need a new shotgun for dove to geese [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need a new shotgun for dove to geese

gjk5
01-08-2011, 22:08
I have decided I want to get a semi auto 12ga. I grew up hunting whitewing but have not hunted much else birdwise, plan on waterfowl, upland, geese and turkey. I have a handful of shotguns but no semi autos. Was planning on trading in my 870 Magnum for a semi auto, preferrably a Remington 1100/1187since I have all the chokes including a TruGlo turkey choke, but doesn't have to be.

Any suggestions on a decent, reliable, not too pricey semi? I kow I can get a smoking deal on an older gun at my local shop (got my buddy a nice Browning Lite 12 for $300) but many older ones are 2 3/4" only and some do not take choke tubes.

Like to keep it under $500 and have no problem with used.

TScottW99
01-09-2011, 06:31
I bought a Stoeger 2000 about 6 years ago for waterfowl hunting. Since buying that gun I have hunted doves, turkeys, predators, small game and waterfowl with it in weather from 90* to 10*. It has been super reliable, accurate and a joy to shoot and carry.

Now two of my other hunting buddies have bought one due to mine being so good and they are both extremely happy.

Mine came with five chokes including a turkey choke. I have added two extended waterfowl chokes.

Christmas eve 2010. Three out of the four of us was shooting a Stoeger 2000. Everyone of the geese (14) was shot with a Stoeger.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/TScottW99/Christmaseve2010A.jpg

New Years 2008. My friend and I with some mallards in the blind. I am holding my Stoeger.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/TScottW99/DSCN0153.jpg

Spring gobbler season. Myself, the gobbler and my Stoeger on the walk out...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/TScottW99/TheWalkI.jpg

noway
01-09-2011, 08:20
If you want cheap, than a charles daly would fit the build, but I think a mossberg 935/930 would be the best ideal autoloader and with good quality, parts and support.

If you shop around, you can find these mossberg for about $500 or less and take advantage of any rebates for free shells or accessories or extra barrel

I myself shoot a Bennelli M1 Field :cool:

sourdough44
01-09-2011, 10:00
How about an M2 with a 26" barrel? May be a little high on the price. The next would be a Browning Gold with a 26" too, either in a 3" chamber.

Big Bird
01-12-2011, 07:54
I guess it all really depends. I hunt a lot. I hunt hard alot. Duck hunting is as hard on equipment as you will find. Literally clean my guns starting with a hose after a lot of hunts. They get dropped in muddy rice field with 2' deep water, banged around in boats, shoot after a couple of years the camo coating is worn through in the high touch areas.

I own two Benelli's, a Vinci that's seen 2 seasons and a SBE that has seen 10 or 12 seasons. They have never missed a beat--even after being submerged in water or covered in mud from the ATV. As Phil Robertson says--a duck gun only has to do three things.... Boom Boom Boom.... every time.

Dennis in MA
01-12-2011, 12:25
I'm still keen on that new Remmy Versa Max autoloader that can handle multiple shell lengths and adjust the gas system to compensate. Seems cleaner than the 1100 series as well. I've got an 1187. I think I can get about 100 shots off with it before it gums up. At about 50, I can feel the action slowing down.

It's waaay above most shooters typical price range, but DANG! Adjustable for LOP, drop and cast??? Lots of cushyness??? Choke tubes included???

So my "this has to be GT because someone ignored my parameters" recommendation is to save one more year and just get this one.

Big Bird
01-12-2011, 17:51
I'm still keen on that new Remmy Versa Max autoloader that can handle multiple shell lengths and adjust the gas system to compensate. Seems cleaner than the 1100 series as well. I've got an 1187. I think I can get about 100 shots off with it before it gums up. At about 50, I can feel the action slowing down.

It's waaay above most shooters typical price range, but DANG! Adjustable for LOP, drop and cast??? Lots of cushyness??? Choke tubes included???

So my "this has to be GT because someone ignored my parameters" recommendation is to save one more year and just get this one.

Blah...get rid of the gas system. Buy a Benelli. Inertia shotguns are where its at...no gas tube to clean or ports to adjust. I can load my SBE with 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2" shells all in one magazine and it cycles them all. It cycles light 12 gauge target loads fine too... Boom, Boom, Boom...

I have to give a shout out to something I tried this weekend that made me smile. My Benelli was acting a little sluggish in the duck blind this past Saturday. Of course the temps were in the 20's with a wind chill that put it in the low single digits. I chambered my first shell and noticed the bolt on the Vinci moved kinda slow. Gun also cycled kinda slow. But never malfunctioned. I was shooting 3" Federal Black Clouds.

When I got back to the cabin that night one of the other members of the duck club asked me about it. I told him it was probably gummed up because of the gun oil I used to clean and lube the weapon the week before..which I think was CLP, but might have been Lucas Gun Oil as well. In any case I think the lube gummed up in the cold.

He laid some Hornady One Shot Gun cleaner on my and said its the only cleaner and lube Benelli recommends. So I shrugged my shoulders and gave it a try. Stuff works great! Dissolves old dirt and residue and leaves behind a nice coating of dry lube. Sunday was even colder but the Benelli showed no signs of sluggishness from gummed up lube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=270323

I plan on trying it with my Glocks as well.

Good stuff!

PlasticGuy
01-13-2011, 19:09
My personal opinion, as both an experience bird hunter and as a guy who spent a couple years as a hunting department manager at Sportsman's Warehouse, is that $500 is not a realistic price range when buying a semi-auto shotgun that is expected to feed a wide variety of loads. You might get one that works, but you might not. I really think that the $800-$1000 range is the starting point for the truly reliable self loading shotguns.

The models that I've had the best luck with are the Beretta 391 and the Benelli M2 and SBE series. The Remingtons are known for not liking lighter loads, and the Brownings are nearly as bad. We had a lot of returns on Stoeger shotguns for parts breakage. The Franchi line is very good, but prices are close enough to Benelli that I would spend the extra money for the real thing.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

gruntmedik
01-14-2011, 18:20
A friend has a Mossberg 935 that he took dove hunting. Wound up being a single shot, as it wouldn't reliably cycle dove loads.

gjk5
01-14-2011, 19:37
thanks fellas. as far as the price range, I am seeing MUCH lower used prices at my local shop, and I do not mind used at all.

Heading out tomorrow AM with a shotgun, shells, chorizo and egg tacos, two thermos of coffee and a bunch of jerky I made from the deer and elk I took.

noway
01-15-2011, 09:23
thanks fellas. as far as the price range, I am seeing MUCH lower used prices at my local shop, and I do not mind used at all.

Heading out tomorrow AM with a shotgun, shells, chorizo and egg tacos, two thermos of coffee and a bunch of jerky I made from the deer and elk I took.

Give us a after field report when you get done. Should be interesting ;)

gjk5
01-15-2011, 15:34
Good time and full bellies had by all. I got two geese and three merganser.

The good old 870 worked like a champ.

Chevy327
01-17-2011, 18:31
The Baikal 153 semi-auto that shoots 3 1/2' shells is ultra reliable and very affordable. They have a great reputation among waterfowlers.

Remington also marked the gun under their Spartan line. I think it was the Spartan 453. Even the camo model was around $450. the black Baikals went for much less. ($359 or so)

Very rugged...very robust!

gjk5
01-22-2011, 22:46
I found a nice used Benelli SBEII, 28", 2 3/4-3 1/2", camo for $700 today, put it on layaway.

GeorgiaGlockMan
01-29-2011, 22:05
I wish that I would have never shot a benelli SBE2.

It made me hate all of my other shotguns (and I have a few).

That SBE2 slightly out of your price range just saved you thousands in the long run.

SHG21
01-29-2011, 22:11
After saving for a long time I finally bought my Black Eagle 2 last season. I love it. It doesn't gum up like my old 1100 in cold weather and shoots everything. Plus, I'm not pumping my old nova or 870.

If I had unlimited money I'd buy a shotgun for each geese, duck, quail, pheasant, deer, etc. IMO, for me right now my SBE is the is the best gun I have for covering them all.

rfb45colt
01-30-2011, 09:16
A friend has a Mossberg 935 that he took dove hunting. Wound up being a single shot, as it wouldn't reliably cycle dove loads.

That's because it's not intended to shoot light dove loads. Read the owner's manual. It's a "magnum" that's built to shoot and handle 3" or 3-1/2" heavy waterfowl or turkey loads. If he intended to hunt doves, or shoot trap/skeet, then he should've bought the 930 instead. I've got a 935, and if you shoot left-handed like I do, the ambi thumb safety is perfect.

My duck hunting partners have a Benelli M2, a Stoeger 2000, a Mossberg 935, and a Winchester Super-X 2. All have been flawless. So has my Beretta ES100 Pintail, which has the Benelli inertia-action... but I cannot reverse the safety to left-hand & it doesn't shoot 3-1/2" shells, so I bought the Mossberg 935 (the 930/935 are the only semi-autos on the market with an ambi safety). Paid $437 for the black version with 26" barrel, at the local Walmart just last month.

Cabelas has the Stoeger 2000 (in camo) on sale right now for $450. It has the Benelli type inertia action. My hunting partner uses his for turkey, waterfowl, and he shoots it in a trap league every week. Zero problems, in 3 years of heavy use. If they made it with an ambi safety, I'd already have one.