Side Saddle Shell Holder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Side Saddle Shell Holder

David_Ely
01-08-2011, 14:38
NOOB question. I just mounted a side shell holder on my 870 and was wondering, do the shells go brass up or down and why? The picture shows the shells with the brass on top but I always thought the brass went on the bottom.

Jon_R
01-08-2011, 15:07
Which type of side saddle?

IMO a Mesa Tactical you can do either as it has a rubber gasket to hold onto the shells and a metal frame. If you have a cheaper one that is just held by the friction of two plastic pieces then when new you can probably get away with either but over time the plastic will loosen some then when you point it at something and it is hosizontal your shells will work themselves loose and fall out if you do it brass on the bottom. If you have the brass on the top they can't fall through.

David_Ely
01-08-2011, 15:21
I have a TacStar 4 shell holder.

Jon_R
01-08-2011, 15:30
If you keep the side saddle loaded for defensive use I would put the brass on top to be safer. If you do brass on bottom you will probably be good for a while but the day you go to grab it because something bad happened you don't want all your shells to fall out on the floor when you fire your first shot.

I have the mesa tactical so maybe someone with direct experience of the Tac Star can chime in.

m24shooter
01-08-2011, 16:17
If you run them brass up you won't have to worry about the rounds falling out under recoil, movement, or jarring. Both the TacStar and Mesas will do this. If you leave rounds in them, the tubing in the Mesa can deform and allow the rounds to fall out. If you rotate the rounds out of the carrier periodically they will do better. The TacStars can over time loosen up enough to allow the rounds to fall out as well. The elastic carriers are supposed to be better about not losing rounds but I haven't run one long enough to know yet.

Aceman
01-08-2011, 18:15
There is no correct answer.

Consideration #1 - Do they fall out when the gun is shot? If so, brass up might be the better choice.

#2 Why do you want it? Convenient ammo carry or speedy reload? If convenient carry, doesn't matter, see #1

#3 For speedy reload: Depends how YOU reload, but generally brass down will be faster. However - brass up is faster than picking shells up off the floor. See #1

Mine is on an ATI stock and is nice and snug.

MacG22
01-08-2011, 20:10
Depends on how you use it.

Brass down are most quickly accessed for speed loading. But the brass up are more for a tac reload and to put one directly into the chamber.

When I'm empty, I always load one straight into the chamber and then set the pump forward, then flip over and do a speed reload.

So I have three or four set down for speed. One up (buck) for a tac, and one slug up for a slug switch if I need it (I'm in bear country).

David_Ely
01-08-2011, 21:34
Thank you all for the advice. I'm new to "tactical" shotguns though I been hunting with smoothbores for years (muzzle and breech loading). I mainly wanted it to have spare ammunition available so I've decided to go "brass up" until I've taken a tactical shotgun course and figure out what works best for me.

swinokur
01-08-2011, 23:09
Brass down means you don't lose your sight picture. Your hand can go under the receiver to reload. Brass up means your hand goes over the top of the receiver and interferes with your sighting down the barrel.. If the clamps get so loose the shells fall out upon recoil, time for a new one.

My .02

MrMurphy
01-09-2011, 01:15
Having done both, i go brass up. And I had a tacstar.

Also, blue loctite the screws if you didn't or they'll come out under recoil.

I found that out the hard way once.

A6Gator
01-09-2011, 09:23
Brass down makes a quick reload easier. If you watch 3G tactical or heavy metal shooters that (strong side) reload or keep reloads from a side saddle, they carry brass down, so when you roll the shotgun over for a reload, you're gripping the brass to slide into the feed ramp. YMMV

m24shooter
01-09-2011, 09:54
You don't have to reach over the top to reload if you keep them brass up. I keep mine brass up and don't reload over the top and I have no problem keeping my eyes on the target. Brass up is a little slower than brass down, but it is also a whole lot more secure. I wouldn't do a rollover reload unless I absolutely had to.
Some of the difference here is gun game versus defensive/duty use. They can both work, have different advantages and disadvantages, and the circumstances they are used in have to be considered.

Victoriagotagun
01-09-2011, 17:12
Brass up for me. Had shells and seen too many shells fall out during classes when carried brass down.

dc2integra
01-09-2011, 21:54
I keep the brass down but if i leave them for too long while shooting they start to slowly slip off

Goldstar225
01-10-2011, 06:54
To each his own. I have carried brass down for ten years with no problem. I do it for reloading the tube although it also works well for reloading the empty chamber. Those who advocate brass up have a valid point in that it's more secure.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-10-2011, 07:18
I don't have a side saddle yet, but when I do I guess it's trial and error. Good question

frankr
01-11-2011, 02:23
If you run them brass up you won't have to worry about the rounds falling out under recoil, movement, or jarring. Both the TacStar and Mesas will do this. If you leave rounds in them, the tubing in the Mesa can deform and allow the rounds to fall out. If you rotate the rounds out of the carrier periodically they will do better. The TacStars can over time loosen up enough to allow the rounds to fall out as well. The elastic carriers are supposed to be better about not losing rounds but I haven't run one long enough to know yet.

When you say elastic carriers (Allen) are you talking about the ones that slip over the butt stock?

m24shooter
01-11-2011, 06:41
No. I'm referring to the Vang and 3 Gun Gear types. I don't care for butt cuffs.

collim1
01-11-2011, 07:49
Brass to the sky, always IMO.

Remington4Life
01-17-2011, 12:45
all down on an auto, 2 up 2 down on a pump.

Big A
01-26-2011, 12:37
Here's how I do it on my 20" Mossberg 500 with a Mesa Tactical 6 shot shell holder:

1st round (the 1 closest to the barrel) brass up. The reason for this is it is easier to pull the round up and throw it in the open ejection port and chamber a round.

The remaining 5 rounds are brass down. The reason for this is the motion to put the rounds in the tube is smoother and has fewer steps.

I put the shells in so the leading edge of the brass just touches the the metal of the shell holder.

My advice to you is to buy 6 "Snap Caps" and practice the method I described. It requires fine motor control so you need to practice it a lot.

Hope my advice helps :wavey: