Georgia Arms Speer Unicore ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Arms Speer Unicore ammo

pbs357
01-08-2011, 14:04
Has anyone chrono'd the Speer Unicore JHP ammo from Georgia Arms? First off, I'm wondering if the bullet is the same as the Gold Dot design (which they used to market/sell), and if the speed/accuracy is good enough to consdier for defensive ammo?

Looking to buy 1k, and didn't know if it was worth it versus just buying the FMJ's and saving the difference to buy GDHPs separately.

Thanks!

NitLion
01-13-2011, 20:43
I'm wondering if the bullet is the same as the Gold Dot design (which they used to market/sell)

Good question. I just went to their site and submitted that question!

whippoorwill
01-14-2011, 13:15
I bought 500 rounds of GA Arms .357 Sig FMJ that is loaded in Speer nickel plated brass. I've had several light firing pin strikes out of the first 100 rounds resulting in failure to fire in my Glock 32. Glad I don't have to depend on this ammo and it's just for practice.

Does not happen with any other type of ammo I've tried. Found someone else having the same problem on another forum (with Speer nickel plated brass-was not produced by GA Arms).

pbs357
01-14-2011, 19:55
I bought 500 rounds of GA Arms .357 Sig FMJ that is loaded in Speer nickel plated brass. I've had several light firing pin strikes out of the first 100 rounds resulting in failure to fire in my Glock 32. Glad I don't have to depend on this ammo and it's just for practice.

Does not happen with any other type of ammo I've tried. Found someone else having the same problem on another forum (with Speer nickel plated brass-was not produced by GA Arms).

Was yours the Canned Heat ammo?

whippoorwill
01-15-2011, 16:39
Yes, that comes in the surplus army can.

NitLion
01-17-2011, 16:08
Good question. I just went to their site and submitted that question!

Question: What is the Speer Bonded Unicore bullet that Georgia Arms is offering? Is that different that your gold dot bullet? Thanks,

Answer: Could be several. Gold Dot bullets are only loaded by Speer,
others can purchase Uni-Cor bullets for OEM loading.

:wavey:

pbs357
01-18-2011, 22:35
Thanks for the update NitLion! Though I'm a little concerned about the hard primer comments mentioned previously. If anyone else reading this has had similar issues (or successes for that matter) with 357 SIG from GA Arms please chime in...

deeHKman
01-25-2011, 01:59
Thanks for the update NitLion! Though I'm a little concerned about the hard primer comments mentioned previously. If anyone else reading this has had similar issues (or successes for that matter) with 357 SIG from GA Arms please chime in...

I use alot of their ammo for years and never a problem. But in my 32 i only use the Speer GoldDots 125gr. I've had some bad primer strikes in Remington in my G20sf so it happens. But that is just range use also. :wavey:

Ryan327
01-25-2011, 12:11
I've had bought 1k of the canned heat for my S&W M&P 40 and have a ton of issues with light primer strikes. I bagged the 1K into 100 round bags and usually have 10-15 per bag that won't fire on the first strike.

If I rechamber the roundr and fire it again it usually fires 4 out of 5 attempts. At first I was worried I had issues with my gun, but after running multiple different types of factory ammo through it without problem I'm sure it's a Georgia Arms issue.

I had tested this ammo in small 50 round packs (200 rounds total) purchased at a gun show and had no issues, but when I bought the canned heat 6 mo. later (the height of the ammo shortage) I've since had nothing but problems with it.

I'm reloading my own now, but even if I wasn't I wouldn't use them again. I'm not sure what primers they are using, but I'm guessing some cheap/hard Soviet ones. The primers should all be small pistol primers so the problems should not be cartidge specific. Just my .02 though

Ryan

K_Rasmussen
02-28-2011, 22:38
I was just wondering the same thing and googled this thread. Anybody know?

redbaron007
03-09-2011, 21:09
I just recently purchased 500 FMJ rounds (not Canned Heat); have shot aprox 250...no light primer strikes, no problems. This is the second batch of their ammo I've shot. Now totaling 750 rounds through my G32.

A friend of mine has purchased a couple thousand rounds with only a couple of light primer strikes.

I like their stuff, plus a little cheaper.

pbs357
03-10-2011, 17:47
Sorry not Unicore related but I did buy 1000rds of the FMJ 357SIG ammo after shooting 200 rounds as a sample. (not the Canned Heat - the regular stuff is $10 more at 1000rds but comes in sealed, heavy plastic/labeled 50rd bags). No issues, accurate, and seems to be a potent round, feeling the same as when I shoot Speer Gold Dot.

clarkstoncz
08-17-2011, 23:38
Anyone use Great Lakes Ammo?

http://greatlakesammo.com/shopsite/page17.html