Tablet PC's going to run Microsoft software? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tablet PC's going to run Microsoft software?

Jim1970
01-07-2011, 20:03
Greetings,

I'm about to buy a new laptop, but I'm holding out for a new Tablet PC. I like the iPad, but I want something comparable that has a CD/DVD drive, camera(s), and usb ports. I know the 2011 CES show is on right now, and I'm reading about a TON of new tablets coming out. But I cannot find anything that tells me if they will run microsoft windows software in conjunction with android.

Does anyone know or have a theory? Will the new tablets that run android will also have a microsoft word/excel/powerpoint?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

vafish
01-07-2011, 21:56
The Android OS is a version of Linux, I doubt you will find a tablet that will run Microsoft Office directly.

But they probably will come with some form of Open Office software that will open and run office documents, spreadsheets, and power point presentations.

W4CNG
01-07-2011, 22:22
I and my wife and daughter have iPads with no issues. The Apple store has a ton of apps and if you already have an iPhone, you can move those apps to the iPad.

Good Luck with the iPad.

JK-linux
01-07-2011, 22:23
I see a lot of folks contemplating getting a tablet. Most folks who already have them seem to describe them as a supplement to their laptop or desktop. You might consider getting a laptop that runs your operating system of choice instead of a tablet for now. Tablets are great, but I'm not sure they are quite to the point of replacing a laptop if you run applications like MS Office or even Open Office. Even if the "Office" applications were released tomorrow for Windows/Android/Apple tablets, we might want to give them some time to mature before ditching laptops completely and using a tablet exclusively to do spreadsheets and the like. Oh, that sounds painful.

txinvestigator
01-08-2011, 00:21
I have a Tablet Laptop PC. Conventionial keyboard and I can flip the screen and close the lid and type with the on screen keyboard, like this post.

Swiper
01-08-2011, 00:57
I got a HP TouchSmart TM2. Laptop/Tablet-hybrid that uses Windows 7.

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/hp-touchsmart-tm2-2-pr.jpg

CitizenOfDreams
01-08-2011, 01:12
There are tablets and UMPCs that use regular WinXP/Win7 instead of crippled "mobile" operating systems. They will run MS Office or any other Windows software.

They even come in pocket size:

http://www.myviliv.com/v4/images/product/s5/feature_01.jpg

http://www.myviliv.com/v4/images/product/n5/feature_05.jpg

JK-linux
01-08-2011, 08:38
Do you guys use these as your sole PC - for everything? ie: games, taxes, work, video editing, storage, burning discs, etc...

mac66
01-08-2011, 09:30
I have a cheap 7" tablet that I've been using for 3 weeks on a trial basis. It runs Android. It is basically a big Ipod Touch. I mostly use it as a book reader and to check emails. It doesn't do anything very well but it works well for what I use it for. Not sure if I will keep it or not. I really wanted to try a tablet and to try Android. I do not have a smart phone.

On the other hand, I've been playing with a borrowed Ipad which is very functional. I am not an Apple nerd by any means but it does everything well. I do like the size of my other tablet better for most things but right now the Ipad is the standard by which everything else is judged.

I do not see any tablet PC replacing laptops or desktop computers. Like the netbook, the tablet is a supplement to full size computers not a replacement. I do think they will likely kill the netbook in that regard.

BTW, I haven't heard of a tablet pc with a CD/DVD drive. No room and defeats the point.

JK-linux
01-08-2011, 10:11
I haven't heard of a tablet pc with a CD/DVD drive. No room and defeats the point.

Me either. Didn't make much sense, but you never know if there is some tablet-compatible USB peripheral out there.

txinvestigator
01-08-2011, 11:59
Me either. Didn't make much sense, but you never know if there is some tablet-compatible USB peripheral out there.

My Lenovo tablet PC has 2 USB ports, video out, ethernet connection, wifi, SD card reader and of course mic in and headphone jack as well as a camera.

I have a portable DVD for installing software, loading movies, etc.

I have the option of setting it to boot to an "internet" only mode, where it boots faster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/txinvestigator/s10-3t.jpg

This could easily serve as my only PC. With a monitor, external keyboard and mouse I can do anything a full sized laptop can, plus it is more portable. I have the extended battery, and it gets 6 hours easily on a charge, more if I turn the wifi off.

I have the Kindle software on it, so I can use it as an e-reader.

CitizenOfDreams
01-08-2011, 14:16
Do you guys use these as your sole PC - for everything? ie: games, taxes, work, video editing, storage, burning discs, etc...

No, portable computers do not have enough CPU, GPU, RAM, or storage space to be good for "everything". Just like a pocket pistol cannot be universal - for some applications you need a full size gun, a rifle or a howitzer.

Linux3
01-09-2011, 01:16
No, portable computers do not have enough CPU, GPU, RAM, or storage space to be good for "everything". Just like a pocket pistol cannot be universal - for some applications you need a full size gun, a rifle or a howitzer.
Hey, CoD thanks for the laugh!
I plan to file off the serial numbers and use that reasoning myself. The howitzer was a nice touch.

Linux3
01-09-2011, 01:27
The HPs and Lenovos and such are really just rebranded laptops.

I think pretty much all the tablets that hope to be iPad killers run ARM cpus not Intel and thus are not x86 (Windows) compatible.
Microsoft has been talking about a version of Windows that will be ported to ARM but I would not hold your breath.

ARM cpus are popular because they use way, way less power for longer battery life and they get more done per clock cycle.
http://codingrelic.geekhold.com/2010/08/x86-vs-arm-mobile-cpus.html

But CoD still said it well.

CitizenOfDreams
01-09-2011, 01:57
I think pretty much all the tablets that hope to be iPad killers run ARM cpus not Intel and thus are not x86 (Windows) compatible.

Thanks to Intel Atom chipset, x86-compatible tablets are getting more common. Problem is, computational power comes at the expense of battery life. You can get a real computer with a real OS and real software, but you would have to charge the battery after a few hours of use.