Hard drive going to fail? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive going to fail?

Adjuster
01-07-2011, 16:41
Go to this page

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Down to Maxtor and click on the second from the top or second down play button

" Maxtor drive with bad heads making steady clicking/knocking sound."

This is exactly the sound my hard drive makes. Thing is it only does it randomly. Go for weeks or even months with nothing then it will start. I think I need to change it out before total failure. When it does start to click it will usually crash and give me a system dump screen.

I am going to need help. What is the best free program to clone a drive? I am going to need to be walked through the steps. I have read up a little on Google but it is a little confusing. Will it be a simple plug in new drive, clone old drive to new drive, remove old drive and good to go operation? If anyone knows a website that explains it clearly please post it.

Adjuster
01-07-2011, 16:50
What would a local little computer shop charge me if I took my old drive and a new drive to them and asked to clone?

filthy infidel
01-07-2011, 18:56
I'd download clonezilla.com and clone from there. An HDD making odd noises is the earliest indication of imminent failure. Google this and go forth, with haste my friend!

filthy infidel
01-07-2011, 18:59
At my shop I'd charge you $90 to clone your HDD unless it was over 1TB. Should it require further work, you'd pay up to $140 for a clone. Data recovery? $800 to get on the field.

Adjuster
01-07-2011, 19:30
Thanks Filthy. Can you tell me which exact version of CloneZilla to download? I see there are several versions depending on my system. I am running Windows XP Pro with a x86 3ghz Intel processor. I believe I am going to boot from a usb jump drive. Is it as simple as loading the CloneZilla program to the jump drive, then rebooting to the jump drive and follow on screen instructions? Is any of it going to be tricky?

Thanks

dotsun
01-07-2011, 19:31
I usually just get the new drive, install the OS on it, and slave the old drive. Copy what ya need and as a bonus you have a clean Windows install.

Adjuster
01-07-2011, 19:46
I usually just get the new drive, install the OS on it, and slave the old drive. Copy what ya need and as a bonus you have a clean Windows install.

I would do that but I have extensive proprietary work/job programs that I need to keep intact.

Adjuster
03-13-2011, 11:33
I switched out my drive. Cloning was very easy using SeaGate Disc Wizard. Just a few simple steps and then done. My computer is much faster as the new drive has a larger cache/memory. Very easy upgrade for anyone that needs to change out their drive.

Pierre!
03-13-2011, 12:42
If you have Windows 7 you can make an image of your system.

Very Fast, Very Easy...

What OS are you using?

Adjuster
03-13-2011, 12:50
XP Pro for me.

JimmyN
03-13-2011, 12:53
Each of the drive manufacturers provides cloning software.

If you buy an OEM drive rather than a retail version and it doesn't come with a CD you can download the software from their website. But the manufacturers cloning software only works with their drive, that's why it's free.

Western Digital actually uses Acronis but it's a WD version so you get it free rather than paying the $49 or however much it normally costs. I had to replace a failing drive in one of the companies PC's just a few weeks ago and used WD's cloning software.

Plugged the new drive in, started the Acronis WD program which quickly cloned the drive, plus the new drive was larger so it expanded the partition size to fill the new drives space. Shut it down, removed the bad drive, plugged the cloned drive in it's place and it booted right up.

The most important thing to watch is that you are cloning the correct drive. You could inadvertently start cloning the new blank drive onto your existing drive. You wouldn't be pleased with the results.

filthy infidel
03-13-2011, 14:24
Each of the drive manufacturers provides cloning software.

If you buy an OEM drive rather than a retail version and it doesn't come with a CD you can download the software from their website. But the manufacturers cloning software only works with their drive, that's why it's free.

Western Digital actually uses Acronis but it's a WD version so you get it free rather than paying the $49 or however much it normally costs. I had to replace a failing drive in one of the companies PC's just a few weeks ago and used WD's cloning software.

Plugged the new drive in, started the Acronis WD program which quickly cloned the drive, plus the new drive was larger so it expanded the partition size to fill the new drives space. Shut it down, removed the bad drive, plugged the cloned drive in it's place and it booted right up.

The most important thing to watch is that you are cloning the correct drive. You could inadvertently start cloning the new blank drive onto your existing drive. You wouldn't be pleased with the results.

The last paragraph is the gospel truth!!!!!

We had a client get the Koobface worm on his work PC. He runs three companies out of that machine and we had to rebuild the file structure/outlook/etc from scratch. We spent a few dozen hours on that machine at $100 an hour. When we were done I pulled the HDD to make a backup image..... as I selected the source and destination drives my hands were literally shaking......

Pierre!
03-13-2011, 15:20
The last paragraph is the gospel truth!!!!!

We had a client get the Koobface worm on his work PC. He runs three companies out of that machine and we had to rebuild the file structure/outlook/etc from scratch. We spent a few dozen hours on that machine at $100 an hour. When we were done I pulled the HDD to make a backup image..... as I selected the source and destination drives my hands were literally shaking......

I am one of those *chickens* who unplugs all but necessary drives, and labels them as distinctly as possible prior to proceeding...

It's kinda like swapping out failed RAID5 drives - *Speed* Kills in these situations :cool:

Sgt. Schultz
03-13-2011, 15:21
I switched out my drive. Cloning was very easy using SeaGate Disc Wizard. Just a few simple steps and then done. My computer is much faster as the new drive has a larger cache/memory. Very easy upgrade for anyone that needs to change out their drive.Good work ...

I would do that but I have extensive proprietary work/job programs that I need to keep intact.

Now you should create an image of the drive just in case it ever fails completely. One of the first things that I do whenever I take on a client is to image their "mission critical" computers. Data can be recovered in minutes, but reinstalling the OS, all their software and then reconfiguring a workstation can take days.

gemeinschaft
03-14-2011, 05:42
I bought two 500gb 2.5in Sata Drives yesterday at Fry's at $65 a piece :rofl::rofl:

I would recommend copying all data to an external hard drive and making an image. If you get a bad image, you are hosed.

I like to backup my data in two places so I have a backup of my backup.

Adjuster
03-14-2011, 09:22
I got my new hard drive off Amazon.com 500gb Seagate for $35.00. The price of these things and computer accessories or all electronics in general is amazing these days.

IndyGunFreak
03-14-2011, 10:22
If you haven't already cloned it... Another vote for Clonezilla. I always use the Live CD version, but I imagine the Live USB will work as well.

If you're doing something as simple as cloning one drive to another, There's easy walkthroughs on their site.

http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php

At the price of that drive, you should have bought 2, so you could keep one fully imaged in case the other craps out. While hard drives have gotten very cheap, they've also dropped in quality, in my experience. Even Seagate Barracuda's, which used to be rock solid.. have really started to slip.

IGF