Pseudo "KaBoom!" ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo "KaBoom!" ??

ADK_40GLKr
01-08-2011, 20:29
I heard a story from an BP/NG armorer/range guy that someone at his range had mistakenly (?) loaded 9mm ammo in a .40 mag. and fired it through a G22. He said he heard the different "bang" and stopped the firing. The shooter said "Gee, I wondered how I got so many shells into that mag!" Apparently didn't do any damage but created a very loud and different report.

I'd think you'd get a lot of blowback around the smaller casing as well as around the projectile itself as well as no power or accuracy

Has anybody else ever experienced this?

Don't try this at home!

8th SPS USAF
01-08-2011, 20:47
We had a guy shoot 223 out of a 762/39 cleared it and did it a second time.
Saw guy shoot 40 out of 45acp 357 Sig out of a 40 Darwin material !!!

8th

CitizenOfDreams
01-08-2011, 21:10
This is one of the examples why (caliber) diversity could be a bad thing.

familyman357
01-09-2011, 10:15
We had that happen at my range a few weeks ago. Guy had both a 22 and a 19. I guess he had a brain fart, because he loaded a 9mm round into his 22's magazine.

When he fired it, the report sounded weird (of course) and there was a shower of sparks from the muzzle. The case swelled at the chamber, but remained in one piece. The pistol didn't cycle. I didn't even bother to look for where the bullet went.

The case came out easily enough with a pencil (the extractor couldn't grab onto the the smaller rim of the 9mm) and there was no damage.

That case now resides at the range as a reminder to pay attention to what you're doing. :whistling:

Objekt
01-09-2011, 14:30
Plausible. Apparently, 9mm rounds will feed from a magazine designed for .40 S&W in some guns. The two cartridges are fairly close in diameter, after all.

I know I've occasionally found 9mm brass that was mysteriously swelled to .40 S&W diameter at the mouth. I guess that's how it happens.

SDGlock23
01-10-2011, 19:12
I have found 9mm brass at the range that clearly was fired in a .40! 9mm stamped, but blown out to .40 cal, not pretty!