Colt Commander. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Commander.

Teecher45
01-08-2011, 01:14
I'll try to make this as short as possible. Thursday my father called me and asked me to go to the range (we own a range on the farm) and see if the truck that just went by his house was a member. He didn't recognize the truck. I tucked away the G26 and headed down. Jump ahead, older member, new truck. As we got to talking I found out Santa brought him a new Colt Commander (that he had been carrying concealed since Christmas without firing) he starting complaining about it being too heavy/big for CC. His first shot failed to eject on mil surp 230 fmj. He is now spitting mad because of the bulk and the fte. He then finished the mag with no further problems. Then he says "I should have just got a 26". I had laid mine on the table while looking at the Colt.
Long story short I am the proud owner of a commander. I have only fired 22 rounds through it and have had no failures with the Cor-Bons (165gr) and Remingtons (230) but did have another fte with some 230 ball (using the other mag. Isn't this the opposite of how it is supposed to be? I know nothing about a 1911 except I love the way they feel in my hand.
A friend of mine suggested that it could have something to do with the fact the ejection port is not lowered, flared (?) or something like that.
I don't have enough premium ammo for further testing. I saved enough 165's to keep a loaded gun and extra mag. Suggestions?

ArmoryDoc
01-08-2011, 01:39
It could be that mag. If all your failures can be attributed to that mag, get rid of it. Mark them so you'll know which is which. Use plenty of oil on the rails until about 500 rounds, then back off.

Teecher45
01-08-2011, 01:49
The second fte was with the other mag. He only had the two that come with it.

Harvick
01-08-2011, 06:12
I have one too.... the tension on the extractor is critical without a lowered ejection port. Check it.

01-08-2011, 06:36
I am guessing ammo for now---Stick to what is working for the break in period and then venture on to other ammo. If the gun is new and tight it may need full power ammo to run until it loosens up.

woodrowNC
01-08-2011, 06:56
I'll try to make this as short as possible. Thursday my father called me and asked me to go to the range (we own a range on the farm) and see if the truck that just went by his house was a member. He didn't recognize the truck. I tucked away the G26 and headed down. Jump ahead, older member, new truck. As we got to talking I found out Santa brought him a new Colt Commander (that he had been carrying concealed since Christmas without firing) he starting complaining about it being too heavy/big for CC. His first shot failed to eject on mil surp 230 fmj. He is now spitting mad because of the bulk and the fte. He then finished the mag with no further problems. Then he says "I should have just got a 26". I had laid mine on the table while looking at the Colt.
Long story short I am the proud owner of a commander. I have only fired 22 rounds through it and have had no failures with the Cor-Bons (165gr) and Remingtons (230) but did have another fte with some 230 ball (using the other mag. Isn't this the opposite of how it is supposed to be? I know nothing about a 1911 except I love the way they feel in my hand.
A friend of mine suggested that it could have something to do with the fact the ejection port is not lowered, flared (?) or something like that.
I don't have enough premium ammo for further testing. I saved enough 165's to keep a loaded gun and extra mag. Suggestions?

you are the big big winner. nothing like that ever happens to me. congrats.

Badger1911
01-08-2011, 07:52
Outstanding turn of fortune in your favor! The guys above have provided good advice...lubricate well and use heavier ammo to break her in. Congrats on your new acquisition!

timberwoof
01-08-2011, 09:03
Co-Worker has a Commander and complained about the FTE on the initial runs as well. He said for the first 100 rounds he was just using whatever he had around the house and thinks the majority were due to weak ammo. But after he's had for about 2 years and put probably more rounds through it than I have through my service weapon, he never complains about it. I see him carrying it all the time and he tells me he never leaves home without it, and even carries it as a back up while on duty. How he keeps that thing concealed in a shoulder holster under his uniform I don't know. You'd never know it was there either.

Jim S.
01-08-2011, 09:18
First thing I think is that Dad made a serious mistake carrying a gun that he has never fired before.
Second thing is that many 1911's need to be fired a bit before they loosen up and make everything smooth.
Third thing is that 1911's need good ammunition which requires the owner to be patient and shoot a few good quality brands before deciding on what to carry.
Fourth he made a mistake trading his Commander for your Glock.
At least it is still in the family.

Teecher45
01-08-2011, 10:52
I have stated before, I know next to nothing about a 1911, I would have no idea how to check the tension on the extractor. If it something not real complicated I'm very willing to learn. Honestly, I don't have the funds to shoot a lot of any type of ammo, especially the high end stuff. I can probably squeeze out a cheap box a month, max.
It wasn't my father, he would know better, it was a member that I know a little. We discussed his error.
I'm not any type of armorer, but my job has given me the opportunity to work on Glocks, Smith revolvers and pistols, Ruger mini's, and Remington 870's and have learned them very well. I am an instructor, but mostly deal with corrections.
I would give anything to have the opportunity to learn the 1911 platform, just don't know anyone around here to learn from.

TN.Frank
01-08-2011, 11:36
It's a good idea to sit with the empty gun while you're watchin' TV and just work the slide back and forth. That'll help the parts seat in a bit more without actually shooting the gun. Of course nothing beats shooting since it'll help seat in all the parts and you'll also get use to the gun too.
I always polish up the feed ramp and throat and the underside of the slide where it rides the hammer and the hammer on all the 1911a1s I've had, just helps things to run a bit smoother but they'll polish up a bit with shooting too. Mind you, don't remove any metal, just polish em' up so they'll slide against one another easier.
Anyway, congrats on getting a nice gun.:cool:

Teecher45
01-08-2011, 21:48
Honestly guys, I really appreciate you trying to help me, but you have to realize I am completely ignorant of things like "Polish up the feed ramp and throat". I have no idea how to do something like that. I'm the kind of guy that you have to draw a picture for me. Anyway, is this really the problem? It has fed fine (so far, fingers crossed). The issue is that the ball ammo is getting stuck in the ejection port, causing a mis-feed.
My biggest issue is I have a lot more rounds of mil surp 230 ball than I do premium HP's (15 rounds). If I can't use the 230 it really hurts me.

01-09-2011, 06:25
It will run fine on 230 ball. Just shoot it until it loosens up.

KB2MBC
01-09-2011, 06:34
:needspics:

01-09-2011, 06:35
If the surplus ammo is heavily tarnished, it may be sticking to the camber walls. Clean the chamber, use good ammo, find someone to check the extractor tension or buy a 1911 gunsmithing book at the book store.

ArmoryDoc
01-09-2011, 10:00
I for one really need a better description of what the failure looks like. It would be easier to suggest some fixes with a better explanation. Thanks.

Teecher45
01-09-2011, 12:46
I'm trying to upload pics from my iPhone. Can't figure out how to attach them. A little help, please!?

glock2740
01-09-2011, 13:12
Sounds like an extractor tension issue to me. Maybe these will help.

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

http://www.marstar.ca/AssemblyColt1911.htm

http://gunner777.wordpress.com/disassembly-of-the-1911/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6SmlOEzNBs

Teecher45
01-09-2011, 20:34
Okay, let's see if this works.

Teecher45
01-09-2011, 20:40
Okay, if you can see my thumbnail you can see how the round gets stuck in the ejection port and this causes the hang-up. It only seems to do it with the old mil surp and not with the higher powered stuff. However 22 rounds is hardly a test. It has happened twice and both were on the mil surp stuff. It will do it everytime when I try to eject a round by racking the slide with my hand.
It seems like the ejection port isn't long enough or the ammo is too long. I know that isn't the problem, just trying to explian the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not ready to give-up yet!

01-09-2011, 21:29
That is normal when the live rounds are hand ejected. The ejection port on standard 1911s is only big enough for spnt rounds. In some ways it helps the oprator to remember to remove the mag first, so the bullet will drop out the bottom of the grip.

01-09-2011, 21:41
It is begining to look like you may be holding the gun too loosely when firing. A lighter power recoil spring or a tighter grip might solve the problem. The hi powered ammo is getting the slide to move faster. A loose grip will dissapate energy needed to move the slide.

Teecher45
01-09-2011, 23:20
Hmmmmm. Hadn't thought of that. The only handguns I've shot in the last ten years are Glocks and revolvers. I will try that.
A friend of a friend (that knows 1911's) is going to look at it Tuesday evening. I will also find time to get to the range before then. Will report. Thanks guys.

anyplainjoe
01-12-2011, 18:40
I'd go with the extrator, but only after alot of wear in first.

JBaird22
01-14-2011, 00:40
It almost seems like extractor. Your thumbnail shows a live round all catywompas (real word). Is that because that was the only thing you have to show us and it is actually happening on a spent round as it gets ejected or is that what happens during feeding?

Either way, and I am not a 1911 armorer but I know a little about them and their malfunctions, it looks like an extractor issue. Although, as another poster put it much more nicely, you could be limp wristing.

I'm interested in the conclusion.

Teecher45
01-14-2011, 10:28
Yes that is a live round but it is exactly what happens with a spent round while ejecting.
Yesterday I put another 50 rounds (mil surp) through it after I throughly cleaned it. I don't think the guy I got the pistol from cleaned it before we fired it the first day. I have now cleaned it 3 times with no idiot scratch (thanks you tube). I had one fte that caused a double feed. I cleared the jam and dropped the slide on the round still in the chamber, it then ejected the round. I looked at the brass and it was heavily tarnished (green stuff growing). Thinking it could just be the ammo, what do you think? The isssue is I have this mil surp ammo for "just in-case" and if I cannot get it to run with it, it does me no good.
Should I clean the brass on the remainding rounds? What can I clean the tarnish off of the rounds with?

01-14-2011, 11:27
sounds like the ammo--once the ammo is assembled, the only good way to clean it is by hand, just as you would polish a brass belt buckle--keep the polish away from the primer, in case it has oil in it that could creep into the primer, making the bullet a "dud"--some guys would put it in a tumbler for cleaning fired brass casings for reloading -- a number of people would not tumble it for fear that the powder could break down -- old powder will eventually break down either way -- I would just keep shooting them at the range and replace them with some newer stuff as time goes on.

Two things to be aware of: old ammo is often corrosive--clean the gun really well, and it is generally believed that dropping the slide on a piece of brass in the chamber can break the extractor -- if you do it enough. The extractor in a 1911 isn't like that of a shot gun.

anyplainjoe
01-14-2011, 11:43
Try 100 rounds of new FMJ and report back.

ArmoryDoc
01-14-2011, 13:20
Clean your gun, dry the solvent from it, oil the rails the slide rides on heavily, go to Walmart and buy a box of decent ammo and try it again. You have everything working against you with a dirty, dry gun and junk ammo.

oldsoldier
01-14-2011, 17:58
Try some better ammo as suggested above. If that doesn't work drop a 20lb recoil spring in. The Colt Commander is shipped with a 18lb spring. I had one that did the same exact thing. The 20lb spring completly cured the problem. I currently have two Commander size guns guns from other manufacturers. One was shipped with a 21lb variable power spring and the other with a 20lb standard spring. Both run perfectly. A friend bought a new S&W 1911 Commander size gun. It ran perfectly until he needed a new recoil spring. He screwed up and put a 18lb spring in it which caused the same problem you are showing. He called S&W and they told him the correct spring was 20lbs. The gun now runs perfect again. Good luck.

sheepdog
01-16-2011, 09:14
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Users_Guide.html
See "Maintenance and Field Checks. A great article and detail of what/why everyone here has suggested and then some. I like to change ONE variable at a time when trying to get a gun to work so I learn why it didn't.

Teecher45
01-19-2011, 16:21
Old Soldier. Please excuse my ignorance but I thought it was supposed to be lighter springs for lighter (mil surp) rounds and heavier springs for heavy ammo (ie Cor Bons)? Am I wrong?

skeeter1
01-19-2011, 17:57
ooops.