of XTM rail panels), but none of them have any QC issues.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-08-2011, 13:19
Magpul stuff has been top notch in my experiences. I've got a ton of it on my rifle. Everyone has their bad ones that get out.

1time
01-08-2011, 18:34
Both of my Miad grips are less than I expect from Magpul. I have moe stocks, handguards, grips, and several Mbuis and they are great. The Miad grips aren't horrible but compared to the rest of their products they seem to be a step below. They fit the rifle fine; it is the way the front and back strap fir the main part of the grip.

NeverMore1701
01-08-2011, 18:55
Both of my Miad grips are less than I expect from Magpul. I have moe stocks, handguards, grips, and several Mbuis and they are great. The Miad grips aren't horrible but compared to the rest of their products they seem to be a step below. They fit the rifle fine; it is the way the front and back strap fir the main part of the grip.

I was concerned about that, which is why I got the MOE PGs.

mjkeat
01-08-2011, 19:46

I wonder what happened. I have three MIADs and they are built as well as my MOE grips. Ive even mixed straps and they still fit great.