Cleaning a New Shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a New Shotgun

jlb27537
01-08-2011, 11:40
I recently bought a Century Ultra 87. It is the Chinese copy of a 870. It came in a box, with a Styrofoam cutout liner and covered in what looks like sticky 150W oil.

The Styrofoam has pealed off small round pellets of foam and is everywhere.

Any thoughts as to the best way clean this up? I have considered Simple Green and a garden hose as the first step, then disassemble and clean normally. Or perhaps spray it down with Brake Kleen or such.

Thanks Jim

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-08-2011, 12:50
I'd say you were on the right track. If the foam is sticking to it def try to get it off with water and a rag. Brake Kleen will take care of that tacky mess they shipped it with.

aippi
01-08-2011, 14:07
Go to any auto parts store and get a can of Cyclo Break Cleaner. It is under pressure and will blast that mess off the weapon. It also strips all the oil off so you will have to wipe the weapon down after. I use a couple cases of this stuff a month for cleaning weapons. It is just like gun blast but cost half as much and the can is twice as big.

jlb27537
01-10-2011, 20:09
Thanks to everyone, took it apart and used Simple Green, toothbrush and a garden hose. Blow dried, oiled and reassambled. Looks much better, however the quality is not what I expected. it is for sale now.

Thanks Jim