AR dilemma...to keep or build a new [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR dilemma...to keep or build a new

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-08-2011, 13:32
So...I've been in a dilemma lately about what I've wanted to do with my AR.
I just built it and I like it but I've had debates about wether or not I want to keep it.

Specs:
BCM 14.5'' mid length barrel with pinned/welded FH
YHM Lo Pro GB
BCM BCG, Upper Receiver, & Gunfighter handle.
RRA lower with DPMS LPK
Magpul MOE grip, CTR stock, BUIS, trigger guard, Bad Lever, ASAP, MS2 Sling
MI rifle length rail
Troy Ambi Safety
blah blah blah.

Anywho...I love my rifle...mostly because I built it. I don't want to have more than one AR...just because. I was thinking about getting rid of it and building a 10.5'' AR pistol and sending in my paperwork for SBR. Would you keep the carbine or go for the shorty AR? And why if you would?

mymojo67
01-08-2011, 13:43
I would keep it, sounds like you have an ideal rifle, short, light, and a barrel that keeps your velocity up where it belongs to be effective.
IMHO pistols of any type that shoot a rifle caliber are purely a novelty item.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-08-2011, 13:46
Good call. It is nice, but it's not the cat's meow you know what I mean? I wish I would have used a bit more of a higher quality part...maybe they're all just as good. I'm kind of a fashionista when it comes to AR's :D

BBJones
01-08-2011, 14:11
If it were mine, I would upgrade the trigger to a Geissele (SSA, SD-C, S3G or SD3G) and the rail to a DD Lite (or Omega X) and call it a day. If you sell this to get another, be prepared to get 2/3 or what you paid for it (or maybe even less).

I see the 10.5" as very specialized and not practical setup.

thisaway
01-08-2011, 16:27
Please keep me in mind should you decide to sell.

NeverMore1701
01-08-2011, 16:45
If it were mine, I would upgrade the trigger to a Geissele (SSA, SD-C, S3G or SD3G) and the rail to a DD Lite (or Omega X) and call it a day. If you sell this to get another, be prepared to get 2/3 or what you paid for it (or maybe even less).

I see the 10.5" as very specialized and not practical setup.

This, right here. Also consider a BattleComp BC 1.5.

Bushflyr
01-08-2011, 16:58
Definitely do not sell that setup. As was posted the only thing that could really be improved on it would be a lighter rail and a better trigger. And that not by much. You will regret selling it sometime down the road. It's, IMO, about the perfect do it all rifle.

deputy tom
01-08-2011, 17:02
Your current carbine sounds like the cat's meow.I'd keep it.tom.:cool:

SPIN2010
01-08-2011, 18:28
Keep it ... I got one up (M&P 15T) and cannot even get a hit on 2/3 the price. And in fact, this thread is the "Break Point" for me, I am going to keep mine.

When you go to build an AR all the parts you need are golden, and when you go to sell it all the parts are lead. :crying:

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-10-2011, 06:37
Good call. One of my real problems is the damn thing won't work all the time. I've been told that an AR shouldn't need a break in period, but damnit mine won't work. I'm thinking it's the ammo. History of the rifle:
Originally I bought some UMC Remington to run through it and the bolt wasn't cycling far enough back. I clipped the buffer spring as it was about an inch too long. Well short story the spring was too thick and long (rifle sized) and I hadn't noticed...yea... Anywho, I've purchased a carbine spring and the rifle will fire a round, eject, but not strip a new round. This is TUL Ammo...****ty steel cased crap ammo. So I'm thinking it's underpowered maybe. Any comments? suggestions?

The reason I was going to get rid of it is I got offered a Matched upper lower by Noveske with Colt BCG, LPK. Vltor buffer tube/ spring, KNS pins, and some other stuff...Was going to build off of that.

Jumper
01-10-2011, 08:20
It sounds like it might be short stroking. You might check to see if your gas block is lined up correctly with your gas port. Just a thought. Good luck.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
01-10-2011, 09:09
Keep it and build another---the Commies will be coming for your guns after what happened saturday.

I was shopping for a new computer----I brought home a new SR9c yesterday instead due to this---the computer can wait.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-10-2011, 12:00
Haha nice. I think I am building another and fixing this one. Next one will be a 308

jrs93accord
01-10-2011, 20:17
Keep what you have and build yourself a SBR. You will not be sorry.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/001-3.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/002-3.jpg

1811guy
01-10-2011, 21:47
It sounds like it might be short stroking. AYou might check to see if your gas block is lined up correctly with your gas port. Just a thought. Good luck.

This here. Alignment isn't the issue. Ammo is the problem. I had a 14.5" middy barrel and it would short stroke with underpowered ammo. There just isn't enought dwell time to cycle the action fully with weak loads. Compared to a 16" carbine, a 14.5" middy not only shortens the barrel, but also moves the gasblock forward, both of which decrease the amount of time where there is gas being vented off the port to cycle the action. That said, some 14>5" midlengths have no issues.

The solution is to use only full power 5.56 loads, get a 16" middy barrel, or get a 14.5" carbine barrel. I personally would get a 16" midlength (pinned FH's bite - the threaded barrel will make your rifle more versatile). Keep your rifle, then build another SBR in the configuration you want. Trust me, it is better to have one more AR...because you have black rifle disease and that is the only cure.

Bushflyr
01-11-2011, 00:11
^^Horse pucky. My 14.9" middy eats Wolf like a champ. I've never had a single malfunction with that gun. Not even after 500 rounds of Wolf lacquer without cleaning at a class. If your 14.5 middy short strokes with any ammo it's because it wasn't built right. Not a design issue.

mjkeat
01-11-2011, 15:08
Can this problem be from an improper buffer and /or spring?

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-14-2011, 05:31
Changed the buffer spring, tore the whole rifle down and reassembled with finesse. Runs like a champ now. I'm guessing the gas block was misaligned. Feeds and fires cheap TUL ammo and PMC alike. Still going to sell as I want an SBR 5.56 and 308 possibly scar or m1a.