AR Red Dots? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR Red Dots?

J. Parker
01-08-2011, 21:12
Hey good folks,
What are the least expensive, highest quality red dots on the market?

~Thanks, John

NeverMore1701
01-08-2011, 21:26
Primary Arms Aimpoint clones, either their T1 or M4 clones.

http://primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=169

glock21xxx
01-08-2011, 21:27
I have a Primary Arms with a high rise mount, honestly - this is my favorite red dot at the moment.

Agent6-3/8
01-09-2011, 00:07
Another vote for Primary Arms. I bought the T1 clone before Christmas and couldn't be happier with it. A friend of mine liked it well enough that he bought one as well. They are very affordable and seem to be very nicely made. IMO, for a range gun and the average shooter they are an excellent option.

mjkeat
01-09-2011, 00:18
What ^they all said.

Pfunk
01-09-2011, 00:52
Suck it up and pay the $ for an eotech. If you decide you don't like it you can get most of your money back selling it. There are times to save money and times to invest in quality. I personally would not put a questionable optic on any firearm. Check out ebay, I just picked up a new 512 (AA battery model) for $400.

MrMurphy
01-09-2011, 01:10
There's Aimpoint, and then there's everything below it.

Boxerglocker
01-09-2011, 02:37
I got the Primary Arms T1 clone and am really liking it. Some say suck it up and go with the Aimpoint T1 right off the bat but finances did not allow. After evaluating I have decided to go with one and am saving to go with the original.

Broncbuster
01-09-2011, 07:40
Another vote for Primary Arms for a general range gun/ plinker. My view is-- for the price they are a great optic. It gave me a chance to try out a Micro before I spent $500 on the real thing. If you like it and want to upgrade later then the PA will go well on a .22

Tomac
01-09-2011, 07:59
Another vote for Primary Arms if it's for recreational use. If it's for possible "serious social use" then get an Aimpoint or Eotech.
Tomac

tripleL
01-09-2011, 09:38
Another vote for Primary Arms if it's for recreational use. If it's for possible "serious social use" then get an Aimpoint or Eotech.
Tomac

I'm still trying to decide between the Eotech and the Burris AR-332 for my MP15...mostly recreational, home defense, SHTF...opt for the Primary Arms instead?
Thanks for the input!

Tomac
01-09-2011, 09:53
I'm still trying to decide between the Eotech and the Burris AR-332 for my MP15...mostly recreational, home defense, SHTF...opt for the Primary Arms instead?
Thanks for the input!

Eotech shines at CQB distances and is good to at least 300m (my own tests) whereas the Burris gives you fixed magnification which hurts speed of engagement at close range plus is far more critical of cheekweld & eye relief.
If this is for possible HD/SHTF use then go w/the Eotech, IMHO. Marshall at Primary Arms specifically states that the Primary Arms optics aren't meant for serious use.
Tomac

tel0004
01-09-2011, 10:15
I don't like the eotech. I find it too busy and distracting. I would much rather have a 2MOA dot, such as an Aimpoint, or primary arms, etc.

Its just my personal preference. I would strongly prefer testing one out in person before buying it online, you may love it, or you may hate it, but its better to find that out before it arrives at your house.

timberwoof
01-09-2011, 11:08
I've got a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot, and haven't had any problems with it yet.

jlpskydive
01-09-2011, 11:26
I don't like the eotech. I find it too busy and distracting. I would much rather have a 2MOA dot, such as an Aimpoint, or primary arms, etc.

Its just my personal preference. I would strongly prefer testing one out in person before buying it online, you may love it, or you may hate it, but its better to find that out before it arrives at your house.

Or you can get and Eotech with the dot only like I did.
http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=4&cat=2

BTW. I have several PA red dots as well and they all work great and hold zero fine.

AK_Stick
01-09-2011, 12:52
Trijicon, Aimpoint, and Eotech, are without a doubt, the top 3. We can argue the merits of the RMR, the Aimpoint line, and the Eo till the cows come home, with no clear winner, but they're definitely the top teir of red dots.

Slightly below them, we have Doctor, Elcan, Leupold, and some other nice red dots.

Then you have the "range toy" red dots, that will work fine for 90% of shooters, and won't survive much use by the other 10%, of those, you have primary arms knockoffs, burris fast fire's, and the gambit of others clones.

It all really depends on what you want to spend. I would say save the money up, and get one of the first three. Because you really can notice the difference between the burris/primary arms level stuff, and the Eotech/Aimpoint/Trijicon level stuff.

tripleL
01-09-2011, 13:03
Eotech shines at CQB distances and is good to at least 300m (my own tests) whereas the Burris gives you fixed magnification which hurts speed of engagement at close range plus is far more critical of cheekweld & eye relief.
If this is for possible HD/SHTF use then go w/the Eotech, IMHO. Marshall at Primary Arms specifically states that the Primary Arms optics aren't meant for serious use.
Tomac

Great point...I think the price difference is $100.. Burris AR-332 $300 and the EOTech 512 $400...I have $200 in gift cards so I may as well jump up to the EOTech :cool:

My MP15 has front fixed iron sites and removable carry handle. With that said, the EOTech will fit on the flat top and the red dot will line up with the front iron site, correct? I guess purchase a BUIS as well?

Glock21Owner
01-09-2011, 13:03
I have the Vortex StrikeFire with red and green dots as well as the Vortex SPARC. Both are excellent red dot sights, high quality and very reasonably priced. EOTech's are nice but the Vortex sights are an excellent alternative that will give you years of reliable service.

AK_Stick
01-09-2011, 13:10
Great point...I think the price difference is $100.. Burris AR-332 $300 and the EOTech 512 $400...I have $200 in gift cards so I may as well jump up to the EOTech :cool:

My MP15 has front fixed iron sites and removable carry handle. With that said, the EOTech will fit on the flat top and the red dot will line up with the front iron site, correct? I guess purchase a BUIS as well?

Depends on the height of your mount, my EO reticle's center dot, floats just above the front sight post.

Tomac
01-09-2011, 13:23

Because there's virtually no parallax w/any of the quality red dot sights, once sighted-in the dot should coincide w/your BUIS when aiming through the BUIS.
The Eotech 512 will give you an absolute cowitness w/your BUIS while the 517 (same as the 512 but w/a 7mm raised base & side control buttons [which don't get in the way of your rear BUIS]) will give you a 1/3 cowitness w/your BUIS.
Always have BUIS, regardless of which red dot sight you have (I use Magpul MBUS, they're affordable and good enough for BUIS, YMMV).
HTH, keep us posted!...
Tomac

dale mcminnis
01-09-2011, 17:26
I just got a Millet DMS-1 with Burris P.E.R.P.A. rings.To me it's the best of both worlds.It can be used as a reflex sight at the one setting,and 500 hundred meters at the four setting(I dought I can shoot that far,but you still have magnification with it).For $291.oo for the scope,rings,and Butler creek end caps not a bad deal for what you get.I really like it so far.Dale.

BBJones
01-09-2011, 21:42
Trijicon, Aimpoint, and Eotech, are without a doubt, the top 3. We can argue the merits of the RMR, the Aimpoint line, and the Eo till the cows come home, with no clear winner, but they're definitely the top teir of red dots.

Slightly below them, we have Doctor, Elcan, Leupold, and some other nice red dots.

Then you have the "range toy" red dots, that will work fine for 90% of shooters, and won't survive much use by the other 10%, of those, you have primary arms knockoffs, burris fast fire's, and the gambit of others clones.

It all really depends on what you want to spend. I would say save the money up, and get one of the first three. Because you really can notice the difference between the burris/primary arms level stuff, and the Eotech/Aimpoint/Trijicon level stuff.

+1. Buy quality and never regret it.

Broncbuster
01-09-2011, 23:18
I just got a Millet DMS-1 with Burris P.E.R.P.A. rings.To me it's the best of both worlds.It can be used as a reflex sight at the one setting,and 500 hundred meters at the four setting(I dought I can shoot that far,but you still have magnification with it).For $291.oo for the scope,rings,and Butler creek end caps not a bad deal for what you get.I really like it so far.Dale.
Dale, how fast is the reticle to pick up at 1x? I have been looking at the DMS or the PA 1-4x24 and ws curious if it was as fast as a Aimpoint or EO.

RMTactical
01-10-2011, 00:27
Dale, how fast is the reticle to pick up at 1x? I have been looking at the DMS or the PA 1-4x24 and ws curious if it was as fast as a Aimpoint or EO.

Its not bad. To me it was like a hybrid between an eotech and an acog. However, although it was decent in both ways I didn't think it was the best at anything. It was heavy too. Good price though.

RMTactical
01-10-2011, 00:28
Oh and to the OP, the vortex looks good and has gotten good reviews from what I have read.

Chuche2
01-10-2011, 00:42
I have the Vortex StrikeFire with red and green dots as well as the Vortex SPARC. Both are excellent red dot sights, high quality and very reasonably priced. EOTech's are nice but the Vortex sights are an excellent alternative that will give you years of reliable service.
I have the Vortex StrikeFire also. Can't beat it for the price. Have a Trijicon TA01 4 power on another carbine. I like that too.

dale mcminnis
01-10-2011, 09:34
Dale, how fast is the reticle to pick up at 1x? I have been looking at the DMS or the PA 1-4x24 and ws curious if it was as fast as a Aimpoint or EO.I can't really speak on how fast it is compared to aimpoint,or eo I have'nt done much shooting with ethier,but I plan to do some carbine matches with it as soon as I get outfitted with some more game gear.:supergrin:

Captains1911
01-10-2011, 14:41
Tomac

Exactly what he said. Don't forget that primary Arms are still Chinese made knock-offs. Granted they are the best Chinese knock-offs you will find, and Marshall will take care of you if anything ever goes wrong, but they are what they are, not intended for defensive purposes.

Captains1911
01-10-2011, 14:43
Thanks for the input!

Recreational use and home defense/SHTF are 2 very different things my friend....

As I said in my post above, for a defensive optic go Aimpoint (preferably) or EOTech or go home, period. I would not trust my life to a Chinese knock-off.

73JER
01-10-2011, 19:11
Eotech is what you want. All others are fighting for 2nd place.

nipperwolf
01-10-2011, 19:15

:upeyes:

trlcavscout
01-10-2011, 19:28

:whistling: Its your story tell it how you want.

For me I wouldnt grab the AR for home defense, and although I have used some of the best red dots around I prefer iron. I use a standard tower and rear fold down for coyote hunting/target. But I am gonna get an aimpoint this year just to have, doubt I will use it much though.

jrs93accord
01-10-2011, 20:12
Primary Arms M4

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/001-2.jpg

Primary Arms M3

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/008.jpg

ottomatic
01-10-2011, 20:30
Here's another vote for the Vortex SPARC. Yes, I also have a 512 and a Trijicon, both of which I love, but I would have no hesitation taking the SPARC anywhere.

locosteelersfan
01-10-2011, 20:30
Cause if you pay 500 or so for something, it will never break.

The difference between them is one is made for combat, which is not SD. Combat lasts several days where you hare running, diving, crouching, crawling, fighting elements, etc, etc, etc....

SD/HD you post up and wait for the badguy to turn come into sight. Its lasts a few shots and a simple 9mm glock can be more then adequate, as is any optic/gun/round you test and use and find to be reliable.

At the end of the day, eotech, aimpoint, whatever....you still have a BUIS.