Newby Question about Eotech [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newby Question about Eotech

glock031
01-09-2011, 14:11
Hey guys i just got a decent deal on a eotech 516. Total cost was 398.05 with free shipping after the 5% off at optics planet. This is my first red dot. Im mounting it on a colt 6920 carbine. When im lining up dot on the target do i need to always align the dot with front sight? Use just like the dot is serving as a rear sight?

glock22357
01-09-2011, 14:17
You don't need to use your front or rear sight at all. An EOtech is a weapon sight all by itself. Once you have it sighted in, that red dot is where the round is going.

glock031
01-09-2011, 14:24
You don't need to use your front or rear sight at all. An EOtech is a weapon sight all by itself. Once you have it sighted in, that red dot is where the round is going.

Kinda like a self leveling system built in it? I know i should try to hold the rifle level. So your saying there's no "tilt"? That's interesting...

MisterPX
01-09-2011, 14:28
When using the red dot, IGNORE the iron sights.

glock22357
01-09-2011, 14:38
Kinda like a self leveling system built in it? I know i should try to hold the rifle level. So your saying there's no "tilt"? That's interesting...

I'm not sure what you mean by tilt.

You'll notice that the circle and dot move around within the sighting window as you move your rifle around. That dot is always lined up the way it's sighted in. You don't need any iron sights at all, you can just use your Eotech.

These types of sights (HWSs and RDSs, as well as scopes) are the reason for flat-top, no iron sight rifles. Did you get an owners manual with your EOtech? That would be a good place to start.

boomhower
01-09-2011, 14:54
Wherever the dot is when you pull the trigger is where the bullet is going. It doesn't matter where the dot is in the window or how you have the gun positioned. Ignore the iron sites, they don't matter a bit when using the dot.

Braden
01-09-2011, 14:58

Well, not entirely. By simply moving my head/cheek on the stock I can make that red dot move just about anywhere in the glass I want it to go without ever changing the direction the rifle is pointing. You still have to have consistent cheek placement after you sight it in.

glock22357
01-09-2011, 15:03
Well, not entirely. By simply moving my head/cheek on the stock I can make that red dot move just about anywhere in the glass I want it to go without ever changing the direction the rifle is pointing. You still have to have consistent cheek placement after you sight it in.

What point of mine are you disagreeing with?

Where that red dot is in the glass doesn't matter, wherever that dot is is where the rifle is pointed. You don't even need to have your cheek on the rifle if you don't want to.

Braden
01-09-2011, 15:06

Nevermind. I'm new to the red dot thing and didn't know what I was talking about. What everyone else said. Iron sights, cheek placement...none of it matters.

glock031
01-09-2011, 15:42
Thanks guys. Yea i read the entire owners manual word by word. Wasn't really much 'use' info in there. The owners manual that came with my 516 is made for the model 557 ar223, with a seperate card stating the differences between the two models.

My questions were answered on this topic for POA. - Thxs

glock22357
01-09-2011, 15:48
Thanks guys. Yea i read the entire owners manual word by word. Wasn't really much 'use' info in there. The owners manual that came with my 516 is made for the model 557 ar223, with a seperate card stating the differences between the two models.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Eotechs....I love mine.

Some other people like Aimpoints with their paltry 2 or 4 MOA, but real men must have 1MOA, and a Holographic Weapon Sight, not a measly Red Dot Sight.:rofl::rofl:

Captains1911
01-09-2011, 21:05
Welcome to the wonderful world of Eotechs....I love mine.

Some other people like Aimpoints with their paltry 2 or 4 MOA, but real men must have 1MOA, and a Holographic Weapon Sight, not a measly Red Dot Sight.:rofl::rofl:

I guess that means that "real men" also prefer an unreliable battery draining optic...

ravenkeeper98
01-09-2011, 21:13

Remember, keep both eyes open as well. I have a 512 and like it.

glock22357
01-09-2011, 21:21
I guess that means that "real men" also prefer an unreliable battery draining optic...

Mine does not have that issue. I have not heard a 1st hand account of that issue. Care to share?

Captains1911
01-09-2011, 21:30
Mine does not have that issue. I have not heard a 1st hand account of that issue. Care to share?

It is a very common issue with EOTechs, look around a little and you will find many many accounts. I had a 512 that I would put fresh batteries in, turn off, and 2 months later the batteries were dead. It's ashame because I do prefer the EOTech reticle.

It's even mentioned several times in this thread http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299075

glock22357
01-09-2011, 21:41
It is a very common issue with EOTechs, look around a little and you will find many many accounts. I had a 512 that I would put fresh batteries in, turn off, and 2 months later the batteries were dead. It's ashame because I do prefer the EOTech reticle.

It's even mentioned several times in this thread http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299075

It's a shame you got a bad Eotech. How long ago did you own this bummer of an Eotech.

Tucson_1
01-09-2011, 21:48
Because the OP's question has been answered and the topic of reliability has come up I'll chime in... I have an EoTech 512. I have experienced no issue with it. The only issue I ever had was with the Bushnell Holosight (Eotech's early design) is having accidentaly left the sight in the "on" mode and having the battary run down. I personally believe this is the cause of most reported battary life issues.

glock22357
01-09-2011, 21:52
Because the OP's question has been answered and the topic of reliability has come up I'll chime in... I have an EoTech 512. I have experienced no issue with it. The only issue I ever had was with the Bushnell Holosight (Eotech's early design) is having accidentaly left the sight in the "on" mode and having the battary run down. I personally believe this is the cause of most reported battary life issues.

And people not turning them off is a larger issue with Eotechs, because their batteries only last months, instead of the years that Aimpoints go.

I'm good with 8000 or so hours of use (vrs. 50000), the reticle, speed and precision of the Eotech are worth an extra set of batteries every so often.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-10-2011, 06:51
+1 EoTechs reticle is ACE. Carry spare batteries and since I don't go into battle with demon hordes...if they run out I'll flip up my BUIS...then when home I'll replace them...

Captains1911
01-10-2011, 08:08

The EOTech is supposed to turn itself off automatically after a few hours, so this shouldn't be an issue. As for an optic automatically turning itself off, well that raises other reliability concerns....

Like I said, my EOtech would have fresh batteries and be turned off, and would still drain them. This was with alkalines, I have heard of people having better luck with lithiums.

I owned that optic for about a year before I sold it and bought an Aimpoint Comp ML3, couldn't be happier. Like I said, I do prefer the EOTech's reticle, but to me it's not worth the reliability issues. Perhaps one day I will own another once they have ironed out all of their issues, I'll probably still be on the same Aimpoint battery when that time comes....

Captains1911
01-10-2011, 08:10
And people not turning them off is a larger issue with Eotechs, because their batteries only last months, instead of the years that Aimpoints go.

I'm good with 8000 or so hours of use (vrs. 50000), the reticle, speed and precision of the Eotech are worth an extra set of batteries every so often.

Like I said, the EOTech is supposed to turn off automatically after a few hours, so forgetting to turn it off shouldn't matter.

rkwrichard
01-10-2011, 09:13
I love my Eotech 512.. My lithium batteries have worked now for over a year in mine.. I guess I got the one good one..Ha Ha

cowboy1964
01-10-2011, 09:31
It is a very common issue with EOTechs, look around a little and you will find many many accounts. I had a 512 that I would put fresh batteries in, turn off, and 2 months later the batteries were dead.

Were you using non-rechargable lithium batteries? That's the only way to go.

Captains1911
01-10-2011, 09:45
Were you using non-rechargable lithium batteries? That's the only way to go.

Nope, I was using regular alkalines, similar to the batteries supplied with the optic form the factory. I know people have reported better luck with lithiums.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-10-2011, 11:58
Mine came with lithiums O.o Aimpoints rock for battery life and easy manual on off. Eotechs field of view and reticle do it for me too...

fuzzy03cls
01-10-2011, 12:15
reliability concerns....
Could you have sent it back to Eotech for a warranty claim? Could you have had a spare set of batteries? Could you have used lithium's?
I mean we could go on & on, basically it's what the end user is willing to deal with to get a product to satisfy them.

lawman800
01-11-2011, 00:46
Don't ever call the EOTech a red dot!

It's a HWS - Holographic Weapon Sight. It's the same system used in fighter jets.

An Aimpoint or BSA is a red dot.

The end.

P.S. Yes, I have an EOTech.

ColdBlooded
01-11-2011, 01:30
I sure like my XPS2-0 a lot.

Boxerglocker
01-11-2011, 02:56
I have a question or two… I'm trying to decide on a genuine Aimpoint T1/H1 red dot or a Eotech holographic weapon sight. I currently have a PA micro on my DDM4V2 right now.

I understand the whole 1/3 co-witness thing on the micro red dot. How does or doesn't co-witnessing work with a Eotech HWS? Would I have to, or would in your opinions want to replace my current DD A1.5 non-folding rear with a folding BUIS?

Another question, in regards to mounting options my understanding if going with say a 512 the mount is included and that is all that is needed, is that the case?

My thinking of going with the Eotech is the profile on the rail not having it sitting so high up, for some reason the profile of the micro RD with the riser doesn't appeal to me much. I’m also very use to HWS displays and my eyes seem to adjust to them more as they are familiar from my years in working with them in aviation. The batery life issue doesn't bother me as I am one of those once a year change out battery type of guys anyways.

Thanks

NeverMore1701
01-11-2011, 07:18
Most EOTechs, including the 512 and XPS, are absolute co-witness, meaning the iron sights and dot all line up in the middle of the window. I don't like using a fixed rear with a red dot, but many do, so that's personal preference. Try taking your rear off and seeing if you like it better - that's how it will look with a folded sight.

Also, I'd go with the XPS 2.0 over the 512, for many reasons. It's shorter, lighter, takes the same battery as most weapon lights, has the transverse battery to eliminate pistonig, etc.

Captains1911
01-11-2011, 07:42
I have a question or two I'm trying to decide on a genuine Aimpoint T1/H1 red dot or a Eotech holographic weapon sight. I currently have a PA micro on my DDM4V2 right now.

I understand the whole 1/3 co-witness thing on the micro red dot. How does or doesn't co-witnessing work with a Eotech HWS? Would I have to, or would in your opinions want to replace my current DD A1.5 non-folding rear with a folding BUIS?

Another question, in regards to mounting options my understanding if going with say a 512 the mount is included and that is all that is needed, is that the case?

My thinking of going with the Eotech is the profile on the rail not having it sitting so high up, for some reason the profile of the micro RD with the riser doesn't appeal to me much. Im also very use to HWS displays and my eyes seem to adjust to them more as they are familiar from my years in working with them in aviation. The batery life issue doesn't bother me as I am one of those once a year change out battery type of guys anyways.

Thanks

Most EOTechs, such as the 512, will provide an absolute co-witness when mounted directly to the upper receiver rail, no additional mount is required. There are some models that provide a lower 1/3 when mounted to the rail.

For those models such as the 512, if you desire a lower 1/3 co-witness, then a riser mount is needed.

Most people don't use a fixed rear BUIS with an absolute co-witness, but it is a matter of personal preference. I prefer a folding BUIS for both an absolute and a lower 1/3 co-witness.

cowboy1964
01-11-2011, 09:05
Excellent video explaining absolute vs lower 1/3 co-witness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj3NY2jwDEo