New NN [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New NN

20South
01-07-2011, 15:43
Thought I would share my Christmas gift to myself. I picked up a new Guncrafter NN from Dave a few weeks back and am just now getting around to posting some pics. First off, Dave is a great person to talk with and to work with. I highly recommend anyone interested in a purchase to give him a call. The guy knows a ton about the semi-custom space and has relationships with everyone you would ever want to get information from if he doesnt know it himself.

This forum, Dave, and Alex Z. are all to blame for this purchase. After learning about the NN and Guncrafter, I did a ton of research and decided the NN offered everything I wanted in a higher end pistol. Finding one was proving to be difficult so I sent a random e-mail to Guncrafter and almost immediately got a response back from Alex. I was surprised that the owner was so accommodating as I was halfway expecting a form mail response or a clerk/rep. I figured at this point, CS was not going to be an issue with accessibility like that from Alex himself. Here is where Dave came in. I found an old post where he had sold a couple of Guncrafter's previously and sent him an message. Wouldn't you know it, the dealer himself happened to have one coming in over the next couple of weeks. At that point I had no choice...

I have been meaning to post a full range report, but with the holidays and family and work travel its just taken a back burner. I have put about 400 rounds down range so far, mostly a combination of WWB and Blazer's 230gr FMJ. Due to my cheapness factor, I have only shot about 1 box (20) of Speer Gold Dots (185gr) through the same sessions. I used Wilson 47D, Wilson ETM, and the Springfield Mags (Metalform?) which came with my TRP. I tried every combination of Blazers, WWB, and occasional GD's through those Magazines and have had zero issues to date. This pistol has been absolutely flawless through three range trips and 400 rounds. The trigger is the best I have ever pulled, being somewhere in the 4-4.5 range. I do not have a gauge or I would measure it, but it breaks similarly to the SACS job on my TRP which is 4.5lb. The area around the ejection port after the first visit was brassed up pretty good, but the two subsequent trips have shown much less of that. It doesnt matter to me much as I bought this gun to shoot, but those "kisses" sure show up nice on the Melonite. Speaking of which, the Melonite finish is perfect and very well done. I will try to get some actual target pics posted this weekend, those seem to have been tossed between my last visit to the range and the house getting cleaned.

Sorry for my rambling post, there really isn't enough good things I can say about this pistol or my experience with Dave/Guncrafter.

https://files.me.com/bmlackey/y1a0c2

https://files.me.com/bmlackey/4ijfg8

https://files.me.com/bmlackey/ke2hr5

https://files.me.com/bmlackey/qn4jgy

https://files.me.com/bmlackey/t76r6l

https://files.me.com/bmlackey/qsa7d9

38 Super Fan
01-07-2011, 15:57
Looks great, good write up, congrats. :thumbsup:

knedrgr
01-07-2011, 16:36
That's one sharp pistol! So CLEAN!

Mr. Gekko
01-07-2011, 16:47
Very nice. Congrats!

Cerebrus
01-07-2011, 17:13
I can't wait until I can order mine this year!! Damn but that is a sweet pistol!!

awpk03s
01-07-2011, 17:25
Good gravy.... that is sweet. Pictures and posts like this are going to eventually cost me a lot of money. I want a No Name Commander in my collection someday very soon.

drc767
01-07-2011, 17:47
I am really digging the pictures.....Very, very cool! If I have said it once, I will say it a thousand times.....Alex Zimmerman builds one of the finest semi-custom 1911's out there. Thanks for the kind words. I am very happy that you are enjoying the pistol I had built for ME!! :) I am going to get another one on the way next week....the exact same build as yours.

BlayGlock
01-07-2011, 17:52
My NN quickly became my favorite pistol. Im sure you will enjoy yours as well.

G27RR
01-07-2011, 17:52
Nice pistol, and good job on the pictures.

glock2740
01-07-2011, 18:08
Congrats! Looks great.

Nicko
01-07-2011, 18:53
Very nice.

lawdog734
01-07-2011, 18:55
We should start a "I own a Drc gun" thread. I also own a no name that Dave bought for himself. By far my favorite gun I own. Enjoy and very nice pics

Hokie1911
01-07-2011, 19:00
Congrats on a GREAT choice. :thumbsup:

bac1023
01-07-2011, 19:00
Awesome!

I see you went with the same grips I did. I like them better than the standard NN grips.

Dave is a great guy to work with. :)

glock2740
01-07-2011, 19:19
We should start a "I own a Drc gun" thread. I also own a no name that Dave bought for himself. By far my favorite gun I own. Enjoy and very nice pics
I got my NN through Dave as well. Along with my Wilson CQB and the Wilson Ultra Light Carry Compact that's being built as we speak. And my Baer TRS is one of Dave's that I talked him out of. He talked me in off the ledge awhile back when I was wanting a rail gun. :rofl:Although, I bet he'd turn loose of that sweet SA Pro Operator he's go, if I coughed up the money. :rofl:

Benello
01-07-2011, 19:51
Beautiful pistol! What do those typically fetch? Over 3K?

lawdog734
01-07-2011, 20:13
Beautiful pistol! What do those typically fetch? Over 3K?

With the quality you would think that but they run around $2500 depending on what options you get.

glock2740
01-07-2011, 20:48
Good gravy.... that is sweet. Pictures and posts like this are going to eventually cost me a lot of money. I want a No Name Commander in my collection someday very soon.
When Alex built my hardchrome NN Commander, he liked it so much, that he built an exact twin in Melonite for me too. Neither Dave not I knew until they were almost done. I gave it some serious thought, as they are consecutive serial numbers and that would be a very cool set to own. Money was the main problem, so I called Alex and told him that I would like to buy it, but just didn't know when it would be possible. He told me that he would put it in his safe and save it for me. I've ended up going with a Wilson ULCc instead, so, as far as I know, it should still be there. This is a crappy cell phone pic that Alex sent Dave. But, it looks just like OP's gun as far as finish and grips. It has a flush crowned barrel, silver 3 hole trigger and a rounded butt, which is not an option that he even offers. If I had money shooting out of my butt, then I would already own it, but, since I don't ...:supergrin: anyway, here's the pic.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/DRC_Hard_Chrome_NN_COM_0281.jpg

drc767
01-07-2011, 20:56
If I had money shooting out of my butt, then I would already own it, but, since I don't ...:supergrin: anyway, here's the pic.

Nah....if you had money shooting out of your butt, you would have that Wilson Professional Supergrade Bobtail in NP3+ that I have.....:)

glock2740
01-07-2011, 21:00
Nah....if you had money shooting out of your butt, you would have that Wilson Professional Supergrade Bobtail in NP3+ that I have.....:)
OK, well, I'd have both. :rofl:

bac1023
01-07-2011, 21:00
Guncrafter builds a hell of a 1911. :cool:

awpk03s
01-07-2011, 21:02
When Alex built my hardchrome NN Commander, he liked it so much, that he built an exact twin in Melonite for me too. Neither Dave not I knew until they were almost done. I gave it some serious thought, as they are consecutive serial numbers and that would be a very cool set to own. Money was the main problem, so I called Alex and told him that I would like to buy it, but just didn't know when it would be possible. He told me that he would put it in his safe and save it for me. I've ended up going with a Wilson ULCc instead, so, as far as I know, it should still be there. This is a crappy cell phone pic that Alex sent Dave. But, it looks just like OP's gun as far as finish and grips. It has a flush crowned barrel, silver 3 hole trigger and a rounded butt, which is not an option that he even offers. If I had money shooting out of my butt, then I would already own it, but, since I don't ...:supergrin: anyway, here's the pic.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/DRC_Hard_Chrome_NN_COM_0281.jpg

Wow... that is really nice. I would love to have that, but it's not in the financial cards for me right now. Hopefully in the next year or so I will be in the position to have another great semi-custom, and a GC No Name Commander is at the top of my list. I like Browns, Wilsons, and would even love to have a Baer Stinger, but the NN really draws me much more than any of the rest.

20South
01-07-2011, 21:06
Awesome!

I see you went with the same grips I did. I like them better than the standard NN grips.

Dave is a great guy to work with. :)

Yeah its funny, I knew I didnt want the shredders when Dave and I got in touch with one another. Everything just sort of fell into place, Dave told me the OD Alumagrips were coming, and I said don't change a thing!

20South
01-07-2011, 21:10
I got my NN through Dave as well. Along with my Wilson CQB and the Wilson Ultra Light Carry Compact that's being built as we speak. And my Baer TRS is one of Dave's that I talked him out of. He talked me in off the ledge awhile back when I was wanting a rail gun. :rofl:Although, I bet he'd turn loose of that sweet SA Pro Operator he's go, if I coughed up the money. :rofl:

Yeah he has me on the hook for a Springfield Pro too already, but who knows how long that will be (~10-14 mos). Knowing Dave though, I wouldnt be surprised at all if he called me tomorrow and told me he had one on the way.

20South
01-07-2011, 21:13
Thanks for all of the nice comments guys. This pistol is going to be in the family for a long long time.

glock2740
01-07-2011, 21:28
Yeah he has me on the hook for a Springfield Pro too already, but who knows how long that will be (~10-14 mos). Knowing Dave though, I wouldnt be surprised at all if he called me tomorrow and told me he had one on the way.
Glad to hear that. So, I'm not the only sucker he has on the hook huh? :rofl:

20South
01-07-2011, 21:29
Glad to hear that. So, I'm not the only sucker he has on the hook huh? :rofl:

Nope. He knows how to keep us chasing the purple dragons for sure.

thecableguy
01-07-2011, 21:40
Man that looks great. Congrats

jjdubious48195
01-08-2011, 14:17
I am speechless, that is so Beautiful. I just ordered the American but that is giving me second thoughts.